• unenlightened
    I have been posting a number of quite serious, sometimes controversial threads of late, and I expect and welcome some disagreement and criticism. And from ordinary members, I expect and tolerate as best I can, a degree of uncomprehending dismissal. But I expect moderators to be at least a little bit more insightful, or if not, then cautiously charitable.

I do not expect what I find to have been happening; to be followed from thread to thread by a moderator, not providing thoughtful counter-arguments, but repetitive blanket denials, and now outright mockery and insult. I am talking about @Hanover, and I would like it to stop.
  • Terrapin Station
    Yeah, I'm not at all a fan of the way this board is moderated, but the vast majority of boards have moderation problems. Moderators tend to be control freaks/tend to wind up with Napoleon complexes simply due to the fact that they finally have some power in their limited world.

Moderation is best when it's pretty much a hands-off policy aside from spam or things that might reasonably get a site into legal trouble. I think it's better when moderators don't interact with a site's regulars very often, because that tends to lead to cliquey behavior, it often leads to grudges, etc.
  • Herg
    Hanover's favourite philosopher is Hanover. Presumably Hanover's favourite fan is also Hanover. Narcissism much?
  • BC
    Maybe the only people who can moderate properly are people who really don't want to be moderators? The trouble with those ideal people is that they just won't volunteer? Moderation looks to me to be an infinitely thankless job.

On the other hand, apart from moderating, Hanover has made some very cogent arguments on various issues.

Hanover's favourite philosopher is Hanover.Herg

Let he who is not his own favorite philosopher cast the first stone.
  • tim wood
    I do not expect what I find to have been happening; to be followed from thread to thread by a moderator, not providing thoughtful counter-arguments, but repetitive blanket denials, and now outright mockery and insult.unenlightened

Is it the moderation that offends? Is the oppositional behaviour a function of moderation? Or is it just that someone who happens to be a moderator also argues with you.
  • BC
    I think it's better when moderators don't interact with a site's regulars very often, because that tends to lead to cliquey behavior, it often leads to grudges, etcTerrapin Station

But interaction is one of the pleasures of philosophy. Otherwise, we could just write in our private journals and publish posthumously. Who wants to moderate a philosophy forum who isn't interested in what people have to say?

The trouble with Hanover is that his bite is worse than his snark.
  • tim wood
    If I moderated, OPs would have to contain a definition section, and outrageousness would have a short shelf-life. What is outrageousness? Nonsense, for a start. All of which is to say that I appreciate the moderators. I suspect that if not for them, this site would be flooded with the kinds of nonsense that afflicts many other sites.
  • BC
    to be followed from thread to thread by a moderator, not providing thoughtful counter-arguments, but repetitive blanket denials, and now outright mockery and insultunenlightened

The specter of Hanover is haunting Unenlightened.
  • RegularGuy

Any moderator who lets me spew my paranoid rants in the Lounge is cool with me. I think they do a great job here. :100:
  • tim wood
    Giving new meaning to the term, "lounge-lizard."
  • unenlightened
    Is it the moderation that offends? Is the oppositional behaviour a function of moderation? Or is it just that someone who happens to be a moderator also argues with you.tim wood

It was the latter. And I have had an apology and we are friends again. Well almost. Complaint addressed and withdrawn. Thanks everyone.
  • Baden
    Good to hear. You're both decent blokes (except for @Hanover, of course).
  • Amity
    Any moderator who lets me spew my paranoid rants in the Lounge is cool with me. I think they do a great job here. :100:Noah Te Stroete

Interesting how you wave your mental health issues around.

Given I have left your lounge rant, I will reply to your last post to me here:

You said : So the term “disturbed” wasn’t directed at me? Do you know the history of stigma the mentally ill have gone through? Yes, you’re a bully, too.

Yes. I know all about mental health issues and stigma of various kinds.
    I also know how certain individuals can manipulate others by playing the victim.

Again, I am no bully. The term 'disturbed' was used in a general sense, as descriptive as the word 'sexist'.

The mods allow this.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.