• Atlas3d
    Are we better off knowing things one step at a time, or could we handle the key to it all?
  • Coeus

Are we better off knowing things one step at a time, or could we handle the key to it all?Atlas3d

If you knew it all, no one would like you, you would be hated and despised, maybe even imprisoned and your knowledge would be extracted by force to be used by those that had the power over you to control others.

Peace
  • Terrapin Station
    What happens? My brain starts smoking

Seriously, though, I can't even listen to two people talking at the same time. That really does make my brain start smoking. I get very annoyed when I'm trying to listen to someone--either in person, or if I'm watching a TV program or movie or something, and someone then starts talking on top of the other person. I can't parse two people talking at the same time, at least not beyond very simple, rudimentary things. So no way I could handle "all knowledge at once."
  • DingoJones

Well, just because you have knowledge doesnt mean you are accessing it all at once. Why would it be different than the limited knowledge you have now? You arent experiencing it all at once are you?
    So if that knowledge increased, which it almost certainly does and will, why would it suddenly be overwhelming (what I take you to mean by causing your brain to smoke)?
    If you possessed all knowledge, why wouldn't it function the same? As you do now, you would access this knowledge as needed or as prompted. For example, you know the numbers 100 to 200, but you aren’t always thinking about them. If you were counting, you would eventually access the knowledge of those numbers when the counting process prompted you to do so. So to with your knowledge of everything.
  • Terrapin Station
    Well, just because you have knowledge doesnt mean you are accessing it all at once.DingoJones

I thought that was the distinction the TC was making, because he contrasted it with "knowing things one step at a time."
  • DingoJones

Ah I see. I took him to mean staggered knowledge as the contrast, like learning to count to 10, then later learning to count to 100 and so on.
    What makes that interesting to me is what life would be like with nothing left to learn. It seems like something important to human experience, the learning.
  • RosettaStoned
    I feel like this is like what it would be like if we had wings. It would be a natural feeling. It would kind of just... be there.

If you knew it all, no one would like you, you would be hated and despised, maybe even imprisoned and your knowledge would be extracted by force to be used by those that had the power over you to control others.Coeus
    Also this.
  • Kippo
    Only sudden realisations seem powerful - often overwhelming.

Gradual build up is for pussies.

Miaow!
  • deletedmemberwy
    It's not humanly possible to know all things all at once, merely bits and pieces that we manage to learn. Our minds are limited and finite.
  • Josh Alfred
    Positive correspondence takes place. AHA!
  • Kippo

It is possible to feel that one know all things at once though.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.