• Benkei
    Yeah, totally irrelevant because Brexit is totally going to empower tenants and the working class because no Brit will ever have to adhere to those pesky EU regulations.
  • Baden
    Let's focus on Boris's attempted erection first. When that's taken care of, we can see how much of a mess there is to clean up.
  • S
    I am in a safe Tory seat unfortunately and will vote for the remain alliance, which ever party represents this.Punshhh

You can't risk basing your decision on the notion of safe seats. What were thought to be safe seats were taken by both of the main parties in the last general election. For example, Labour took Kensington from the Tories with a hair's breadth.
  • Michael
    The first priority is to vote out the Conservatives, so I’ll vote for whoever has the best chance of beating them.
  • S
    And also, that Corbyn is a misguided idealist (at best) whom many reasonable voters would never vote for (as Tony Blair is saying.)Wayfarer

The same Jeremy Corbyn who won a larger share of the vote than Tony Blair in 2005?
  • S
    The first priority is to vote out the Conservatives, so I’ll vote for whoever has the best chance of beating them.Michael

I agree, just don't let my party know about my agreement. I'll be voting for Labour, of course.
  • S
    As has the press coverage in the UK. The reality though is that Corbyn is not remotely radical, and has not proposed a single policy that goes beyond what has already been implemented in the country and then dismantled. Some public housing, a national railway and power system, a national post, a national health service, and some workers' rights. It's all so mainstream that only Americans and propagandists would even call it unusual.unenlightened

Yeah. Also, nationalising the railways, for example, is known through polling to be highly popular with the general public.
  • Amity
    Yeah, totally irrelevant because Brexit is totally going to empower tenants and the working class because no Brit will ever have to adhere to those pesky EU regulations.Benkei

Who benefits from Brexit ?

Someone suggested that I watch Ch4 Dispatches 'The Brexit Millionaires' - those who've got rich from Brexit. First shown Monday 11th March this year.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/

I missed it at the time. Now you need to download the Ch4 app.
    Don't know that I will. I am quite depressed enough, thank you.
    Perhaps some ice cream, chocolate, crisps, caviar and champagne might help.
  • Amity

Oh...wow :smile:
    What now ?
  • Amity
    from the Guardian Politics Live
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/sep/03/commons-showdown-looms-in-battle-over-no-deal-brexit-live

'As Johnson talked Tory MP Philip Lee stood up and walked across the floor of the Commons and sat down with the Lib Dems.'
  • Baden
    :cheer:
  • Punshhh
    Yes, I know, but I'm in south Norfolk, in 2017 the Tory's got approx 35,000 votes, Labour 15,000 and the two other candidates less than 1,000. Most of East Anglia is a Tory stronghold.

I am a poll clerk in a rural area and am used to the elderly farmers banging on about polish immigrants and their Tory credentials.
  • Punshhh
    Great, I watched Johnson's statement, it was pathetic, very Trumpian. He's going down.
  • Amity
    Gove concludes by saying a no-deal Brexit would pose undoubted risks and real challenges for the UK. But he says there would also be opportunities.

Opportunities for...
    The Brexit Billiionaires.
    Ch4 Dispatches 'The Brexit Millionaires' - those who've got rich from Brexit. First shown Monday 11th March this year.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/

Risks as per the Operation Yellowhammer document which Gove had been planning to publish today, but dropped the idea because it was too negative.
    — Guardian Politics Live
  • Maw
    :monkey:
  • sime
    It seems to me that no matter how bad or stupid a politician or idea is, the BBC can be trusted to normalize and promote it in the name of journalistic objectivity.
  • S
    Yes, I know, but I'm in south Norfolk, in 2017 the Tory's got approx 35,000 votes, Labour 15,000 and the two other candidates less than 1,000. Most of East Anglia is a Tory stronghold.

I am a poll clerk in a rural area and am used to the elderly farmers banging on about polish immigrants and their Tory credentials.
    Punshhh

Well, if those numbers suggest that you'll be voting Labour, then you have my support. Where I'm from, we've been stuck with a Tory MP since 2010, and that seems like almost forever to me. I sympathise with the situation you're in.

The targeting of Polish immigrants is really horrible, and makes me sick. An innocent Polish man was brutally beaten to death in an unprovoked attack by a group of young thugs close to where I live around three years ago. It made the national news at the time.
  • Michael
    And now Boris kicks out 21 MPs giving him -43, and that’s only with the 10 DUP MPs.

Also first since the 1700s to lose first vote.

I thought May was the worst PM in living memory...
  • Wayfarer
    Well, he always said 'do or die'....

I reckon the odds favour the latter right now.
  • Punshhh
    It seems to me that no matter how bad or stupid a politician or idea is, the BBC can be trusted to normalize and promote it in the name of journalistic objectivity.

Yes, for example the way they legitimise Farage. If you want to get a deeper insight I would recommend James Obrian on LBC. 10.00 -1.00 weekdays. He's not on today, but tomorrow's show should be a good one.
  • Punshhh
    I agree that the Polish are being unfairly targeted. There is an issue with the numbers of EU citizens who have moved into areas like East Anglia. I have recently visited many of the regional towns in Norfolk and Lincolnshire. While walking around the streets about 90% of the people I pass, or hear are polish, or are speaking polish. As many as half the shops are polish, or aimed primarily at polish customers. I don't have a problem with this, although it does seem a bit strange, when I remember how those streets used to be. But I do sympathise with the indigenous British residents who feel they have been taken over by foreigners and I can understand why such areas voted so strongly to leave the EU.

This situation is purely demographic, however I don't see it as a membership of the EU problem specifically. There are other ways to address the imbalance in such places and leaving the EU may not stop the flow of foreigners. It is fuelled primarily by market forces, which are not going away if we leave the EU.
  • S
    Let's say that there's a problem with immigration. Okay, but what annoys me is that this is given priority over economic prosperity. These people complaining about immigration will end up worse off economically. Is it worth it? No, I don't think so. I'd rather keep the Polish folk around and have more money in my pocket. Also, that's quite a contradiction for Tory's who always cling to the image of being the party you can trust to run the economy.
  • S
    And now Boris kicks out 21 MPs giving him -43, and that’s only with the 10 DUP MPs.

Also first since the 1700s to lose first vote.
    Michael

:gasp:
  • unenlightened
    As many as half the shops are polish, or aimed primarily at polish customers. I don't have a problem with this, although it does seem a bit strange, when I remember how those streets used to bePunshhh

There are always too many servants, except when there are not enough.
  • Punshhh
    Yes, most will suffer economically from leaving the EU, and the influx of immigrants will continue because there is a need for them in the market. The only difference that there may be, is that they might not all come from the EU.

Most of the leavers I meet as a poll clerk can take the hit, they are mostly retired and asset rich.
  • Punshhh
    There are always too many servants, except when there are not enough.

Well said.
  • S
    Most of the leavers I meet as a poll clerk can take the hit, they are mostly retired and asset rich.Punshhh

Bastards.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.