• S
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a book where the moral of the story is to eat and eat and eat and just keep on eating until you're obese enough to turn into a beautiful butterfly. This sends the wrong message, and has lead to the obesity crisis we now find ourselves in. Instead of lots of beautiful butterflies, we just have lots of ugly fat people.

Because of this, all copies of the book should be burnt, along with all fat people. Then we can start afresh.

What say you? Yay or nay? And no, there will be no poll this time around, because you misbehaved last time, so I'm doing this to teach you a lesson!
  • Nils Loc
    Jesus, S. Are you inflamed this morning.
  • Hanover
    What say you? Yay or nay?S

I vote yay. It's like you opened up my soul and read the very words that described my being. Thank you for that. Thank you.
  • S
    I vote yay. It's like you opened up my soul and read the very words that described my being. Thank you for that. Thank you.Hanover

Any time, sweet cheeks. :kiss:

Now, time to order an extra large pizza. I have to start somewhere, otherwise I'll never be a beautiful butterfly or be burned alive. It's all or nothing with me.
  • Nils Loc
    I don't eat or sleep properly - I haven't eaten all day until just now, for instance - I have terrible memory, and I often act like a sociopath or someone with Asperger's. There are some basic day-to-day stuff that I've just stopped doing, which leads to problems. I'm not communicating with people in my life as I'm expected to. I'm barely coping. All of this is causing big problems for me. I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with me. It's obviously something, even if it doesn't have a name like you get with a mental disorder. Some of this sociopath stuff fits. I got my job through superficial charm, and I use it on customers, but the people I work with have clocked on that I'm a robot, and they expect me to be like them all of the time and not stand there being unsociable, which is difficult and draining. My job requires me to be an actor on different levels almost at all times.

But there's always a bright side, I suppose. This pizza I'm eating right now tastes good.
    — S
  • RegularGuy

I agree. “Sociopath” fits. :P
  • Amity
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a book where the moral of the story is to eat and eat and eat and just keep on eating until you're obese enough to turn into a beautiful butterfly. This sends the wrong message, and has lead to the obesity crisis we now find ourselves in. Instead of lots of beautiful butterflies, we just have lots of ugly fat people.

Because of this, all copies of the book should be burnt, along with all fat people. Then we can start afresh.
    S

:smile:
    I feel deprived and cheated. I never read the Hungry Caterpillar :sad:
    I like what wiki tells me about it:
    " One Sunday morning, a caterpillar hatches from an egg. He is known as the Very Hungry Caterpillar, who loves eating, and so he begins to look for some food. He eats through increasing quantities of fruit on the following 5 days. First it's one apple on Monday, then two pears on Tuesday, three plums on Wednesday, four strawberries on Thursday, and finally, five oranges on Friday. On Saturday, he eats an enormous amount of food. He eats through one piece of chocolate cake, one ice-cream cone, one pickle, one slice of Swiss cheese, one slice of salami, one lollipop, one piece of cherry pie, one sausage, one cupcake, and one slice of watermelon. Then that night, he gets a pain in his stomach from over overeating (from all of those 6 days; Monday through Saturday). But the next morning, it becomes Sunday again. The caterpillar becomes much better after he eats one green leaf. Finally, he's neither hungry nor little. He was a super big fat caterpillar. The caterpillar spins a cocoon around himself. There, inside he sleeps in it for 2 weeks. Later, the caterpillar emerges as a butterfly with large, gorgeous, multi-coloured wings."

I like the idea of sleeping in a cocoon for 2 weeks. Effortless change.
    Yeah, sends the wrong message laziness and overindulging 》 beauty.
    But wait...he became better after eating one green leaf. Ah...on a Sunday too...
    Hmmmm...

The butterfly symbol of resurrection ?
    Or simply change.
    Burn and start again ?
    No. Don't do it. Let it be :sparkle:
  • S
    The butterfly symbol of resurrection?
    Or simply change.
    Burn and start again?
    No. Don't do it. Let it be :sparkle:
    Amity

How about a compromise? Let's meet halfway. We'll do the burning part, but forget about starting afresh.
  • Amity
    We'll do the burning part, but forget about starting afresh.S

Hmmmm. Are we talking about end of life now ? This could get serious. Watch out.
  • S
    Hmmmm. Are we talking about end of life now? This could get serious. Watch out.Amity

It's alright. It's only the lives of people who don't matter. And besides, they brought it on themselves.
  • Amity
    It's only the lives of people who don't matter. And besides, they brought it on themselves.S

Oh no. Don't go there. I wanna keep my smiley face on. I like the Happy Lounge :party:
  • S
    Oh no. Don't go there. I wanna keep my smiley face on. I like the Happy Lounge :party:Amity

This isn't the Happy Lounge. That's next door. This is more like a dungeon for depraved dark humour. You have two options:

Option 1: Play by the rules.

Option 2: Get burnt alive. :fire:

Which is it to be?
  • Amity
    Option 1: Play by the rules.

Option 2: Get burnt alive. :fire:

Which is it to be?
    S

Hah!
    Horns away :naughty:
  • Nils Loc

Others, inversely, believed that it was fundamental to eliminate useless works. They invaded the hexagons (rooms of books), showed credentials that were not always false, leafed through a volume with displeasure and condemned whole shelves: their hygienic, ascetic furor caused the senseless perdition of millions of books. Their name is execrated, but those who deplore the "treasures" destroyed by this frenzy neglect two notable facts. One: the Library is so enormous that any reduction of human origin is infinitesimal. The other: every copy is unique, irreplaceable, but (since the Library is total) there are always several hundred thousand imperfect facsimiles: works which differ only in a letter or comma.
    — J.L. Borges, The Library of Babel

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.