• Furiou5
    I think it's important to ask if "purpose" is a discovery or merely another invention by the human mind? The purpose of survival, which is one of the strongest known to our existence, is a primal instinct that is no longer a necessity in day-to-day life for many. Have we locked ourselves in our ivory towers to ponder something that we've systematically removed from our existence?
  • Possibility
    I think it might be a bit of both, and neither.

We talk about ‘purpose’ as if it’s an all-encompassing motivation that governs every thought, word and action. In that sense, one would likely disagree that ‘survival’ is our main purpose these days, yet it continues to be built into our structures - our survival instinct ‘kicks in’ when required, but we are also motivated sometimes to fight for the ‘survival’ of a culture, an ideology, a way of life, etc - and even to sacrifice our own survival to that ‘purpose’.

I don’t know that we have ‘removed’ survival as a purpose or instinct. Perhaps we have embedded it into the structures that protect us from feeling threatened, that make us believe we are no longer vulnerable? If one threatens those structures, we may be motivated to fight for their survival.

But ‘purpose’ attempts to connect everything that motivates and influences ‘me’, at different levels of awareness, together into a cohesive whole that I can then defer to whenever I’m overwhelmed by options.

Personally, I think it’s a way of making sense of life, of simplifying it.
  • Judaka

Purpose is an interpretation, it is an invention. What shall we do with a useful invention? Throw it away?
  • TheMadFool
    Purpose is about finding out about one's place in The Great Chain of Being(TGCOB). It's the answer to the question ''why am I here?'' It's not enough to be part of it (TGCOB) but we desire to know what exactly our role is.

We humans intend i.e. have objectives and we create/look for means to help us achieve these objectives. Is it this that gives us the concept of purpose? If it is then purpose is pure invention, exclusvie to humans and meaningless outside human culture.

Yet, science, especially biology, is replete with things that have purpose. Eyes for seeing, fangs for killing, tails for balancing, etc. It seems, therefore, that purpose isn't totally an invention. It is out there outside the human mind and so discovered.
  • Amity
    I don’t know that we have ‘removed’ survival as a purpose or instinct. Perhaps we have embedded it into the structures that protect us from feeling threatened, that make us believe we are no longer vulnerable? If one threatens those structures, we may be motivated to fight for their survival.

But ‘purpose’ attempts to connect everything that motivates and influences ‘me’, at different levels of awareness, together into a cohesive whole that I can then defer to whenever I’m overwhelmed by options.

Personally, I think it’s a way of making sense of life, of simplifying it.
    Possibility

Everything you write here makes sense to me. The overall sense of purpose at different levels of awareness of one's self acting within a community.

I never thought of it in terms of deferment in times of trouble. However, when you think about it, if there is no higher power to which you can pray for assistance, or some other Oracle, then all you got is yourself, your critical faculties and your values.

To reach that point of discernment - to make sense of life and to simplify it - how many paths are travelled, with or without clear purpose ?
    How many teachers do you follow, have you followed...to get where you are ?

What if you don't know where to start... or end ?
  • Amity
    I think it's important to ask if "purpose" is a discovery or merely another invention by the human mind?Furiou5

'Purpose' as a word or concept is a made-up human word.
    Created by the mind for what purpose ? Purpose here meaning function.
    To communicate.

Purpose in our lives. We can think about at different levels. Why is it important for you to ask the question, and in the way that you did. Your purpose: intention, motivation...

And what do you think of the responses so far?
    Welcome, by the way :smile:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.