• czahar
    First off, I'm new here, so apologies in advance if this subject has already been discussed and I carelessly missed it.

With that said, let's start out with a definition. By "purpose" I mean some type of goal that we are either destined or feel compelled to fulfill. This purpose could be some externally-given order --- e.g., God gave me the purpose of spreading His word to heathens --- or it could be some internal drive to accomplish something with one's life --- e.g., I am driven to be the next great artist.

When I talk about having a purpose in life, I am not simply talking about a goal. Rather, I am talking the goal one is meant to fulfill. The main goal, so to speak.

We typically look at having no purpose in life as a bad thing. Indeed, if someone went up to you and said, "I don't feel like I have any purpose in this world," you would probably try to convince her that she did or that she would find it, rather than respond with something along the lines of, "Good for you!"

What I will argue is that there is no reason to be disappointed with having no purpose in life. I believe this to be true for the following reasons:

1. Freedom. When we talk about purpose, we're making a normative as well as a descriptive claim. In other words, we're not simply saying "this is your purpose" but also "you should fulfill this purpose." This may not always be a God-given command, but there is always some pressure (either internal or external) on us to fulfill a purpose if, indeed, it is our purpose. There is always a "should" involved with purpose.

But without a purpose we have no pressure on us to fulfill any goal. If we want to be a painter, we can be a painter, then quit painting completely and become an accountant without abandoning or feeling we have abandoned any goal that we feel either internally or externally pressured to fulfill.

2. Your purpose may not be a good one. We tend to glamorize purposes as being grand. We figure it will be finding a cure for cancer or becoming a larger than life rock star, for instance. Perhaps we will write the next great novel.

But what if your purpose isn't so grand? What if your sole purpose in life is to be white trash, spending your entire day watching soap operas and smoking generic cigarettes? If we're going to have gods in the world, we need clods, right?

Or, what if your purpose is to be something evil? The next Hitler or the world's most notorious child molester, for instance? There's no reason to believe having a purpose in life would be a good thing.

I feel as if I have no purpose in life. If there is one out there in the world for me, I have not found it; if there is one in me, I am not aware of it.

I used to be disappointed by this. Why couldn't I find something that I could call my life's goal?

Now, I've become oddly content with the fact that I have no main goal in life. In fact, I feel a greater sense of freedom because of it.

What do you think? Is living a life without purpose a bad thing?
  • Rich
    Life without purpose is not a bad thing, but we all seem to be sharing the same purpose, to create.
  • Wayfarer
    What if your sole purpose in life is to be white trash, spending your entire day watching soap operas and smoking generic cigarettes?czahar

Sorry, but that's just defeatist bullshit. You might not have a grand purpose - you might not be designing a space probe or curing cancer. But even ordinary purposes are worthwhile. I think you're just looking for excuses.
  • Cuthbert
    I think your purpose is to be an existentialist. It's the freedom, potential and coming-to-be that count. Actually being makes an object of you and pins you down. Essence is an illusion. https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/existentialism/
  • schopenhauer1

You do have an underlying goal- seek survival, seek optimal comfort levels, seek optimal entertainment, repeat. This I call instrumentality. It is the constant Will at the bottom of our egos driving us forward for no purpose. Our personalities via enculturation then create preferences for where to direct certain socially derived survival, comfort, and entertainment activities. You can say as a society, the goal is perpetuate social institutions by using individuals as inadvertent vehicles in which to enact another life of socially derived survival, comfort-seeking, and entertainment-seeking activities. So purpose is baked into our socially constructed lives. Of course, I advocate preventing the continuation of instrumentality (structural suffering) as well as contingent suffering for new individuals who do not need to be alive to experience socially derived survival, comfort, and entertainment seeking activities.
  • ConfusedFox
    Some interesting points for sure, I like the idea of being free when you don't have a clear purpose in life.

I've defined my purpose in life to be the best man I can be, in every aspect of it. This allows me a certain freedom to work on all areas of my life equally rather than saying, "I am going to be a fireman" or "I am going to be musician".

I do however feel that having a goal such as the above mentioned can provide great level of happiness. Many 'successful' people dedicate their whole lives to a certain career, they go through tragic times with no money, no hope and then build their way up to the top through pure perseverance and commitment. I would predict that this could lead to other aspects of their lives such as relationships, spiritual development and real core contentment can get left behind.

I don't buy into the rubbish of "I was put on this earth to do this certain thing", you either fall into a career path and go with it or you make a conscience decision to start something and stick with it till it work and it feels like you're doing the right thing so you believe you were born to do it.

Perhaps that's me justifying the fact that I am not at the top of any profession and don't have a clear idea of who I am in a working sense, who knows...
  • charleton
    Life without purpose is not a bad thing, but we all seem to be sharing the same purpose, to create.Rich

There are plenty of people who would disagree, and there are many examples where this is so obviously not the case.
    It depends on so much; what counts as worth creating, and destroying?
  • krishnamurti

Are you saying that people should stop bringing new life into this world?
  • Joshs
    You left out something about life goals. If you examine the .lives of those who have achieved the kind of goal that many long for(wealth, fame,etc) , you find that it invariably does not bring more than temporary satisfaction. That is to say, if the goal is superficially conceived as attainment of a single milestone,then once it has been accomplished one is back to square one, because it is now in the past and one has then to formulate a new goal. Waking up in the morning hugging one's Nobel prize, Oscar statuette or financial balance wont substitute for figuring out what in the world one wants to do today to provide meaning. That's why some of the most unhappy people in the world are those have just achieved their life goal.
    I think the most genuinely satisfied individuals on the planet are those who too busy being immersed right now in the process of opening up new avenues of experience and meaning to worry about single, final, lifetime goals. I would even say that such an ambition is antithetical to what produces deep happiness, unless such purposes can be translated into a lifestyle that provides us with a way of slipping into a flow of creative unfolding on a daily basis. But in that case, one would likely discover the very basis and sense of what one is striving for constantly shifting and redefining itself.
    Striving for that ultimate achievement is a young person's dream. As I age and find my sense of what is important changing, and as people I admire or whose approval I seeks begin one by one to pass away, it eventually begins to dawn that its a colossal waste of time to base one's life on what others think, or on what I thought was important when I was 20.
  • czahar
    Just noticed my rookie grammar mistake: confusing "your" with "you're." Fixed.
  • czahar
    Sorry, but that's just defeatist bullshit. You might not have a grand purpose - you might not be designing a space probe or curing cancer. But even ordinary purposes are worthwhile. I think you're just looking for excuses.Wayfarer

Not quite sure how I am "looking for excuses." Can you elaborate?
  • czahar
    I think your purpose is to be an existentialist. It's the freedom, potential and coming-to-be that count. Actually being makes an object of you and pins you down. Essence is an illusion. https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/existentialism/Cuthbert

Interesting that you mentioned that. I just discovered existentialism recently, and I feel it is the philosophical school (if it can be called a school) that represents my philosophical worldview the best, though not completely. In fact, learning about existentialism was one of those "wow" moments for me, like "Wow! This philosophy expressed everything I have felt but was never able to put into words."
  • charleton
    "Purpose" is an idea a conscious mind. There can be no overarching purpose to life, the world, the universe, unless you posit an over arching consciousness. Even if you believe in a god, it's anyone's guess from the confusion and chaos of the universe what that purpose is supposed to be.
    For smart people, it's enough that purpose is a set of self generated ideas upon which you live your own life.
    Purpose can be the concatenation between the lived existence, the imagination of the future and the natural urges and passions. For each is to take the lived experience and bring these things together to live an authentic life; a life unimaginable were you to allow your self the arrogance to think that god has a purpose for you. Inauthenticity is the only route for the theist
  • Rich
    You just created a paragraph of an idea.
  • charleton
    I'll take that as a compliment?
  • Rich
    We are all creating all the time. One only needs to observe it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment