• frank
    It's pretty clear that tossing a javelin is preparation for war. Football is likewise modelled after some sort of primitive military action.

But what is the point of a sport like baseball? It's a lot of standing around watching a conflict between the pitcher and the batter. The pitcher is saying: you will have to dominate my blistering pitch in order to achieve your goal.

I get that it's a distraction, but it seems to be one that leaves nothing behind; no valuable skills, no monument, just memories of a lot of standing around.

What is baseball to you?
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    But what is the point of a sport like baseball?frank

Perhaps, the purpose of the sport of baseball is sport. You know that "sport" is something other than "military action", or preparation for military action, so why not see sport as an end in itself, rather than for the purpose of something else? To me, baseball is a sport.
  • frank
    Why not see sport as an end in itself? Really?

Isn't sport a form of entertainment? And isn't entertainment sought for the sake of being entertained?

Perhaps baseball doesn't entertain you. But we all have different tastes with respect to entertainment.
  • frank
    So you've changed your tune. Baseball is entertainment, not an end in itself.

Is it entertainment (as opposed to work) for the very reason that it's pointless?
  • wellwisher
    Sport is similar to military action, where you compete hard in battle ,but unlike war, you don't lose your head and become an unconscious beast bent on death and destruction. The pitcher and batter have to remain cool under pressure, or else they will not be affective. But they need to compete at their highest level. When the game is done, there is a truce, and they become neighbors again. Sports is a bridge between war and peace that exercises both traditions together.

Baseball was invented in 1839, when the American North and South were starting to take sides, leading to the Civil War. The Civil war pitted brother against brother. In a sense, baseball was a way to compete hard, with a clear head, but not have any long term grudges, after the game was over. The audience loves the competition and specials plays while also the peaceful ending when players return to civilian life and love to compete another day. It is the glory of war and peace without the blood.
    So you've changed your tune. Baseball is entertainment, not an end in itself.frank

An end in itself, is something which is sought for the sake of itself. Doesn't "entertainment" fulfill this description. It is not sought for a further end, entertainment is sought for entertainment sake. And isn't sport a form of entertainment?

Is it entertainment (as opposed to work) for the very reason that it's pointless?frank

I don't understand this question. Are you suggesting that anything which is an end in itself, sought for the sake of itself, is pointless, because it serves no purpose beyond that?
  • Hanover
    It's pretty clear that tossing a javelin is preparation for war. Football is likewise modelled after some sort of primitive military action.frank

What is basketball, curling, bobsledding, tennis, golf, bowling, hopscotch, 4 square, Jinga, Candyland, or the long jump?
  • frank
    It is the glory of war and peace without the blood.wellwisher

I agree. But why substitute this half-measure for the real thing? To boost the population? Or is there some more transcendent reason?
  • frank
    What is basketball, curling, bobsledding, tennis, golf, bowling, hopscotch, 4 square, Jinga, Candyland, or the long jump?Hanover

Like Meta, youre trying to stomp out my question instead of exploring it. WTF?
  • Hanover
    Like Meta, youre trying to stomp out my question instead of exploring it. WTF?frank

The question assumes a false premise, which my comment made clear, which is that sport is a representation of war or that there is some other purpose to baseball than scoring more runs than the other team.

That's wtf.
  • frank
    The question assumes a false premise, which my comment made clear, which is that sport is a representation of war or that there is some other purpose to baseball than scoring more runs than the other team.

That's wtf.
    Hanover

I think sporting in general evolved out of either hunting or military exercises. I say that because of the history of sports.

You're saying that it has now broken from its heritage and become completely pointless beyond its ability to distract.

If that's true, it would be cause for wonderment that we put so much time and money into distracting ourselves. Thoughts?
  • frank
    I think aka stands for 'also known as'.
  • frank
    The guy who started the Ayn Rand thread said he found in Rand strategies for survival, but nothing about why one should survive.

But aren't most of us descended from people who were good at surviving, but who probably wouldn't have been able to articulate any reason why?

In order to enter into the spirit of sports like baseball (or soccer), one has to put on that old demeanor: struggling without any understanding of the reason.

So is baseball an attempt to hide from the question? Or could it be a full embrace of pointlessness? Life comes in raindrop moments. Dont try to experience the ocean: just fully experience this raindrop in all its pointlessness.
  • unenlightened
    I thought it was about impressing the chicks.
  • Relativist
    The purpose of baseball is to get people interested in probability and statistics.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment