• deletedmemberwy
    So, I recently moved to an apartment, got a new job and all that jazz. Found out that it is infested with fleas and likely going to have issues with bed bugs. It's been over two months now dealing with this, and there as so many freaking flea bites on my ankles that I have scars from them. The place has been sprayed three times now for fleas, none for bed bugs yet. I've had it. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in a contract until next January. I have OCD and sensory issues, so I've REALLY HAD IT. Advice on how to get this contract broke and get my deposit back, and how to address this with the property manager? Already contacted one lawyer, and he said there may be a case for a lawsuit.
    Another thing, I know a guy who lives a few hours away from my current place that is a landlord, and also very high up in a factory. I could probably move there and get a much better paying job, but another friend is encouraging me to ditch all this and move to his area, (which is about a 3-day trip), which would be significantly closer to the university I will likely be attending once I am ready for law school. Thanks in advance! (Still don't have internet at home, so may be awhile in replies.)
  • Hanover
    The cause of action you'd sue under is referred to as constructive eviction. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructive_eviction
  • deletedmemberwy
    Thank you. Not sure if I want to sue or just get out. Mostly sick of fleas and other bugs...
  • Fooloso4
    The first thing you should do is send the landlord a certified letter listing the problems, how long it has been going on for, what he has done to try and rectify the situation, and when those actions took place.
    Demand that the problem be addressed immediately by a certified pest control company.

Depending on where you live informing your landlord that you are going to withhold rent and put the money in escrow can be effective leverage. I did this many years ago. Once I did that the repairs were made quickly. I did not even have to go through the process. Informing them that I was going to was sufficient. https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-rent-withholding-works.html

In your case it might be better to get out of the lease, which the landlord might be willing to do rather than deal with the local rent withholding compliance.

Did the landlord use a certified pest control company or just spray? It may take a while to get rid of fleas and if you have animals that must be addressed as well. Bedbugs are much more difficult to eradicate. If you are going to move make sure you do not bring them with you.
  • Sir2u
    Have you talked to the people at the local health or sanitary department, they usually people that inspect places and can order the landlord to either do something or close the places down.
  • deletedmemberwy
    Thank you! He has had his guy spray twice and then he allowed me to get the pest control that I wanted to spray once. It's been two full months of living with fleas and Lord knows what else. Beginning to think they are coming from the neighbor's stupid dog. I don't have any animals here. I seriously don't understand how anyone could have this problem, I grew up with a lot of animals and never once had a flea infestation...
  • deletedmemberwy
    No I haven't yet. They are hard to find, but I have solid evidence that they are there. I have sticky traps set out all over my apartment, and catching a lot of fleas. Plus, the scars on my legs from the suckers...
  • Michael Ossipoff
    I could probably move there and get a much better paying job, but another friend is encouraging me to ditch all this and move to his area, (which is about a 3-day trip), which would be significantly closer to the university I will likely be attending once I am ready for law school.Waya

I'd probably choose whichever of those 2 options is most probable to be successful.

If both options are equally succeedable, then of course the 2nd option sounds better. But, to me, the important thing is that there be a successful solution at all, even if it isn't the best of the 2. So the success-probability would probably decide my choice between those 2 options.

MIchael Ossipoff

11 M
    2048 UTC
  • deletedmemberwy
    Thank you. Yeah, the thing is I'm not sure which would be more successful in 20 years. Short term moving just a few hours away would be more successful. Maybe things will settle down here. I will be getting a raise at my current job, but still sick of bugs. Who knows, but eventually I will be moving near my friend for school.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment