• ChatteringMonkey
    If there is one thing most governments in the world agree on, it's that more economic growth is better. Even if they have their doubts about it in principle, they believe it is the way to go in practice, and that's what their policies are aimed at.

Today a group European scientists published an open letter in a numbers of European newspapers that economic growth is one of the main causes for a number of the big challenges we are facing in the 21st century, and they are advocating stopping policies geared towards economic growth and developing some kind of post-growth economy in Europe.

Climate change and environmental problems are an obvious example of those big challenges. Economic growth would seem to be contrary to the idea of a sustainable relationship with the earth for a number of reasons. A possible counterargument to this could be that economic growth can be focused on sustainable technologies itself, and so could perhaps also be a part of the solution. Or another possible argument around the sustainable earth problem, is to start using more of the resources in the rest of our solar system.

There are other possible problems, innovation which is financed by the state to achieve economic growth, will possibly have far reaching and negative consequences on human societies. A few of these possible consequences are, the loss of jobs, the widening of the inequality gab, destructive potential of certain technologies, loss of overall control, the failure of social evolutions to keep with the pace etc... The obvious counter to this is that these are only possibilities, and we have no way of knowing for certain this will be the case, or if new technologies will not also find the solutions to the problems it creates.

Another objection to policies that are geared towards maintaining economic growth - this is a more practical one, and may not apply equally to all countries - is that it is more and more difficult to maintain the same growth. New technologies are harder to come by as 'the low hanging fruit' is already gone, and it requires exponentially larger investments in the number of scientist and infrastructure to get the same results. An increase in spending in innovation and the economy, and an overall abolishment of barriers to economic growth, possibly means less money and attention for other problems.

Economic growth has certainly served us well in a number of areas, but it also created a number of problems. Maybe there comes a point where the problems are starting to outweigh the benefits, if they haven't already...

I see no principle reason on a societal level that economic growth should always be the aim, before the Industrial revolution it wasn't really a thing for the larger part of human history, so presumably we could do without in the future.

But maybe there are fatal practical reasons why we can't stop economic growth, for instance it's hard to see how any one country could stop with it on its own in a world economy, and also hard to see how we could get any kind of agreement between all the counties.

Or maybe it's human nature to want to grow? The countless millennia spend in the savannas before the agricultural revolution would seem to contradict that argument. So then it seems to be more a question of ideology, and our current faith in growth that needs replacement if we would want to stop it?

What do you think?
    1. Should and can we stop economic growth? (15 votes)
        Growth is A ok! Let the markets figure it out and all will be fine.
          7%
        We should not stop it, but policies should try to direct the growth in a more sustainable direction.
        40%
        We cannot stop it, but policies can direct the growth in a more sustainable direction.
        13%
        We cannot stop it, and attempt to steer it will fail. We are marching to our doom, gird your loins!
        13%
        We should and can stop economic growth, and devellep a post-growth economy and society.
        13%
        Another option, please explain.
        13%
  • Wayfarer
    Very good post (allthough you should use spel check). But the whole idea of 'prosperity without growth' is contrary to capitalist economics. Constant growth is supposed to translate to 'more for everyone' but the fatal flaw with that model is that resources are constrained, and we're hitting the limits. So what kind of philosophy ought to be sought in a situation where not everyone is going to have more of everything? Capitalism has made a pretty good go of demolishing religion, which is supposed to encourage the virtues of frugality and contentment with life's simple joys. It's hard to envisage something of that kind sating the voracious appetites of tomorrow's children, stimulated by electronic fantasies, but it is something we better start finding pretty quickly.
  • ChatteringMonkey
    Thanks for the reply, you're right about the spel check, I hope I got most of the errors out now.

Yuval Harari defines a religion according to its societal function, and he argues that it is basically the stories we tell each other and collectively believe, so as to provide a framework that can give legitimicy to a set of norms and values. The current 'religion' he says then is liberalism (which includes capitalist economics and consummerism), which would be one of the reason we can't let go of the idea of economic growth so easily.

I think I basically agree with what you said... that we need to come up with a new story.
  • Wayfarer
    I got Yuval’s first book, but he is a fairly generic sceintific materialist. It was one of those books I read a few chapters from but then regretted having shelled out for. And the problem is, the sole story, the only story, is ‘interstellar’: we’re going to develop hyperdrive and then populate the galaxy. That is what Stephen Hawking was banging the drum about before he died. Problem is it’s not actually do-able - we have our spaceship, suitable for a population of billions, but it’s dangerously over-heating and immediate action is needed. And it requires major attitudinal shifts.
  • BC
    This is a good topic, but how amenable to armchair analysis it will be... don't know. Some questions:

When you say 'stop economic growth' do you mean...
    - no increase in GDP?
    - no new products, or new products only as replacements?
    - a flat rate of change in quality of life (various ways of measuring QoL)?
    - zero population growth (ZPG)?
    - negative population growth?
    - etc.

Even in a non-capitalist economy, I am unsure whether zero-economic-growth (ZEG) is possible. Certainly, maximization of growth doesn't have to be the goal of society. But problems arise...

If ZPG is enforced as part of ZEG, this can have very difficult consequences--a mushroom shaped age distribution: Lots of elderly (the cap), not too many care givers (the stem). Japan is or will have problems from low birth rate. So do, and so will other countries. Of course, eventually the problem dies and goes away (that may take...50 years?)

If ZPG is achieved as part of ZEG, one can achieve a chronic shortage of labor. Yes, mechanization, robotics, and automation can compensate for much of that labor, but many tasks will still be done by hand (like, picking raspberries or strawberries). Will there be enough labor to produce the surplus of food in one area needed for sale or donation elsewhere?

Some surplus of wealth will be needed to pay for legacy costs: retired nuclear plants have to be looked after and eventually deconstructed. Infrastructure can't be abandoned until it really isn't needed. Highways, for instance, have to be drivable (freight, for instance) until freight is moved entirely by rail (over long distances). Refineries have to be maintained until there is no further need for processed hydrocarbons. Toxic waste sites have to be stabilized and cleaned up. Bad policy (burying garbage) will probably be need to be undone (over time). For one thing, there are a lot of material resources in the waste pits. Forests need to be replanted (that means many billions of trees, not millions.

If ZEG is achieved, will it produce enough resources (food, machinery, energy, etc.) to cover the labor of dealing with legacy costs?

Obviously research into certain areas will need to continue: pharmaceuticals; food and fiber production; energy capture from solar and lunar sources (photovoltaic, wind, wave, hydro); technology to reduce resource use (making fabric out of more readily biodegradable fibre; cotton doesn't degrade quickly), etc.

I say go for it, IF we can find a way of implementing a non-capitalist world economy whose people are willing and able to limit population to at first negative growth and then later zero growth, and we can work out a way of producing enough excess wealth to solve legacy problems (like global warming).
  • BC
    @SSU, you seem to have economic expertise. Is zero economic growth possible to achieve without producing a disaster?

@Chattering Monkey, which Harari book are you referencing?
  • BC
    is to start using more of the resources in the rest of our solar system.ChatteringMonkey

Be sure to calculate the cost of fetching useful ore from asteroids before you decide that is a workable solution.
  • BC
    before the Industrial revolution it wasn't really a thing for the larger part of human history, so presumably we could do without in the future.ChatteringMonkey

Continual economic expansion wasn't a thing in the centuries preceding the IR. What made it possible was a somewhat stagnant society that had a low level of technology. (The medieval period wasn't the dark ages it was made out to be, but it was economically fairly tame.

How much stagnant society can we stand?
  • ChatteringMonkey

When you say 'stop economic growth' do you mean...
    - no increase in GDP?
    - no new products, or new products only as replacements?
    - a flat rate of change in quality of life (various ways of measuring QoL)?
    - zero population growth (ZPG)?
    - negative population growth?
    - etc.
    Bitter Crank

I think the general idea is indeed no increase in GDP, or at least a decoupling of policy-targets from GDP in favor of more 'social and green' policy-targets such as social well-being and environment etc... One of the cited problems with coupling policy-targets mainly to GDP, is apparently that a lot of societal and environmental costs of economic growth are not included in GDP. And so since costs are externalized, GDP does not give a real idea of growth.

Even in a non-capitalist economy, I am unsure whether zero-economic-growth (ZEG) is possible. Certainly, maximization of growth doesn't have to be the goal of society. But problems arise...

If ZPG is enforced as part of ZEG, this can have very difficult consequences--a mushroom shaped age distribution: Lots of elderly (the cap), not too many care givers (the stem). Japan is or will have problems from low birth rate. So do, and so will other countries. Of course, eventually the problem dies and goes away (that may take...50 years?)

If ZPG is achieved as part of ZEG, one can achieve a chronic shortage of labor. Yes, mechanization, robotics, and automation can compensate for much of that labor, but many tasks will still be done by hand (like, picking raspberries or strawberries). Will there be enough labor to produce the surplus of food in one area needed for sale or donation elsewhere?
    — Bitter Crank

Yes demographics may be a problem, but I don't think this is as big of a concern in Western countries as in will be in the rest of the world. PG has already declined substantially in Western countries and we already have a lopsided demographic pyramid. This will be an issue we have to deal with no matter the economic growth. I'm less pessimist about a shortage for labor. You're probably right that some job will still need manual labor, but overall I think we will have the opposite problem, that there are simply not enough real jobs left to employ the population.

But I agree that ZEG in the rest of the world would be impossible if you don't achieve ZPG, and achieving ZPG seems to be something that is still far off.

Some surplus of wealth will be needed to pay for legacy costs: retired nuclear plants have to be looked after and eventually deconstructed. Infrastructure can't be abandoned until it really isn't needed. Highways, for instance, have to be drivable (freight, for instance) until freight is moved entirely by rail (over long distances). Refineries have to be maintained until there is no further need for processed hydrocarbons. Toxic waste sites have to be stabilized and cleaned up. Bad policy (burying garbage) will probably be need to be undone (over time). For one thing, there are a lot of material resources in the waste pits. Forests need to be replanted (that means many billions of trees, not millions.

If ZEG is achieved, will it produce enough resources (food, machinery, energy, etc.) to cover the labor of dealing with legacy costs?

Obviously research into certain areas will need to continue: pharmaceuticals; food and fiber production; energy capture from solar and lunar sources (photovoltaic, wind, wave, hydro); technology to reduce resource use (making fabric out of more readily biodegradable fibre; cotton doesn't degrade quickly), etc.
    — Bitter Crank

The idea of post-growth is not necessarily no more innovation across the board, but focusing innovation instead on social, green and sustainable technologies... and not on more, faster and cheaper production per se.

There is also an element of social redistribution in the idea of a post-growth economy. I think the idea is that there already is excess wealth, but that it mainly goes to a few people who get richer. Part of that generated wealth could presumably be used to finance legacy costs?

I'm no economist either so i don't know how feasible this exactly is.
  • ChatteringMonkey

I got Yuval’s first book, but he is a fairly generic sceintific materialist. It was one of those books I read a few chapters from but then regretted having shelled out for. And the problem is, the sole story, the only story, is ‘interstellar’: we’re going to develop hyperdrive and then populate the galaxy. That is what Stephen Hawking was banging the drum about before he died. Problem is it’s not actually do-able - we have our spaceship, suitable for a population of billions, but it’s dangerously over-heating and immediate action is needed. And it requires major attitudinal shifts.Wayfarer

I just bought his first book, I'm a third into it now. You may be right that he's a scientific materialist, but i don't see this necessarily as a problem, as long as he's not of the reductionist kind that wants to reduce everything to physics or matter, or something like that. From what i've read he doesn't seem to be opposed to the idea of myth and religion, in fact he seems to aknowledge that we need it for coörperation on larger scales.

I'm not at the end yet, so I don't know if he thinks the sole story is 'interstellar'... But why do you think it is not do-able, from what i've gathered it would be possible even with current technology. I would agree thought that it's probably not the short-term solution that we need right now.
  • ChatteringMonkey

Chattering Monkey, which Harari book are you referencing?Bitter Crank

I'm reading Sapiens right now, where he talks a lot about the myths and fictions we tell eachother. His definition of religion, the function it plays and his ideas about liberalism, I got from one of his talks at google though. That can be found on YouTube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6BK5Q_Dblo

At about 1h10 he gets into this when he answers a question from the moderator.
  • ChatteringMonkey

Continual economic expansion wasn't a thing in the centuries preceding the IR. What made it possible was a somewhat stagnant society that had a low level of technology. (The medieval period wasn't the dark ages it was made out to be, but it was economically fairly tame.

How much stagnant society can we stand?
    Bitter Crank

That is the question. Though I would argue that growth will have to slow down sometime eventually anyway, if not because of limited resources, then because we have no new technologies left to research practically (and growth is partly dependent on innovation).

