• frank
    Tea-Bowl2-1024x739.jpg

This is a Japanese thing: fixing broken pottery with gold. Some people would even break their dishes on purpose to have this treatment done so they could bring the beauty of the failed, fractured, but enduring into their homes.

The pure, unbroken cup has it own beauty, but in a human, this appearance of innocence is likely wishful thinking, or a lie. Instead of hiding the breaks behind a facade, this aesthetic says: bring it out into the light and see that your fractures are your uniqueness. You're something that has never been and will never be again once you're gone.
  • Shawn

I can see the relation to your profile avatar. Yet, we are never idealized in terms of being broken goods. Only monsters say that.
  • frank
    Idealized? The cups are in use.

I am a monster, btw.
  • Shawn
    Idealized? The cups are in use.

I am a monster, btw.
    frank

I meant to say that presenting humans as imperfect goods or broken goods is a strange and warped POV. I'm not sure if you're professing that here.

People learn, grow, and change. That we can be broken down and rebuilt is the fantasy of would-be dictators and such folk.
  • unenlightened
    The Judao-Christian tradition...
    ... is a strange and warped POV.Posty McPostface
  • Shawn
    The Judao-Christian tradition...unenlightened

Oh heavens. Not that. We don't need any more martyrdom.
  • praxis
    There’s a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in — Leonard Cohen
  • Hanover
    Some broken things can't be fixed, like Humpty Dumpty.
  • Shawn

And have your whole identity based on a single defect? No thanks,
  • frank
    There’s a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in — Leonard Cohen

:heart:
  • frank
    Some broken things can't be fixed, like Humpty Dumpty.Hanover

They brought in a bunch of horses to fix a broken egg.
  • Hanover
    Well all the king's men tried too.
  • frank
    Most of Humpty was stuck in the horse's hooves at that point.
  • Hanover
    The Humpty Dumpty lyrics don't actually indicate he's an egg. I think the rhyme really refers to a man who took too great a risk and could not recover from his failure dispite assistance from the most powerful.
  • Hanover
    And have your whole identity based on a single defect? No thanks,Posty McPostface

An understandable reply based on my prior callous comments, but here not warranted. Humpty didn't have a single defect. He fell and fucked himself up from here to Sunday, not even his royal highness being able to patch his ass up.
  • Nancy38
    Very nice! I love precious metals. I recently decided to purchase a 10oz silver bar and have thoroughly research the market for expensive metals. I decided to opt for the 10oz silver bar because I think this is a good investment.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.