• Devans99
    I thought it might be interesting to see where we all stand on some of the key metaphysical questions.
    1. Are you a: (15 votes)
        Realist
        47%
        Solipsist
          7%
        Other
        47%
    2. How do you interpret quantum mechanics? (15 votes)
        Copenhagen
        27%
        Many worlds
        13%
        Bohemian
          7%
        Other
        53%
    3. Do you believe in (15 votes)
        Eternalism
        20%
        Presentism
        20%
        Unsure/Other
        60%
    4. Do you believe there was a start of time? (15 votes)
        Yes
        47%
        No
        27%
        Unsure
        27%
    5. Do you think infinity is (15 votes)
        A number
          7%
        A concept only
        33%
        Neither, it does not exits
        20%
        Unsure
        40%
    6. Can you get something from nothing? (15 votes)
        Yes
        40%
        No
        60%
    7. Are you religious? (15 votes)
        Yes
        40%
        Agnostic
        13%
        Atheist
        47%
  • Devans99
    Bump to get more votes (5 votes is not statistically significant).
  • I like sushi
    I cannot answer any of them because I don’t know what they mean. Sorry.

Basically put me down for “other” even for the questions that don’t have that option ;)
  • S
    On perhaps the most important question of all, whether you can get something from nothing, you left out "unsure".

Massive oversight.
  • Devans99
    Sorry. Can't edit it now.
  • Terrapin Station
    My answers:

* Realist (alternatives seem ignorant and often quite childish to me)

* QM interp - other (I basically interpret it instrumentally, from what is very similar to a logical positivist perspective; I'm an antirealist on mathematics in general).

* Presentism (alternatives are incoherent in my view)

* Start of time - unsure (I think both answers are possible, I don't think there's really any way to know the answer)

* Infinity - a concept, and standardly, the concept is not a number (re my "concept" answer remember that I'm an antirealist on mathematics, mathematical objects, abstract objects in general). I do think it's possible that there could be an "actual infinity"--things that are endless, but obviously we can't really intuitively grasp that in the same way that we can grasp something like "1,000 truckloads of x"

* Something from nothing - I think it's possible

* I'm an atheist who thinks that religious beliefs and the idea of god in general are absurd/comically stupid (though I'm fine letting people have beliefs that I think are stupid, as long as they're not trying to control what I can choose to do where that's motivated by the beliefs in question).
  • 180 Proof
    :yum:

• Other - Absurdist. (vide Zapffe, Beckett, et al)

• Many-Worlds Interpretation (MWI > qubits!)

• Eternalism. (Re: MWI of QM à la modal realism(?) ... vide Spinoza.)

• Yes - there is a start of time (i.e. each now). Start, however, does not entail 'unique beginning'.

• I think infinity is (at minimum) a number. (vide Cantor, et al)

• Yes - something can comes from nothing. (After all, something is only a nothing we happen to be interested in at the moment. :joke: Also, 'virtual particles'.)

• Atheist. (Theism is false. :roll: Ontological randomness (i.e. incompleteness) e.g. virtual particles, radioactive decay, ... MWI)
  • Pantagruel
    Kind of a biased selection with a lot of stuff wadded into "Other"....
  • TheMadFool
    A man who knows how to conduct a poll has an agenda. Out with it!

What master do you serve?

• Possibility
    Can’t say that was very effective, with such lmited options. Reminds me of the ‘Dolly’ magazine surveys I used to do when I twelve. I didn’t appreciate the attempts to corral my data then, either.

Don’t fence me in...
  • Eiwar
    What with option that infinity is kind of being, like any others being, or other name for God?
  • Terrapin Station
    What with option that infinity is kind of being, like any others being, or other name for God?Eiwar

I don't think he was wondering about that sense of "infinity." He seemed to be thinking of the mathematical sense.
  • Fine Doubter
    Infinity is several numbers, and several concepts, and a lot of additional things besides - read Kaplan.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment