• Terrapin Station
    What do you think of the proposition we can’t dream anything we haven’t already experienced, either directly or indirectly,Mww

I don't know why people say things like that. It always seems agenda-oriented to me, almost in the way that people hold on to religious or political beliefs so that they'll bend over backwards to interpret everything to maintin the belief no matter what.

I think we can clearly dream, and imagine while awake, things we haven't already experienced.

Re dreaming (or imagining) impossible things--I've run into people who've claimed to be able to do that, but I can't make any sense of it, and I don't think I can do it. (Keeping in mind that by impossible, I'd be referring to "strict" logical contradictions.)
  • Mww

I don’t have any problem with the idea I can’t dream except for what resides in consciousness, even understanding the vagary and ambiguity of consciousness itself. But you’re right, insofar as my personal biases in regard to it are concerned.

I don’t think I can dream impossibilities either, under those same conditions.
  • Terrapin Station
    I don’t have any problem with the idea I can’t dream except for what resides in consciousness,Mww

Wait--that's different than whether we can dream things we haven't already experienced. I'd definitely say that dreams are a conscious phenomenon.
  • Mww

Done deal.

Keeping mind it is quite murky down here in the weeds.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet