• Shawn
    You can't disprove solipsism. Only affirm or deny it.

If I were to tell you I was a solipsist, what would you tell me to deny it?

My argument would be the following.

Personal pronouns like, "you", "me", "they", "he", "she", "it" indicate that there are other minds in the world. Thus, you either stop using language in this fashion or deny the validity of solipsism altogether because language belies your claim to solipsism.

Thoughts?
  • Shawn
    Oh dear, once again my boat has been sunken by the moderators.

Is this not sufficiently philosophical enough to remain on the front page? Trying to cooperate here.
  • Shawn
    Can I get a reason why this thread was moved to The Lounge area?
  • Baden

You can PM @fdrake who moved it.
  • Shawn

Thanks Baden. If something needs to be edited please let me know @fdrake.
  • Baden
    Is this not sufficiently philosophical enough to remain on the front page? Trying to cooperate here.Posty McPostface

Just to give my own opinion on this: it looks fairly low effort and over ground much travelled. You can do and have done much better in my view.
  • fdrake

Baden took the words from my mouth. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just that there's not much to chew on.
  • Shawn

Ah, I see. Well that's just the nature of the topic I suppose. I can try and fiddle around with adding some content but I don't think I can change anything substantial. If you still think it should remain here then oh well, so be it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.