• Shawn
    I wanted to borrow an idea I saw on another phil forum, where people would propose some book to read and discuss any future reading groups.

It's the main part of these reading groups that participation drives it forward. Unfortunately, some of my earlier threads on Schopenhauer's WWAR or the Tractatus died out. I hope, therefore, to propose a reading group thread where we can have an active discussion about what new books to read or talk about.

I have some proposals in mind; but, want to gauge how much interest there would be in a thread like this first.

Any recommendations or input appreciated.

Perhaps some overlap between differing interests might be found and such.
  • Snakes Alive
    I wouldn't mind reading Mackie's Inventing Right and Wrong.
  • Shawn
    I wouldn't mind reading Mackie's Inventing Right and Wrong.Snakes Alive

Interesting nuanced choice. What got you interested in it? I'm reading the Amazon description and it sounds as if one we're to take Moore's naturalistic fallacy to the extreme and claim what is described there. By "inventing" are we just re-hashing the idea that it's only a social construct?

What about the golden rule?

ir7ti80z7pa5slr8.jpg
  • Snakes Alive
    As I understand it, Mackie advocates moral error theory, according to which all moral claims are false. Moral claims are cognitivist – have truth conditions – but since they refer to moral properties that don't exist, any attribution of said moral properties involves a false claim. Therefore nothing is e.g. right or wrong.
  • Amity
    Unfortunately, some of my earlier threads on Schopenhauer's WWAR or the Tractatus died out. I hope, therefore, to propose a reading group thread where we can have an active discussion about what new books to read or talk about.Wallows

I have tried different ways to discuss a book I am currently excited about, as a beginner.
    Basically it was my trip and others could join in as fellow beginners or as guides along the way.
    Another way was to find a free online course based on a lecture series involving book, video, audio and transcript.
    BTW, The resources section in this forum is wonderful. Thanks.

I think the success and failure of online groups depend on many factors. Different abilities, personalities and so on.
    So you could look at why some threads die out, others stumble but move along, following a structure.

I found this suggestion which might be good for beginners.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/askphilosophy/comments/3i9lac/help_on_starting_a_philosophy_club/

'As a slightly casual thing, like a weekly discussion group or something: get a hold of a copy of The Pig that Wants to be Eaten (Amazon link here), read through one entry per week (maybe with Baggini's discussion, maybe without), and have a discussion about it.'

'The book that got me into casual philosophy and generally the embodiment of what I love in philosophy.'
  • Amity
    Following a trail from the Resources section.
    [ Some free ebooks might not be the best translation of a work. However, they can provide a starting point]

http://www.openculture.com/free-philosophy-ebooks
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet