• Chrissy
    Hi guys. I have a history assignment which asks the following question, "What would Plato's assessment of Sophocles's Theban Plays be, in light of the position articulated in Plato's Republic?" i.e. The appropriateness of art in Plato's ideal city and the values expressed within the plays.
    The assignment asks me not to parrot his ideas and come up with my own sort of stance or what have you. It seems I did rather poorly on the last assessment because I more or less parroted the ideas in the core texts.
    Basically I was hoping to get some discussion going to help flush out some ideas because I'm rather blank past what I've already read. Thank you for your help in advance.
  • Chrissy
    I think most pertinent to the plays would be Platos' want to ban stories of the gods showing "bad" qualities, stories of lamentation and stories which show the just punished and vice versa. However I am unsure as to how to go beyond simply the notions thereof or state anything original about that.
  • All sight

Art is emotionally manipulative, and within dramas, the author controls causality, so that the outcomes of actions and resolutions of circumstances can be caused by anything they choose. Unless it is controlled for truth, to some degree, to promote pro-social values and virtues, it is extremely dangerous propaganda, of the highest caliber.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.