• Art
    Whilst becoming emerged in a world of art quite like James Turrells light pieces or Yayoi Kusamas dotty worlds is it possible to have a metaphysical experience?

• Lif3rAccepted Answer
    Yes. The debate is to whether or not a metaphysical experience is validated as fact or fiction.
  • praxis

What exactly do you mean by a metaphysical experience?
  • Art
    Very true.
  • Art
    How one exists in the moment and how that environment effects your experience.
  • Art
    Would the term be better if it were an 'Ontological Experience'?
  • Lif3r
    Can the experience be measured using the laws of physics? If so, it is of nature. If not, it is of abstraction.
  • Moliere
    The word you use isn't important. But I don't know quite what you mean by the explanation though --

"How one exists in the moment and how that environment effects your experience"

How do I exist in a moment? Assuming this is a question to be answered it seems to be asking after a sort of phenomenological structure of experience. But then why would a single experience have that character? Wouldn't all experience be structured in accord with the structure of experience? What would make an experience metaphysical then, as opposed to simply an experience?

"How that environment effects your experience" seems to be asking after how the environment I'm presently in effects experience. What makes this question different from the former question?
  • Lif3r
    "What would make an experience metaphysical then, as opposed to simply an experience?"

The laws of physics.
  • praxis

Well, I google searched the term 'metaphysical experience' and people appear to generally use it to refer to spiritual, mystical, or intuitive experiences. Assuming that's how you're using the term, then yes, emersion in an installation piece could certainly induce such an experience. But then pretty much any experience, novel or mundane, has this potential. Being immersed in nature is believed to be conducive to this effect, and I would guess generally more effective than any installation art. Of course it matters what you might consider a mystical experience. We might consider a metaphysical intuition about the nature of reality a mystical experience, or a sense of transcendence or nonduality. Some might consider it merely a sense of awe or a shift in awareness.

The very nature of art is to make us see things a bit differently. That doesn't necessarily extend to the mystic.
  • bloodninja
    I don't know what it means to have a metaphysical experience.
  • Ciceronianus
    How one exists in the moment and how that environment effects your experience.Art
    It would seem, then, that every experience is a metaphysical experience.
  • Marcus de Brun
    The fact that you have begun a metaphysical dialogue in respect of installation art would indicate that one can have a metaphysical experience re same.

According to Bukowski, you can have a metaphysical experience tying your shoelace.

M
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet