• Nasir Shuja
    So I'm a little bit familiar with everything but I'm finding that every time I try to read something it refers back to other things of which I only have a vague conception of. I studied philosophy in college so I know basic prop logic, Aristotle well, the first 3 chapters of the phenomenology of Spirit, the trends of history, some theological and mythological aspects, the isms, science studies, the general historical points of discussion, a little Wittgenstein, forgot all the Kant husserl and Hume and Berkeley, etc.

This is a really bad explanation of what I'm familiar with but I guess lately I've been wondering about the ontological debate, philosophy of language, more logic and its core important to sound philosophy, mathematics, skepticisms, I like empiricism I think, etc but I really have no idea what to read or think about this (not that I think that's a problem).

Feel free to share how you did it, a general advice for how you think it can or should be done, or what I need. Trust me, I'm open to anything.
  • TWI
    Thinking is a priority over reading IMO, but thinking is difficult, it is a slow process, constantly going back and questioning your ideas. Once you have mastered the art of constructive thinking then you can look for reading matter that will help to expand on your ideas but always ready to change your mind and go back and modify those thoughts. It's a long process which doesn't appeal to some, who prefer the easier task of just reading about someone else's ideas.
  • Wallows
    Read more Wittgenstein.
  • Terrapin Station
    To best understand everything ideally one would read all of the major texts in chronological order, starting with the presocratics. No one is actually going to go through all of that in a disciplined way, though. And it would take a lifetime to do.

At least with the Internet now it's a lot easier to quickly travel down the rabbit hole in a very topic-specific way for background info on anything you're not familiar with.
  • unenlightened
    ...every time I try to read something it refers back to other things of which I only have a vague conception of.Nasir Shuja

Until you know everything, which might be a while, this is always going to be a problem. But rather than give you a reading list of every significant philosopher, I suggest you cheat. What you need is a handy crib-sheet, which is known in the trade as a Dictionary of Philosophy. If you have money, you can buy one, or if you have the internet, you can use an online one such as this: http://www.philosophypages.com/dy/

Whenever your vagueness troubles you, you can look up the name or the term, and get a mercifully brief blurb that you can follow up on if you are still not satisfied.
  • Noah Te Stroete
    I recommend History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell as a good refresher.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.