• Janus
    Of course that is true, but the differences between individual animals' ways of being are not as great as those between individual humans. It is also true that the variation between some individual humans and others is greater or lesser. And it is also true that the differences between individuals of one kind of animal may be greater than the differences between individuals of another kind of animal.
  • Noble Dust
    They do have to do with the consumerism/ profit-driven rampant development of technology, which is metaphysical-ideology neutral, except for its obvious link to capitalism and neo-liberalism,Janus

I would counter that there's an underlying issue here, which I struggle to adequately define. But to give it a shot I would call it the "poverty of the spirit", as I've done in the past, or just the old fashioned "human condition". It's not a case of "technology is neutral, we just need to be more responsible with it", it's actually "technology is a natural extension of the poverty of the human spirit (and therefore inherently negative, not neutral), the condition of moral entropy"; the natural selfishness of what it means to be human. It all unfolds along perfectly logical lines, given this poverty of the spirit. The idea that we need to just magically be more community minded is, to me, near-sighted and naive. But also practically ubiquitous in the world. We seem to default to that lie either willfully, to avoid reality, or because we're not aware of this reality. I don't have anything to prescribe as an alternative, I'm just trying to call it as I see it. Not the most philosophically precise answer, but just a thought off the top of my head.
  • Janus
    I get what you're saying and I am probably as pessimistic as you are about people becoming community-minded all of a sudden. But people (generally) follow the suggestions and examples of their leaders (mostly directors of the media and celebrities, not necessarily political leaders), so I think part of the right strategy, it there is one, would be to encourage people to become involved more with their fellows and the natural world, in some caring capacities or creative activities, than to tell them to put their faith in the transcendent, join a religion or to spend their time meditating; which I think would just become world denying forms of escape form what is actually happening.

Gotta work now anyway, so back later.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.