Be sure to calculate the cost of fetching useful ore from asteroids before you decide that is a workable solution. — Bitter Crank

I think the idea of futurists is that we will also start to live in space (in big orbital habitats and the like). The biggest cost seems to be getting away and back to the earth because of earth's gravity and atmosphere. If that isn't necessary anymore then that would reduce costs substantially.
  • Pattern-chaser
    But the whole idea of 'prosperity without growth' is contrary to capitalist economics.Wayfarer

Yes, I think this is the problem. Continuous-growth economics cannot work in a system with finite resources. Like our Earth, for example. For years I have been amazed that this is not a phrase on everyone's lips. It is the reason for nearly everything we humans have got wrong in our treatment of our world. IMO, of course. :wink:
  • Wayfarer
    But why do you think it [interstellar travel] is not do-able, from what i've gathered it would be possible even with current technology.ChatteringMonkey

Because the distances involved are staggeringly enormous. Don’t forget that a ‘light year’ is the distance light travels in a year which is roughly nine and a half trillion km. And interstellar travel talks in multiples of that. The amounts of time - millions of years - and energy involved to traverse such distances put it forever out of reach. I think we’ve been deluded by the popular Star Wars images of Star Wars and so on [Lawrence Krauss published a great book years ago called The Physics of Star Trek which discusses what would be physically required to replicate some of those technologies.]

My view is that the earth is the spaceship, the only one we’ve got, the only one we’ll ever have. See Spaceship Earth
  • ChatteringMonkey

Because the distances involved are staggeringly enormous. Don’t forget that a ‘light year’ is the distance light travels in a year which is roughly nine and a half trillion km. And interstellar travel talks in multiples of that. The amounts of time - millions of years - and energy involved to traverse such distances put it forever out of reach. I think we’ve been deluded by the popular Star Wars images of Star Wars and so on [Lawrence Krauss published a great book years ago called The Physics of Star Trek which discusses what would be physically required to replicate some of those technologies.]

My view is that the earth is the spaceship, the only one we’ve got, the only one we’ll ever have. See Spaceship Earth
    Wayfarer

Aaah ok thanks for the clarification.

I don't necessarily believe in interstellar travel either, although given the astronomical timeframes until the end of the universe, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that we could eventually find a way to travel astronomical distances too (if we survive that long). Either way it's not something for the forseeable future, i agree.

I was thinking more along the lines of populating and mining our own solar system. These distances do seem within reach, and it seems do-able in principle with current scientific knowledge. From a resources and space scarcity perspective that could be a solution for a good while given the small percentage of resources and space the earth represents in the totality of the solar system.
  • BC
    I'm reading Sapiens right nowChatteringMonkey

I'm also read Sapiens. I like it, so far.

Interstellar travel is, of course, entirely possible -- provided we can solve all sorts of immensely difficult problems in all sorts of diverse fields. But there may not be much point. We will probably have to go a very long ways, measured in light years of travel, before we find another nice earthy planet to ruin.

I don't find the idea of orbiting cities kind of stupid. It's great for science fiction stories, but it requires magical solutions to difficult problems. "Too much magic" infests futuristic thinking.

Best focus on this one celestial ball.
  • ssu
    Economic growth is the most natural thing when there is population growth. Children grow up, start working, move away from their parents and typically start a family of their own. All this is the most obvious reason for economic growth where both demand and supply increases in the economy. Population growth without economic growth brings trouble to the society.

Technological advances also create economic growth, which ought to be totally OK too. A World without any advances in R&D and innovation is very harmful as our production of energy and use of raw materials is far from being sustainable for the long run, but we are at least now going to the right direction.

A low growth environment is OK in a World where there is no population growth or the population is decreasing. When a society becomes affluent, there isn't the need to have a lot of children. The problems can be contained and we can see from the example of Japan (low economic growth, population decreasing) that it doesn't lead to chaos.

To stop economic growth by a policy decision is in my opinion a disasterous policy especially when the global population is still growing.
  • BrianW

We should not stop economic growth but policies should try to direct the growth in a more sustainable AND OBJECTIVELY HUMAN ORIENTED direction. By sustainable I mean along the path of circular economy. (Check out Dame Ellen MacArthur's Ted Talk presentation or google 'circular economy')

To make it more objectively human oriented, I think, we should first put a limit to the amount of natural resources that an individual can own and use. Because the resources are natural, we should not subject them to personal jurisdiction. Secondly, we should make it taboo (or illegal against the government) for humans to lack basic and societal needs. Basic needs are the obvious food-shelter-clothing, but societal needs are the amenities which allow us to participate effectively in the society. They include proper medical coverage, well revised and updated educational procedures and facilities, communication infrastructure, regular information and appropriately administered feeds about all public resources and activities, increased capacity for awareness and participation in local and national politics, etc.

Economic growth becomes a problem when it is handicapped by imbalance. A 'wholeness' approach to society may go very far to compensate against damages incurred. One of the biggest problems for our economy is our flawed application of concepts like capitalism and socialism. So far, they've been gateways to enhancing economic elitism, which then spills over into the other aspects of our society.
  • ChatteringMonkey

That seems to be the consensus among economists, and I can buy that to a large extent. Governments historically don't exactly have a good trackrecord of interfering in economics, so it's hard to see how trying to stop economic growth could work.

What economist seem to more or less agree on too, is that there is a problem with environmental and also social costs being externalised when the economy is left to its own devices. This is where I would try to find effective ways of regulating it.
  • ChatteringMonkey

Plan A would be trying to keep that celestial bal liveable, but maybe it isn't a bad idea to also have a plan B if at all possible.
  • 0 thru 9

Wayfarer

:up: Definitely. Whenever I hear space travel and colonization (a word which already has its own troublesome baggage) I think of the military and huge expenditures of taxpayers money. There’s a lot of fantasy built up over it, some of it due to Star Wars/Trek as you mentioned. I am glad that space travel is more difficult than flying some super-plane. Humans have done enough damage to the earth. For now the rest of the galaxy is safe from us. Humans are children, and the earth is our enclosed playpen.
  • BC
    plan BChatteringMonkey

FORGET PLAN B. We will either survive under plan A or we will die. Which, by the way, would not stop the world spinning.

Problems to overcome with Plan B (living somewhere else)

1 Energy

Before we can live in cities orbiting the earth, we have to lift a tremendous amount of weight. Whether we do this with rockets or a space elevator (one end anchored to the earth, the other end anchored to a platform orbiting the earth), a great deal of matter and energy is involved. A lot of fuel is required to boost rockets into orbit (even when they are carrying nothing).

The space elevator is not energy free either. Mass still has to be pushed or pulled away from the earth using a very very thick cable. (The cable has to be thick to hold itself together, before it can carry anything). There probably isn't any form of matter that won't end up being quite a lot of weight to manufacture.

2. Radiation

Once in space, animals, plants, and materiel will be bathed in penetrating visible, solar, and cosmic radiation. There are means to block radiation, but again -- cost.

3. Time

No matter how fast we go, (and the fastest we are likely to go is a very small fraction of SoL) it will take us a very long time to get to anywhere that offers a viable environment for humans, animals, and the plants we depend on. (And this assumes we know where that is at the start of the trip.)

So, whatcha gonna do? Hibernate for 50 years; wake up; leap out of the hibernation box, and suddenly go to work? I don't think so. Live inside a large hollowed out asteroid? Travel in a FTL space ship like the Enterprise with inertial dampeners, detachable saucers, dilithium crystals, et al?

It's possible that we could live inside a large hollowed out asteroid for 60 years, but... doubtful. Remember, we will be voyaging in space as the prickly, somewhat unstable, quite often maladaptive, argumentative, emotion driven primates that we are, and that describes the cream of the crop. I can't imagine a cage of 150 humans locked up together for 60 years with NO EXIT and being either bored out of their minds or suffering repeated crises--some external, most internal--ending up ready to found the EARTH II civilization.
  • ssu
    Governments historically don't exactly have a good trackrecord of interfering in economics, so it's hard to see how trying to stop economic growth could work.ChatteringMonkey
    Trust me, I think that they could do that.

There are many ways like starting a civil war or simply adapting the economic policy of Venezuela, just to name a few examples. In Venezuela they have been successfull in getting the economic growth rate to be less than -10%. So it's totally possible. Likely the Syrian government has achieved even a bigger decrease in GDP growth than Venezuela as they have deliberately pushed masses of their own citizens into exile.

What economist seem to more or less agree on too, is that there is a problem with environmental and also social costs being externalised when the economy is left to its own devices. This is where I would try to find effective ways of regulating it.ChatteringMonkey
    Even if I'm a right wing conservative (by European standards I should add), I still view that government definately has a role in all this. Simply left to their devices the market won't take care of things like environmental protection. There simply will be those actors who a) won't care if they don't brake a law and b) won't think it's their job even to care. Besides, the government and the state lay down the grown rules, foundations and institutions that create a functioning market, no matter what an anarcho-capitalist could day dream.

A functioning justice system is a necessity for the free market to work for starters. And through that justice system and it's laws and regulations the will of the people ought to be heard in an democracy. In a functioning democracy there's no problem with that. Only after that comes the active role that the state can have with various policies and activities.

The biggest problem in our time is that the procedure of making regulations, laws and governmental supervision has been basically taken over lobbyists, which push a very narrow agenda of their employers. These employers, mainly big corporations but also other pressure groups, do not think that it's there duty to push anything else than their narrow self-centered agenda. They (the employers of lobbyists) can just assume that the politicians would further the agenda of the voters as they have been elected by the people. But once the system is taken over by lobbyists, it doesn't function so anymore.

I guess it goes so that the more affluent a society is and the more solid institutions it has, the more is the environment and other 'externalities' are taken into account. Assuming the voters do favour saving the environment.
  • Marcus de Brun
    The question of economic growth is posed and answered by Thoreau in Walden Pond. Without an appropriate Philosophy of public and private wealth, the debate on economic policy is an exercise in futility.

The failure of an integration between philosophy and social policy presents us with the dire consequence outlined in the op.

The absentee in western Democratic policy, is Philosophy, this is most typified in the current US presidency.
  • ChatteringMonkey

Trust me, I think that they could do that.

There are many ways like starting a civil war or simply adapting the economic policy of Venezuela, just to name a few examples. In Venezuela they have been successfull in getting the economic growth rate to be less than -10%. So it's totally possible. Likely the Syrian government has achieved even a bigger decrease in GDP growth than Venezuela as they have deliberately pushed masses of their own citizens into exile.
    ssu

Yeah sure, I mean 'could work without killing off parts of the population or without crashing the economy into a massive crisis'.

The biggest problem in our time is that the procedure of making regulations, laws and governmental supervision has been basically taken over lobbyists, which push a very narrow agenda of their employers. These employers, mainly big corporations but also other pressure groups, do not think that it's there duty to push anything else than their narrow self-centered agenda. They (the employers of lobbyists) can just assume that the politicians would further the agenda of the voters as they have been elected by the people. But once the system is taken over by lobbyists, it doesn't function so anymore. — ssu

Lobbyist are in itself not the worst maybe, if they also would represent other groups, like part of the general population. But taken over by lobbyist, here ultimately means taken over by money essentially. I don't know what would be a good solution here. I think with multinationals it's something that needs to be taken on globally, like a lot of issues nowadays.

I guess it goes so that the more affluent a society is and the more solid institutions it has, the more is the environment and other 'externalities' are taken into account. Assuming the voters do favour saving the environment. — ssu

Yes, the problem seems to be getting to that point for countries that are not there yet, without messing up the earth first.

What a lot of this seem to boil down to is the population growth in Africa and parts of Asia.
  • VagabondSpectre
    Higher population numbers have a greater chance of surviving the next catastrophe, so no, we should not arrest economic/technological growth.

Economic growth can lead to the emergence of novel problems, but at the same time it generally solves others. It is conceivable that economic growth could create a problem so large that it exterminates all or most human life, but this is an unlikely risk.

The cost of holding ourselves in economic stasis is that when environmental changes eventually come we will have less wealth and fewer numbers capable of adapting (we will be less capable of change). Nature has caused us to always want more, which motivates us to constantly expand. This is decidedly a better strategy than seeking homeostasis because homeostatic societies are less robust in the long run. The change and adaptation that growth allows and entails (its value to our survival and prosperity) seems to outweigh the risk of creating novel problems (else I reckon greed would not be so ubiquitous of a human imperative).
  • ChatteringMonkey
    Higher population numbers have a greater chance of surviving the next catastrophe, so no, we should not arrest economic/technological growth.

Economic growth can lead to the emergence of novel problems, but at the same time it generally solves others. It is conceivable that economic growth could create a problem so large that it exterminates all or most human life, but this is an unlikely risk.

The cost of holding ourselves in economic stasis is that when environmental changes eventually come we will have less wealth and fewer numbers capable of adapting (we will be less capable of change). Nature has caused us to always want more, which motivates us to constantly expand. This is decidedly a better strategy than seeking homeostasis because homeostatic societies are less robust in the long run. The change and adaptation that growth allows and entails (its value to our survival and prosperity) seems to outweigh the risk of creating novel problems (else I reckon greed would not be so ubiquitous of a human imperative).
    VagabondSpectre

Your arguments seems to be based on utilitarian grounds for the most part, which I don't think I agree with.

For me it's not so much, and certainly not only, about maximalising our prosperity or the chance to survive as a species. It's also about quality of life for individuals.

For instance the agrarian revolution may have been better in terms of prosperity, but consensus among historians seems to be that the agrarian worker was worse off than the hunter gatherer in terms of quality of live.

Likewise it's doubtfull that technological innovations and economic growth will translate into better quality of life for the majority of people. For instance, given the current economical dynamics, chances are that technlogical innovations like AI will make more people obsolete for the economic proces, and will concentrate even more wealth in the hands of the few owners of the means of production.

Also I think one shouldn't overestimate our ability to handle increasingly powerfull technologies. We are still only monkeys with a slightly bigger brain in the end. So either we will make mistakes and bad things will happen, or we delegate more and more to computer algorithms and AI and then we lose control over the whole thing. I don't really like any of these options.

Nature has caused us to always want more, which motivates us to constantly expand.VagabondSpectre

I think this is still up for debate. We have lived for millenia as hunter gatherers not changing a whole lot in our way of live. Maybe something did change in our genome, but we might also still be as good as genetically identical. The latter would indicate that our continual expansion is more a matter of particular circumstances and revolution in ideas.
  • ssu
    Nature has caused us to always want more, which motivates us to constantly expand. This is decidedly a better strategy than seeking homeostasis because homeostatic societies are less robust in the long run. The change and adaptation that growth allows and entails (its value to our survival and prosperity) seems to outweigh the risk of creating novel problems (else I reckon greed would not be so ubiquitous of a human imperative).VagabondSpectre
    You might be on to something.

Let's make a thought experiment: Let's assume that a similar economic boom that has happened in Asia would also happen finally in Africa. This growth would lead to the global eradication of absolute povetry and this would cause the fertility rate drop everywhere to 2 or lower. This would mean that we would be facing quite soon 'Peak population' and then the global population would start decreasing. Some estimates put this happen even in this Century as early as 2055, other estimates put it to happen in the 2100s. The peak is estimated to be from 8+ to 11 billion people. Now, once that happens an homeostasis (or I would call an economic equilibrium) is in itself an objective. We would basically need that growth strategy by other means as the global population is getting older and smaller. It's simple math: just to produce the similar amount of GDP with a decreasing population, the per capita GDP growth has to increase. A problem for our great grandchildren and later generations.
  • VagabondSpectre
    For instance the agrarian revolution may have been better in terms of prosperity, but consensus among historians seems to be that the agrarian worker was worse off than the hunter gatherer in terms of quality of live.ChatteringMonkey

Actually that is not the consensus. The objectively measurable metrics like health and lifespan improved when we made the switch to agrarianism. There was a period of time when we were still figuring agriculture out (we had nutritional deficits before we got it right) but in very short order we have surpassed hunter-gatherers in the above metrics.

"Quality of life" in terms of happiness doesn't favor hunter-gatherers either. It turns out that humans are generally happy whether they're plowing fields or climbing trees for nourishment. The main difference is that the hunter-gatherers die much younger.

Likewise it's doubtfull that technological innovations and economic growth will translate into better quality of life for the majority of people. For instance, given the current economical dynamics, chances are that technlogical innovations like AI will make more people obsolete for the economic proces, and will concentrate even more wealth in the hands of the few owners of the means of production.ChatteringMonkey

Actually, it's entirely possible that automation and AI will create more jobs than they destroy. They will definitely be creating wealth, so regardless of what happens humans might come out wealthier than ever.

Also I think one shouldn't overestimate our ability to handle increasingly powerfull technologies. We are still only monkeys with a slightly bigger brain in the end. So either we will make mistakes and bad things will happen, or we delegate more and more to computer algorithms and AI and then we lose control over the whole thing. I don't really like any of these optionsChatteringMonkey

We've had nukes since the 40's, and we havn't managed to fuck that up yet, so I'm actually pretty confident that we can handle AI...

We're not that stupid you know...

I think this is still up for debate. We have lived for millenia as hunter gatherers not changing a whole lot in our way of live. Maybe something did change in our genome, but we might also still be as good as genetically identical. The latter would indicate that our continual expansion is more a matter of particular circumstances and revolution in ideas.ChatteringMonkey

Actually....

Those millennia spent under the green canopy wern't unchanging. During that time human groups were growing, shrinking, dispersing, congregating, warring, making peace, discovering technology and forgetting it too; human groups were being formed and dying off in an environment of harsh selection. It's not that all human groups lived the same as ancient hunter gatherers, it's that those groups which tended not to behave like typical hunter gatherers (egalitarian nomads), tended to die out. In other words, it's not that we were unchanging, it's that the environment tended to kill off all deviation thanks to our then primitive survival strategies and infrastructure.
  • VagabondSpectre
    You might be on to something.

Let's make a thought experiment: Let's assume that a similar economic boom that has happened in Asia would also happen finally in Africa. This growth would lead to the global eradication of absolute povetry and this would cause the fertility rate drop everywhere to 2 or lower. This would mean that we would be facing quite soon 'Peak population' and then the global population would start decreasing. Some estimates put this happen even in this Century as early as 2055, other estimates put it to happen in the 2100s. The peak is estimated to be from 8+ to 11 billion people. Now, once that happens an homeostasis (or I would call an economic equilibrium) is in itself an objective. We would basically need that growth strategy by other means as the global population is getting older and smaller. It's simple math: just to produce the similar amount of GDP with a decreasing population, the per capita GDP growth has to increase. A problem for our great grandchildren and later generations
    ssu

Quite the irony that...

We need economic growth to sustain our current way of life because our population continues to rise... But if the population begins to shrink we also run into extra expense due to the complexities of modern infrastructure.

This is a problem best solved by AI and automation I think; they can have our jobs so long as basic income is equitable, and if we want to hold a static equilibrium between population numbers and economic productivity I think we will have to look at some form of population control (a three child limit, or something similar that would result in no significant net growth or decline).

But even when we reach such a world, with static population and static wealth, something tells me that people are going to want more anyway. Losing what we have makes us unhappy, but keeping what we do have doesn't tend to make us happy; what really makes us happy is gaining what we don't (and especially can't) have. In other words "gaining more" is built into our psychological reward system as a means to happiness and satisfaction (for evolutionary reasons).

From a long term evolutionary perspective, considering the inexorable change that eventually occurs in any complex system, if you're not growing and evolving, you're either dying or waiting to die.
  • ChatteringMonkey
    Actually that is not the consensus. The objectively measurable metrics like health and lifespan improved when we made the switch to agrarianism. There was a period of time when we were still figuring agriculture out (we had nutritional deficits before we got it right) but in very short order we have surpassed hunter-gatherers in the above metrics.

"Quality of life" in terms of happiness doesn't favor hunter-gatherers either. It turns out that humans are generally happy whether they're plowing fields or climbing trees for nourishment. The main difference is that the hunter-gatherers die much younger.
    VagabondSpectre

Well if it's not the consensus, then I believe the group that believes Agrarian workers were worse of, because their arguments seem better to me. Agrarian workers had to work long days, in ways their body was not really suited for, had a one-sided diet, and the larger groups that resulted from the revolution entailed more hierarchical structures and a ruling class living of the work of others etc...

Objective measures, like lifespan... don't tell a whole lot about quality of life. Quantity is not quality.

Anyway, you can obviously respond to this if you want, but i'm not really interested in going into this right now, because it's only an example to show that more prosperity overall doesn't necessarily entail more quality of life for the majority. If you want to make the case that this allways is necessarily so, then that seems to be a hard argument to make. The answer, it seems to me, is that we can't know for sure.

Those millennia spent under the green canopy wern't unchanging. During that time human groups were growing, shrinking, dispersing, congregating, warring, making peace, discovering technology and forgetting it too; human groups were being formed and dying off in an environment of harsh selection. It's not that all human groups lived the same as ancient hunter gatherers, it's that those groups which tended not to behave like typical hunter gatherers (egalitarian nomads), tended to die out. In other words, it's not that we were unchanging, it's that the environment tended to kill off all deviation thanks to our then primitive survival strategies and infrastructure.VagabondSpectre

Yeah well a lot of different things probably happened all over the planet in all those millenia, no one really knows. What didn't happen was the rapid expansion we saw after the agrarian revolution.

We've had nukes since the 40's, and we havn't managed to fuck that up yet, so I'm actually pretty confident that we can handle AI...

We're not that stupid you know...
    — VagabondSpectre

Really... and the times we came close doesn't give you pauze? All that is needed is things getting out of hand one time.

As for AI, I'm not so much concerned that they will end up 'terminating' us, it's the effects on society that might not be so positive. If large parts of the population become useless for the economy because of automation and AI, that would create problems that needs new kinds of solutions. And I don't have that much faith in the whole economic and political system, if I look at how things are going now.

My point is this really, I'm certainly not against economic growth, innovation and new technology in principle... but I also don't think we should just have blind faith that it will necessarily make things better. And as it stand now, we just seem to be dragged into it without much deliberation, whether we like it or not, and for better or for worse.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.