• Michael
    What do you call it when someone behaves contrary to what (to serve as an example) the Bible preaches and yet the person acts in the name of religiosity? I don't think hypocrisy nails the issue on the head adequately enough.Posty McPostface

Cognitive dissonance?
  • aporiap

I think that would be impossible, for every proposition, there is some other proposition that contradicts it.
  • Marchesk
    I think that would be impossible, for every proposition, there is some other proposition that contradicts it.aporiap

It is what it isn't.
  • aporiap

It is what it is?
  • Marchesk
    It is what it is?aporiap

Depends on what the definition of it is.
  • gurugeorge
    So, how do you prevent misunderstanding, then?Posty McPostface

I don't think you can prevent misunderstanding by an means "internal" to rational discourse itself, "being on the same page" comes from having shared traditions, reference points and culture, and to some extent genetics (ethnicity, race); and that provides a launching pad for people having some basis for understanding each other.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.