• Shawn
    A geat deal of philosophy seems to be about professing the correct attitude.

So, what can be said about attitudes? Are they something out of the ordinary in trying to describe them?

Can anything at all be said about attitudes?
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Can anything at all be said about attitudes?Posty McPostface

From the mouth of my favorite cat Mayor of Simplton: Attitudes are like assholes every one has one. :brow:
  • Shawn
    From the mouth of my favorite cat Mayor of Simplton: Attitudes are like assholes every one has one. :brow:ArguingWAristotleTiff

Ahh, dear MOS. How is he?
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Ahh, dear MOS. How is he?Posty McPostface

He is doing awesome! Traveling and keeping busy! Lot's of art and Cats! :hearts: :up: :flower:
  • Shamshir
    They're angles. Latitude and longitude.

That in tow, propositions in regard to certain attitudes aren't about the correct attitude but a working method; matching angles to compose a flat and/or straight path.

How's the method of wallowing working for you?
  • deletedusercb
    A geat deal of philosophy seems to be about professing the correct attitude.Wallows
    How does it seem to be about this`? I'm not skeptical, I just have no idea what this means.
  • Shawn
    How's the method of wallowing working for you?Shamshir

Wallowing helps in innumerable ways. It is a way of life to wallow. It should become a religion. The Church of Wallows.
  • Shawn
    How does it seem to be about this`? I'm not skeptical, I just have no idea what this means.Coben

Well, here I reveal my distaste for continental philosophy. There's a strange rift that has never been bridged between the continentals and analytics of philosophy. I suppose that's a task for some new philosopher of the ages.
  • deletedusercb
    but what's the attitude?
  • Shawn

Angst, futility, psychological fatalism, absurdism, etc.

Need I say more?
  • deletedusercb
    OK, I think I get you, sort of like being into philsophy is like being a goth or emo. I don't really experience this, though subcultures might have this somewhere. Does this happen around you? ARe you at a unviersity?
  • Shawn

Well, not always. But, for those who do, it's an interesting case study why they would indulge in such dark emotive states of existence (attitudes).
  • Shawn
    ARe you at a unviersity?Coben

Not yet. Thinking about it, kinda.
  • deletedusercb
    I think it feels good. I've been there, not becuase say, I was an existentialist or something like that. So, it came, actually more out of literature: Kafka, Dostoyevsky, certain poets. For me, given what I had gone through and what I saw around me, it was like a real exhale. Yes, there is this underbelly of darkness. Thank you. I noticed this also. I think this can be done well - and I would guess I was a mix - or done rather self-importantly and like a style thing, but I don't think it need be false.
  • Shawn
    I think it feels good.Coben

In what way?
  • deletedusercb
    Let's say on some level you notice some systemic problems around you. Life is hard, there are some seriously horrible things that people do, there is longing, there is a lot of presenting oneself as thinking this is cool or that one is having a good time. We tend not to say we are confused or afraid, even though pretty much every teenager is confused and or scared a good deal of the time. So, you hit philosophers or literature that says this is a part of life. Or films. It's a relief. I am not necessarily weird. There are real problems and dark areas. The platitudes we are told might be, well, platititudes. I think this is really wonderful and supportive, in addition to being sort of depressing. Better than wandering around feeling like you have to pretend those feelings are not there or signs you are pathological.
  • Shawn

Well, it was a phase for me too. We tend to raise children in controlled and positive environments where they will flourish or self actualize. So, I suppose the acquaintance with dark moods is a sort of reality check. But, then one has to move on from such darkness, no?
  • deletedusercb
    Well, it depends. I mean if you are poor and struggling, stuck in a job that has Kafkaesque qualities, or any other really tough things to deal with regularly, having this attitude might be helpful. I do think it is important to allow oneself to feel what one feels. So creating a new habit and thinking it is cool or right or deep to be negative is a problem also. But this will be tricky to judge from the outside or evne the inside sometimes. When you are genuinely expressing your feelings and when you are living up to an ideal.
  • Shawn

But, aren't in contradiction in stating that a person ought to live up to an ideal, yet subterfuge into negative attitudes?
  • deletedusercb
    I think actually it's a problem to try to live up to an ideal in many situations. People can have the ideal that they are a tough guy and don't allow their fear or caution to avoid situations where they are in real danger for no good reason. Ideals can be helpful things to strive for, but when it comes to becoming yourself, allowing your innate talents and responses to be free to express, if the ideal you have is actually based on what others want, or a cultural ideal, you may be damning yourself to failure and missing out on what you actually are good and will feel right doing and expressing. So someone thinking noticing how dark things are is cool, rather that just accepting that those feelings are in fact ones they feel sometimes or more, will now have an internal rule to live up to. They've gone from potentially accepting themselves - by allowing for dark feelings - to wanting to not have other feelings - joy, intimacy, communal belonging, amusement, hope. So the ideal that started by helping someone accept themselves now becomes the new boss.
  • S
    Can anything at all be said about attitudes?Wallows

Yes.
  • Shawn

I suppose I understand what you are saying; but, the illogical aspect of it is our desire to be happy all the time with respect to a world that doesn't accommodate such states of being all the time.
  • Shawn

And what else can be said about them?
  • S
    A whole bunch of things. You could google it or ask specific questions which you can't easily find an answer to through googling.
  • Shawn
    A whole bunch of things.S

Like what? Is it manifest in language or one's POV?
  • deletedusercb
    I think people try to come up with a variety of ways to feel as good as possible. And there is a wide range of ways to 'feel good'. Sometimes it even looks like they are trying to feel bad. But perhaps expecting something good and getting the bad is the worst for them or they think it is. Usually having just one approach, it seems to me, leads to problems. I don't think most people expect to be happy all the time, not that they'd mind.
  • Shawn

Yes, one wonders if @schopenhauer1 is a nice bloke in real life.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.