• Wallows
    I’ve struggled with impulsivity my whole life. I’ve dealt with mental illness my entire adult life.Noah Te Stroete

Has the impulsivity ever resulted in bad decisions? And, what kind of mental illness if you don't mind me asking? I struggle with psychosis (My p-doc tells me it's a psychotic disorder; but, I'm inclined to believe it's some schizotypal traits of paranoia), depression, and anxiety.

Patience is difficult when one is under a lot of stress. I have found that removing the stressors helps a lot, and where that isn’t possible, meditation helps. However, sometimes people are in very high stress situations that they can see no easy way out of. That’s when they need to find the courage to ask for help.Noah Te Stroete

Why do you think it's so hard to reach out for help? Is it denial that one is incapable of taking care of one's self that is the barrier here? On a personal level, I don't like going for therapy. It's just uncomfortable asking for help, as a man. I don't like opening the wounds and going to talk therapy also. It's uncomfortable talking about one's issues.

I find that praying as a form of meditation, asking God (or the universe or your inner self if you prefer) for patience has been helpful to me.Noah Te Stroete

Personally, given my adoration for reason, I take the stance that science may be able one day to address my issues better in the future. So, hope is as much an important factor in preventing suicide as much as being patient is.
  • Wallows
    Isn't self-destruction the very definition of suicide?BrianW

I'm not quite sure. I think that suicide isn't the same as self-destruction. Might need some expanding on my part; but, it doesn't seem like that's the intent of suicide. The intent in most cases is the cessation of suffering or pain. That suicide is an act of ultimate self-destruction is a separate issue.
  • Wallows
    Oh nevermind @Noah Te Stroete, we talked about this in PM. Sorry, my memory is finicky.
  • Noah Te Stroete
    I have schizoaffective disorder with depression according to my doctor. My wife says I get manic at times, too, but my doctor hasn’t observed this. I don’t go to therapy either, but I am medicated.

As a Stoic, you might want to meditate on living in accordance with the Logos if you prefer not to pray.
  • Noah Te Stroete
    Has the impulsivity ever resulted in bad decisions?Wallows

Yes. I’ve overdosed five times.
  • Wallows
    I don’t go to therapy either, but I am medicated.Noah Te Stroete

Coming from someone that doesn't like going to therapy, I am intrigued why so many patients with mental illness find it hard to commit themselves to get better by going to therapy. Do you think it's akin to opening a wound that hurts?

I asked one of my group therapy counsellors if many people don't show up for therapy, and she said that it's true. I think this is restricted to males only given the way society perceives the need for men to look after themselves and such.
  • Wallows
    Yes. I’ve overdosed five times.Noah Te Stroete

Oh, sorry to hear. I've been institutionalized and in hospitals myself quite often.

Do you think half the battle is just coming to terms (as harsh as they are) with one's diagnosis?
  • Noah Te Stroete
    I just don’t find it helpful. I know how I’m supposed to think and behave. I just find it extremely difficult in practice. Plus, I’ve had some very unempathic counselors that have turned me off to therapy.
  • Wallows
    I know how I’m supposed to think and behave. I just find it extremely difficult in practice.Noah Te Stroete

I feel you. It doesn't bother me anymore that I'm different than other people. I guess I've come to terms in my own way with my diagnosis. That entails living with my mother and just sucking the suck factor in life up.
  • BrianW

I'm sure cessation of pain is one of the reasons. But the mode still remains by committing an act of destruction of self. There are many ways to alleviate pain, drug use is one of those ways, I'm just saying reasons don't change anything because the act of suicide is not justifiable unlike killing someone where self-defence is ok.
  • Noah Te Stroete
    I think it is very easy for the non mentally ill to tell you that everyone has problems. The problem with that is they have never been extremely mentally ill, so their problems don’t equate to ours. Our minds or brains work against us as the mentally ill.

I’m not sure what “coming to terms with one’s diagnosis” entails, though.
  • Wallows
    I'm just saying reasons don't change anything because the term suicide is not justifiable unlike killing someone where self-defence is ok.BrianW

Suicide can be justified in some way. But, if you have a family or other people that need you, then no, I don't think suicide is the right choice. There are alternatives to getting better.
  • Wallows
    I’m not sure what “coming to terms with one’s diagnosis” entails, though.Noah Te Stroete

Well, I was institutionalized in the military. It was a bitter pill to swallow for me that I couldn't become a soldier or repair ejection seats for the Air Force. I finally came to terms with my diagnosis sometime after this with the act of going on disability. For a short period of time I fantasized becoming a police officer; but, given my diagnosis, nope that would never happen. Entertaining fantasies I can; but, realize them I cannot.
  • Noah Te Stroete
    I’m sorry for your struggles. I’m in the same boat.
  • BrianW
    Suicide can be justified in some way.Wallows

Yeah, for people whose life conditions no longer allow the extraction of utility from them. For them it's ok because we judge lives by the value they provide. People who are already useless through no fault of their own are entitled to suicide because their value has already been taken from them. So, in a way, it's not really suicide, just an end to their physical structure. This is why I think people who cause damage to their bodies or negate the utility of their lives should be considered suicides regardless of time frame.

Suppose someone dies after years of being in drug induced stupor, a drug problem caused by his own carelessness, even though the final cause of death is unrelated to his drug problem, ultimately, I believe it is still a suicide because he devalued his own life by his own actions. Other than disease (including aging) or acts of infringement upon one's will by another, I think the rest of the causes of death can be considered suicides. Some may be accidental but most, especially the ones with larger time frames are almost always deliberate to some degree.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet