• frank
    Fellow members: how do you decide to flag a moderator?
  • unenlightened
    I treat them exactly the same as an ordinary cabbie.
  • frank
    Have you ever flagged a moderator or complained about an action?
  • S
    I use my judgement.
  • unenlightened
    Oh yes. But I don't always get what I want.
  • frank
    Could you share the story? Or would you rather not?
  • praxis
    By considering how much time I have to waste.
  • frank
    :lol:

So you've never flagged a moderator's post?
  • frank
    I've never flagged anybody. I prefer to face people directly. I would have thought that flagging moderators or even complaining about their actions would be a waste of time.

Anybody see it a differently and want to share your experiences?

Just a little internet sociology in the making. :wink:
  • 0 thru 9
    Well... after much red tape I finally found out the # to call. It’s 1-800-BTT-HURT...

I have it on speed dial and call at least twice a week.

Sorry, bad joke. Hope you can work out the situation, if there is one. As for flagging, doesn’t one double click on the icon with the dots? A flag then appears. (If that’s what you’re referring to).

Also, hope you are not about to go down in flames and get banned. Happening kinda frequently lately, it seems. Your posts and insights are appreciated, whether I happen to agree or not with the particular point. Do what you think best, of course. Good luck. :victory:
  • frank
    It's interesting that your first thought would be that I'm on the road to being banned.

I have no issue. Baden told me in another thread that I should have complained about StreetlightS merging threads about Trump into the lounge thread which has lower standards of discussion.

But you're saying I would have to be ButtHurt to do that? There seems to be some disagreement here.

You kind of enjoy harassing people who complain don't you? I picked up on that.
  • 0 thru 9

Sorry man, just a lame joke and a handful of assumptions on my part. No offense. Carry on. But several members have seemed to self-destruct recently. Glad to hear that you won’t be the next. :up:
  • frank
    So you've never flagged a moderator?
  • 0 thru 9

No, not really. I think I once flagged a comment by someone who was just spamming or obviously trolling. Disagreed with comments numerous times of course, but not much of a flagger. Which seems odd to me, since I’m always sending food back in restaurants.
  • frank
    I don't send food back unless it looks dangerous. If I think there's something I would want to know if I was the manager I think about taking the time to email it. I don't always follow through, though.
  • 0 thru 9

That’s a good strategy. Especially when sending back food might encourage the kitchen staff to add their own... erm... special sauce to the dish, like in the movie Fight Club. :zip:
  • frank
    Yeah. I think I'll eat in tonight.
  • Baden
    Baden told me in another thread that I should have complained about StreetlightS merging threads about Trump into the lounge thread which has lower standards of discussion.frank

No I didn't. I said I don't know what happened with that but in future if something gets folded in you don't agree with you have the right to complain.

And I don't know anything about what's been folded in here. You can take that up with Street. The OP is the OP and we're in the Lounge. That's the context as it stands. If something gets folded in in future that shouldn't be, let us know.Baden
  • 0 thru 9
    :sweat: Wise choice. Nothing like home cooking!
  • frank
    Happen to have mushrooms. Ought to be able to come up with something.
  • frank
    So has anybody else flagged a moderator or complained about a decision? What was your experience with it?
  • Deleteduserrc
    Basically you text your ssn to along with a precis of your complaint and a valid credit card number (just for authentication.) They respond within 3-5 business days, unless you include nudes, in which case youre greenlit for same-day consideration
  • praxis
    I tried it on a different forum once. If moderators on a forum are of a similar mindset they can pretty much do whatever because no one will check them and they can ignore the membership. That’s one reason diversity is good. Unfortunately however, diversity often dies in a slow painful death and groupthink takes its place.

I’ve noticed the mod team here lose some diversity of late, incidentally.
  • frank
    Unfortunately however, diversity often dies in a slow painful death and groupthink takes its place.praxis

Why does that happen?
  • frank
    Did you actually make a gmail account with that name?
  • Deleteduserrc
    how dare you. The only email account I have is
  • frank
    You work for the CIA?
  • frank
    :lol:

I thought there was something james bondish about you.
  • unenlightened
    Could you share the story? Or would you rather not?frank

I'd rather not, and in any case, I used to be the ban-meister-in-chief back on the old site, so it may be that I have a certain elder-statesman status that makes it a bit different for me. But here instead are some words of wisdom, because you are quite right to be concerned about these things.

Firstly, sites like this are tyrannies, not democracies, and the site owner rules absolutely. Secondly, there is no justice system, but an editorial one.

So the final recourse of us peasants is only to find or create somewhere more congenial to cast our pearls, or put up with the foibles of the local executive.

But in the meantime, we assume that our dictator is benevolent and seeks to appoint benevolent servants. I'm pretty confident that such is the case here, and by and large, the regime succeeds in fostering a lively debating community with a minimum of unpleasantness and folly. I think it should be encouraging that a couple of mods have been found unsuitable for the task and reduced to the ranks.

From the pov of the administration, as the site expands, they can no longer be on top of everything, and have to rely more and more on their undercover agents, which you can join by flagging stuff that needs attention. Since, by hypothesis, the administration is benevolent, they are concerned to know from us what we think needs attention. If nobody ever complains, they will think they and the site are perfect.

So flagging, pms, and feedback are important ways to influence them and guide the conduct of the site, as petitions to the tyrant and his minions. At the same time, one should be a little cautious not to get a reputation as a constant moaner and unreliable witness, who will likely be ignored.

In the case of a thread being moved, merged, or some such decision, I would think a reasoned appeal by pm is the best course, though I will just come out and say that I do not believe that there is such a thing as 'the philosophy of Trump'. (I think that is your current concern?) But hopefully, such matters can be discussed and minds can change or not without any acrimony. Its not a personal matter on either side, is it?

So say what you want and don't want, complain about decisions you disagree with, argue politely, and then don't bang on forever about it, but decide to live with it or not.

Here endeth the old fart ramble.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.