• Patrick McCandless
    Is life not the activity in which we participate everyday? Yet most can't explain it like we would the game of football. *The basics*, the fundamentals, the rules, the main strategies.. It's as if the most important thing to understand on a basic level is the least integrated into society.

So let's break down what a Human Life is into its simplest form. If we can let's keep all statements only coming from what %99 of us would agree is fact(there will always be someone that says nothing is a fact over and over).

Let's try to stay relevant to life, not anything solely pertaining to before or after life.

I will start with a basic statement as a seed of discussion. After a number of people have agreed on the statement, the group that agreed will carry forth building on that agreement. Sort of an "If this is now accepted as true, what can we now say"

My statement:
    A Human Life is a set of experiences from birth to death.
  • rodrigo

a human brain's interpretation of life indeed is the experiences it contains but also the judgments of all those experiences which will give the person a jaded perspective of reality .... I agree with your statement ....

but is that life ?

how about life just is ..... your interpretation of it will not have an impact on its reality ... it will certainly affect your opinions , but reality is unchanged regardless of your viewpoints .... so you then have to be open to the possibility that life perhaps is a concept beyond what the limited mind can grasp .... remember that our brains operate under a set of boundaries .... time and space ..... if we can contemplate for a second that life can exist outside of that time/space construct ... then you have to accept that your limited interpretation of life .... is sort of like looking at a cruise ship passing by and you for one moment as it went by you , all you focused was one window of the cabin passing by .... so in your mind that is the extent of the cruise ship .. a window ...

that is unfortunately the limitations of the mind and our judgments of what we perceive as reality ..... so in my opinion your question is .....

what is phyiscal life ..... well , you already answered it .... rise and fall of form ... that is physical life ..it applies to everything equally ...... but if there is something beyond that physical world how come it cannot be at least contemplated as life itself also .....
  • Patrick McCandless
    it will certainly affect your opinions , but reality is unchanged regardless of your viewpointsrodrigo

I would have to ask you your definition of reality. But if I assume you mean the cosmos and everything in it then yes, I am part of it and if I change a part of it changes.

but if there is something beyond that physical world how come it cannot be at least contemplated as life itself also .....rodrigo

It can be and I do often but that is not the goal of this post. One can learn to ride a bike, and also do other things, I am saying let's learn to ride a bike in this post and you I think are kinda saying.. This could be the matrix why not think about that as well. I'm saying we do not need to do that to learn to ride a bike so let's do that later or start your own matrix bike lesson elsewhere. So Let's formulate the simplest and clearest understanding of simply "A Human Life".
  • Relativist

"A Human Life is a set of experiences from birth to death. "

The shape of a rock is a product of the many factors that formed it, and influenced its current shape. Those factors could be said to be the set of experiences it had. How is human experience different?
  • Patrick McCandless
    @Relativist
    I'm unclear to what your question is.
  • TheMadFool
    It's as if the most important thing to understand on a basic level is the least integrated into society.Patrick McCandless

How true!

Life, what is it? — Patrick McCandless

Something that defies a single answer. To some life is a bed of roses. To others, a field of thorns.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.