• Shawn
    Would Plato have approved of the current US administration?
  • Shawn
    Chapter XVI of the Republic answers this question in case anyone wants a definitive answer in regards to Marriage Regulation and Child Birth.
  • tim wood
    What do you imagine Plato would have approved of?
  • Shawn

Another doctoral dissertation worthy thesis paper question. No idea. But, I believe chapter XVI of The Republic illuminates the question in regards to recent events...
  • mrnormal5150
    Would Plato have approved of the current US administration?
    probably not.
  • BC
    Plato said the U.S. Administration was horribly heterosexual and woefully short--really just tragically short--of attractive young men.

"Here, Donald. This is the kind of meeting to have -- young men sharing couches with wiser older men (Sorry Donald; "wise" kind of leaves you out, doesn't it. Pity.) The Oval Room would be perfect."

WallPaintingTomb_Paestum_Italy_GreekColony_sm.jpg

"And for the Gods' sake, get rid of all these bossy, nosy, uppity women -- they have no place in the halls of power. Have they no wool to spin? Don't their children need to suckle at their pendulous breasts? Disgusting."

"Older men need youth at hand to maintain their vitality, Donald. What's wrong with you is that you don't have enough of this:

Erastes_eromenos_Staatliche_Antikensammlungen_1468.jpg

"The lack of prominent homosexual activity clearly shows that the US is a very sick society!" Plato said, then got back in his time machine and disappeared.
  • Streetlight
    But, I believe chapter XVI of The RepublicPosty McPostface

There are only 10 books (or 'chapters', if you prefer) in The Republic. It doesn't go to 16 in the copies I'm aware of. What are you referring to?

In any case Plato probably wouldn't have minded cause he was a wanker.
  • Greta
    Not sure but I suspect that Machiavelli would have been taking notes, though he'd devote more time to studying Rupert.
  • Shawn

It's from Francis MacDonald Cornford, Oxford University Press, The Republic. Sorry if I don't know which book it's from. It starts with The Abolition of the Family by the Guardians if that helps.
  • Shawn
    I think it's V. 457 B-466 D
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.