• _db
    Generally, Western philosophy has assumed that living the good life was possible. Aristotle's virtue ethics, Stoicism's virtuous man, Epicureanism's happy man, Kant's dutiful man, Bentham and Mill's "greatest good for the greatest number", Peirce's "brotherhood of love", the various social contract theories, and in general the overall affirmation of life. To these theories, although life may be filled with hardship, it's nevertheless good because good can be done while alive

But is this the case? Can we actually live a moral life? Is the Good Life even attainable?

One lesser-known contemporary philosopher who thinks this is not the case is the Argentine philosopher Julio Cabrera. Pulling from Heideggerean ontology, as well as the works of Schopenhauer, Nietzsche (very much so the previous two), Levinas, and several others, Cabrera published a book in which he describes what he calls "negative ethics".

If Nietzsche asked what would happen if we abandoned ethics, Cabrera asks what would happen if we fully embraced ethics?

Negative ethics stands in opposition to what he calls "affirmative ethics", of the kind mentioned before. Whereas affirmative ethics asks "how should we live?", negative ethics asks "should we live?". Thus, affirmative ethics are second-order ethics.

Cabrera, as might be expected, thinks that to live is inherently problematic. Although he recognizes and agrees with much of the general pessimism and nihilism of his predecessor inspirations (he spends an entire section praising Schopenhauer), he argues that this is not the sole, not even the primary, reason for adopting the stance that life is problematic.

For Cabrera, there is one overarching concept in ethics, including affirmative ethics, what Cabrera calls the Fundamental Ethical Articulation (FEA): the respect for other's autonomy and the non-manipulation and non-harm of others.

The issue with affirmative ethics, as Cabrera sees it, is that it generally accepts the FEA but nevertheless ignores it by trying to compromise. Affirmative ethics is largely the act of compromise, and Cabrera criticizes it for not considering why it has to compromise in the first place. Why is it that morality has to compromise? Why is it that we have to compromise on when an abortion is acceptable? Why is it that we have to compromise on our policy towards the environment? Why is that we have to compromise by killing each other in war? Why is it that moral agents have to make unsettling moral choices, such as in the theoretical Trolley problem or the real-life scenario of M.A.D?

Affirmative morality must do this because it takes life as a good thing.

But Cabrera argues that this is misguided and quite unethical. The reason we have to make all these compromises and difficult decisions is because life itself is unable to accommodate the ethical. Moral agents are morally disqualified. Every action we do has some impact on other people, either indirectly or directly. The FEA requires us to put others before ourselves, and being creatures who irrationally continue to live, we are unable to fulfill the FEA. Life itself in all its glory, horror, and drama cannot even come close to fulfilling the FEA. It is structurally insufficient.

In this sense, Cabrera is similar to Levinas in that they both feel our ethical obligations are to other people first and foremost. Levinas even goes on to argue that this ethical obligation is a kind of "persecution" - but it's nevertheless an obligation we must fulfill.

From this, it's pretty obvious that Cabrera is against birth. Although taking inspiration from him, Cabrera criticizes Camus for believing that the only important philosophical question was suicide, when in reality it is both suicide and the decision to make another conscious moral agent.

In regards to suicide, Cabrera does not deny it as a valid option, but neither does he usually support it. The only suicide that he supports, in his view (and from my understanding), is one that is made out of an understanding that one's very existence is an overall detriment to other people, similar to the Stoic view on suicide. He argues that Hume was the only real historical philosopher who argued that suicide might be a valid and moral action, and criticizes Christianity, Kant, Schopenhauer, Camus, and others for ignoring this and thinking suicide was either blatantly immoral or irrational.

Cabrera argues that pleasure exists, and pleasure is good. But this goodness necessarily exists within a certain context - a context of pain, tedium, and moral disqualification. Any pleasure either harms other people or is a reaction to our existential state.

Quote:

The negative human being has a greater familiarity with the terminality of being; he neither conceals it nor embellishes it, he thinks about it very frequently or almost always, and has full conscience about what is pre-reflexive for the majority, that is, all we do is terminal and can be destroyed at any moment.

Negative life, in this sense, is melancholic and distanced (but never distracted or relaxed), not much worse than most lives and much better than them in many ways, a life with neither hope nor much intense feelings, neither of deception nor even enthusiasm. And, above all, without the irritating daily pretending that “everything is fine” and that “we are great”, while we sweep our miseries under the carpet. Therefore, it is usually a life without great “crisis” or great “depressions” (by the way, depression is the fatal fate of any affirmative life); negative lives are anguished lives, poetic and anxious, and almost always very active lives.

In the Critique, I have already written that a negative life shall emerge, basically, on four ideas: (a) Full conscience about the structural disvalue of human life, assuming all the consequences of it; (b) Structural refuse to procreation (a negative philosopher with children is even more absurd than an affirmative one without them); (c) Structural refuse to heterocide (not killing anybody in spite of the frequent temptation to violence); (d) Permanent and relaxed disposition for suicide as a possibility.

Being that his work was originally written in Portuguese and/or Spanish, it's sometimes difficult to understand what Cabrera has to say, especially since he takes inspiration largely from the Heideggerean ontology, which is already difficult to understand if one does not know German.

Overall, I think it's a valuable piece of philosophy, one that was long overdue even if it may have its flaws. It's too bad he's not an anglophonic philosopher.

What do you think? Is the Good Life possible? What do you agree/disagree with Cabrera on?

Links to his work can be found here (luckily in English):

Summary: http://documents.mx/documents/summary-of-the-ethical-question-in-julio-cabreras-philosophy.html

Book: http://repositorio.unb.br/bitstream/10482/17430/3/Livro_CritiqueAffirmativeMorality.pdf
  • BC
    Yes, it's possible; a good life is attainable.

A good life begins by affirming the possibility. Having affirmed the possibility, the next step is to guide oneself toward its attainment.

There are no guarantees, though maintaining the position that a good life is not attainable would seem to be the best possible path toward failing to achieve one.
  • mcdoodle
    Cabrera also has his own statement online: http://philosopherjuliocabrera.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/negative-ethics.html

Regularly I am faced with the question: How shall I act? This way, or that way?

Well, I decide. Some of the considerations in my deliberations I label 'ethical', and I debate other people's decisions and label some of them in the same way. It doesn't seem to me that removing the label 'ethical' from such decisions and debates will change the nature of the debate. There is something which we find it useful to call 'ethical'.

Many of these decisions are about acts that relate to other people. I don't personally elevate the interests of other people above my own, so I don't subscribe to Cabrera's supposed fundamental ethical attitude (and nor would, say, an Aristotelian virtue ethicist, for whom self-love is the cornerstone of ethics). I weigh likely outcomes.

It seems to me I shall go on with such weighing, however melancholy I feel about life, and whatever my opinions about murder and procreation. So his negative ethics seem to be, oddly, set as it were to one side of my ethics. I prefer to contribute to the mitigation of suffering, my own and other people's, as long as it doesn't put me out too much. I'm not clear why someone who feels suffering is the human lot would go on to argue that our ethics is not about mitigating suffering. This may not be 'the good life', but what about 'the less unpleasant life'?
  • _db
    I prefer to contribute to the mitigation of suffering, my own and other people's, as long as it doesn't put me out too much.mcdoodle

Why not go all the way? Why is it permissible to not do your very best? Why is not-being-a-moral-saint permissible?
  • mcdoodle
    I don't know where 'permissibility' came from. Not from me. No permits here. I don't always do my very best because that's the way I do things, sometimes I'm lazy or feeling self-indulgent. Laziness and self-indulgence might be part of eudaimonia, the good life. Maybe extremes and ideals don't fit there that well, if I don't share in this notion of a Fundamental Ethical Attitude.
  • Janus

As I see it you seem to fall into the conflation of ethics with morals. Ethics has nothing to do with permission; it consists in the consideration of how to live, morality consists in what we are permitted to do. The idea that the question of whether to live is prior to the consideration of how to live is nonsensical...if we want to live!

For most the desire to live is primary, although of course it can be subverted by certain modes of thinking, mental illness, depression, neural imbalances and so on. Although that said, the idea that neural imbalances as such could lead to suicide seems to be somewhat undermined by the fact that we don't observe animals committing suicide, and there is no obvious reason to suppose that they would not be as prone to neural imbalances as humans are.
  • _db
    Ethics is more general than morality. Morality is dependent upon an ethical structure. So any moral judgement (i.e. that we should live) depends on an ethical judgement (that living is even ethical).
  • Janus

I can agree that morality is dependent on ethics, although I don't think it has anything to do with "structure". All moral rules have their ethical presuppositions about how the individual ought to live.

I don't agree, however, that it could make any sense at all to claim that there could be a coherent question about whether or not it is ethical to live. That would presuppose the possibility of getting outside life to a position from which such a judgement could be made; which is absurd.
  • S
    Most of us can live a good enough life. That's what matters, and matters more than moralism, perfectionism or defeatism.

What do you agree/disagree with Cabrera on?darthbarracuda

I disagree that our ethical obligations are to other people first and foremost, that one's very existence is an overall detriment to other people, that an existence which entails compromise is worse than the alternative of extinction, that life itself is unable to accommodate the ethical, that giving birth is wrong, that believing that life is a good thing is misguided and quite unethical, that pleasure or the goodness of pleasure necessarily exists in a context of pain, tedium, and moral disqualification, that any pleasure either harms other people or is a reaction to our existential state, that moral agents are morally disqualified, and I generally disagree with the gist of his rhetoric.

I agree that life is problematic, but not as problematic as he thinks it is; that respect for the autonomy of others and the non-manipulation and non-harm of others should play an important role in ethics, but not as important a role as he thinks; and that suicide and giving birth are important philosophical issues, but they're not the only important issues in philosophy, so both Cabrera and Camus got that one wrong.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment