• Agent Smith
    HAHAHHAHA. — schopenhauer1

After @schopenhauer1 replied to my post with that , I hadta do some soul-searching!
  • Moliere
    Came across this quote in reviewing what I've read today, and it was germane to the conversations I've been participating in:

Finally, we may turn to a problem of more general concern, not restricted
    therefore to Buber's particular philosophy. It is one which confronts any
    epistemology which bases truth on a non-theoretical activity or on existence.
    And it places in question the existence of epistemology itself for it concerns
    'the truth about the truth' , i.e. , it asks about the nature of the knowledge
    epistemology itself claims to have when it communicates the truth . It is here
    that the theoretical nature of philosophy becomes evident. But perhaps this
    is due only to the practical exigencies of teaching, and merely corresponds
    to the return of the philosopher to the Cave where he is compelled to
    employ the language of enchained slaves? If this is the case, then to
    philosophize is to live in a certain manner and, according to Buber, to
    practice to a greater extent than the others , in one's capacity of artist, friend
    or believer, the dialogue with the real . Is not philosophy then , an attitude
    distinct from all others is not philo sophari essentially different from
    vivere? If this is so, then perhaps theory of knowledge is not based on any
    dialogical step that we need take. The truth is rather obtainable in a wholly
    different kind of dialogue which does not manifest its concern for Relation
    so much as it does a desire to assure to the I its independence, even if this
    independence is only possible in a union ( Verbunden) . Philosophy, then , is
    definable in terms of a rupture of the individual with the whole, and it is for
    this reason that it is abstract or critical in nature and implies a full possession
    of oneself. We need not insist at this point on Buber's indifference to
    the approximations of scientific knowledge which are hastily classified with
    our visual observations of reality, without his offering any explanation for
    the scope of our physico-mathematical knowledge. Although Buber has
    penetratingly described the Relation and the act of distancing, he has not
    taken separation seriously enough. Man is not merely identifiable with the
    category of distance and meeting, he is a being sui generis, and it is impossible
    for him to ignore or forget his avatar of subjectivity. He realizes his own
    separateness in a process of subjectification which is not explicable in terms
    of a recoil from the Thou. Buber does not explain that act, distinct from
    both distancing and relating, in which the I realizes itself without recourse
    to the other.
    — Levinas, From existence to ethics
  • 180 Proof
    Tis the mind that makes the body rich. — William Shakespeare
    ... "Knowledge means questioning," answered Reb Mendel.
    "What will we get out of the questions? What will we get out of all the answers which only lead to more questions, since questions are born of unsatisfactory answers?" asked the second disciple.
    "The promise of a new question," replied Reb Mendel.
    — Edmond Jabès
  • 180 Proof
    It is with sadness that every so often I spend a few hours on the internet, reading or listening to the mountain of stupidities dressed up with the word 'quantum'. Quantum medicine; holistic quantum theories of every kind, mental quantum spiritualism – and so on, and on, in an almost unbelievable parade of quantum nonsense. — Carlo Rovelli
  • 180 Proof
    It really is a nice theory. The only defect I think it has is probably common to all philosophical theories. It's wrong. — Naming and Necessity
    "I wish I could have skipped college."
    ~Saul Kripke 1940-2022
  • Agent Smith
    Two ways to tackle this: 1) a given philosophy is deemed useless, or 2) a given philosophy is deemed bad.Moliere

Superb!

@Moliere
  • Agent Smith
    [...]I only care about what makes sense.[...]Bartricks

Magnifique!

@Bartricks
  • Agent Smith
    I have a position on this. I always treat the dream as real until I wake up.unenlightened

:cool:
  • 180 Proof
    Rouse him to spend on pussy, or rob the son of a bitch! — Al Swearengen
  • 180 Proof
    I remember,” someone said, “how in ancient times one could turn a wolf into a human and then lecture it to one's heart's content.

In their effort to divorce language and experience, deconstructionist critics remind me of middle-class parents who do not allow their children to play in the street.

Poetry is an orphan of silence.

For Emily Dickinson every philosophical idea was a potential lover. Metaphysics is the realm of eternal seduction of the spirit by ideas.

At some point my need for a solution was replaced by the poetry of my continuous failure.

Making art in America is about saving one's soul.

Dear Friedrich, the world's still false, cruel and beautiful...
    — Charles Simic 1938-2023
  • javi2541997
    全く間違っています。。。(mattaku machigatsu te iya masu) = you are wrong!
  • javi2541997
    "I wish I could have skipped college."
    ~Saul Kripke 1940-2022
    180 Proof

Sublime! :100:
  • Agent Smith
    全く間違っています。。。(mattaku machigatsu te iya masu) = you are wrong!javi2541997

:up:

[You're] not even wrong! — Wolfgang Pauli
  • javi2541997
    Dicens, advena fui in terra aliena.
    [Moses] said, I have been a stranger in a strange land.

Exodus 2:22
  • 180 Proof
    The best way to keep a prisoner from escaping is to make sure he never knows he’s in prison. — Fyodor Dostoyevsky

There is always a philosophy for lack of courage. — Albert Camus
  • unenlightened
    ...often reality is more accurate than fiction.L'éléphant

You heard it here first!
  • javi2541997
    I've known supreme happiness, and I'm not greedy enough to want what I have to go on forever. Every dream ends. Wouldn't it be foolish, knowing that nothing lasts forever, to insist that one has a right to do something that does?
    [...]but, if eternity existed, it would be this moment
    - Mishima.
  • 180 Proof

Death is not an event in life: we do not live to experience death. If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration but timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those who live in the present. Our life has no end in the way in which our visual field has no limits. — Ludwig Wittgenstein
  • javi2541997
    :sparkle: :clap: :sparkle:
  • 180 Proof
    Perhaps struggle is all we have because the god of history is an atheist, and nothing about this world is meant to be. So you must wake up every morning knowing that no promise is unbreakable, least of all the promise of waking up at all. This is not despair. These are the preferences of the universe itself: verbs over nouns, actions over states, struggle over hope. — Ta-Nehisi Coates, Between the World and Me
  • javi2541997
    ὑμεῖς οὐχὶ Ῥωμαῖοι, ἀλλὰ Λαγούβαρδοι ἐστέ.
    Vos non Romani, sed Longobardi estis!
    You are not Romans, but Lombards!
    — The Emperor Nicephorus II Phocas to Liutprand of Cremona
  • 180 Proof
    Find a scientific man who proposes to get along without any metaphysics ... and you have found one whose doctrines are thoroughly vitiated by the crude and uncriticized metaphysics with which they are packed. ... Every man of us has a metaphysics, and has to have one; and it will influence his life greatly. Far better, then, that that metaphysics should be criticized and not be allowed to run loose. — Charles Sanders Peirce
  • 180 Proof
    Given that I was born a few months after Auschwitz was liberated, it is hardly surprising that I have a strong sense of the evil that humans – individually and collectively – do. My position is that of cautious and chastened optimism, a belief that, if we are ourselves well-treated by others, we will usually treat others reasonably well. — Raymond Tallis
  • Moliere
    Hrrm!

So if every human has a metaphysic, then should philosophy address itself to every human?

That quote gave me the good feels. :hearts:
  • 180 Proof
    So if every human has a metaphysic [grammar], then should philosophy [theories of the real] address itself to every human?Moliere
    As Freddy Zarathustra subtitles his hymn to the "the meaning of the Earth" (TSZ), philosophy is "for all and for none". Indeed, my friend, some are only born posthumously and die many times while still alive. :fire:

Caveat: "a philosophy" that would "address itself to every human" soon becomes a religion (or political myth). :mask:
  • Moliere
    Heh.

So -- no! :D

Or, at least, only in part -- the part of philosophy I still have no idea what to do with. (the mythic)
  • 180 Proof
    the part of philosophy I still have no idea what to do with. (the mythic)Moliere
    Elaborate.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet