• LittleLisa
    Hi everyone.

I am currently a master student of a completely different background and I am evaluating Bentham´s concept of utilitarianism. With this, I wanted to point out some strengths and weaknesses of it, and unfortunately, I came to the conclusion that it is not a good theory to use when thinking morally correct. I would therefore like to discuss a few things I came up with, please do not be too harsh if there are mistakes in it or if I used the concept of Bentham in a wrong way. I did not study ethics and am not that familiar with everything yet, although I am highly interested. Thus, I seek your help and I look forward to hear your opinions!

I pointed out 5 major insights I gained from the moral theory and wanted to discuss with you. I would be super happy if you could read through a few of those insights, you definitely don't have to discuss all of them with me. Anyways, thanks for reading and all the best.

1. Bentham´s concept relies on the consequences of an act. Predicting the consequences relies heavily on experiences and subjective thinking and can only be a guess of how actions are going to turn out. Imagine a plane is captured by terrorists over the ocean and they threaten to fly it into a big city. The government sends out two fighter jets to shoot down the plane before thousands of people are killed when the plane crashes into a crowded area. In this situation, a utilitarian would suggest that it is a morally right act based on the result that only one hundred people in the plane die compared to more than 100 in the city center. However, it could turn out that passengers regain control of the plane or that the terrorists change their mind and land the plane safely on the closest airport.

--> What would you do here? Can you really take these difficult decisions when you are not completely certain of how the events are going to unfold?

2. When we constantly think of taking the best decisions for everyone who is affected by that decision , is that not too much we can be asked for, and is it not also completely subjective in the argumentative chain to say you did the best for the greatest good? Think of the situation when buying a new handbag. The money which is spend could have been donated for a greater good as well, but the buyer can simply justify the decision by pointing out that the people who have built the handbag will be able to earn some money for their families, the company receives money and can further pay its employees and that he or she will be content with the product which was bought.

--> Is it false to expect humans to always act morally right and neglect their own interest in favor of the greater good? I think that Bentham doesn't really think of the nature of human beings as being able to twist things so that they turn out to be the most valuable only for themselves.

3. Maybe the biggest weakness I see for Bentham´s utilitarianistic view is that it does not consider personal affection and emotions. Imagine a mother sits in a car with two other persons, her own 3-year-old child, and a scientist who has found the cure for a disease which will benefit thousands of people all around the world. Suddenly a deer jumps in front of the car and while the mother tries to avoid it, she crashes the car into a lake. As the car is drowning very quickly, the mother is the only one of the three passenger who is still conscious and can leave the car on her own. In the remaining time, she only has the time to save one of the two remaining passengers. If you ask Bentham what would be the morally right act, he would say that it is to save the scientist as his invention will amount in a large amount of pleasure all around the world. Yet, would it be really a morally right decision to let one´s own child drown in favor for a stranger? If argued in favor of it, it would at least be very unrealistic, and especially when thinking of our own nature, the main duty of a mother is to take care of her offspring, so in this moment she would neglect her own self in order to act morally right which is a contradiction.

4. A last aspect will cover the difficulties in measuring pleasures and pains. An individual human being is perceived as the source of values, which makes the concept prone for anomalies, who value happiness different than others do. The quantitative approach cannot work flawlessly, as it is impossible to describe human behavior in numbers and assign basic numbers towards a state of pleasure of pain. Let us say you cut your finger while preparing a dish for your friends and it hurts you a lot. In this moment, you think that it is a very bad pain and you would assign a high mark towards it. In the next week, it happens that you cut off two fingers and the pain is much higher, what number are you going to assign to this pain then? In our world, there is always more and less of something, more pain and more pleasure and luckily, at least when it comes to pains, we will never experience all pains which can somehow occur. By this, human beings are not able to calculate pains and pleasures in an effective and correct way.

5. Most human beings are nowadays only concerned when they are physically affected by something. Consider the example with environment, when we cannot see or feel something we are indifferent towards it. It is proven that climate change will have an enormous effect on the earth and future generations, the pollution of the sea is a major issue and still, people continue to exploit the earth how they want to as it can minimize their own pleasure. Volkswagen recently had the so-called diesel gate, and although the company and those that were involved have got into major trouble, many citizens continue buying the companies cars and call for no regulations on the polluting engines as this could have a negative impact on their life.

--> do you agree with this or is there another, more logical reason why people behave in this way?
  • Michael
    If you ask Bentham what would be the morally right act, he would say that it is to save the scientist as his invention will amount in a large amount of pleasure all around the world. Yet, would it be really a morally right decision to let one´s own child drown in favor for a stranger?LittleLisa

He's right if utilitarianism is correct.

If argued in favor of it, it would at least be very unrealistic, and especially when thinking of our own nature, the main duty of a mother is to take care of her offspring, so in this moment she would neglect her own self in order to act morally right which is a contradiction.LittleLisa

That's not a contradiction.

The rest of your points are more concerned with it being difficult to correctly apply the utilitarian principle; they don't show the utilitarian principle to be wrong.
  • LittleLisa
    Thanks for your answer. I understand that if you apply utilitarianism, those decisions are the right ones. But thinking of it without being a utilitarian, would you still take the same decision or wouldn't you go for the, in the eyes of a utilitarian, wrong moral decision. How would you argue against him?

And I wonder, Bentham says that pleasure and pain are the only two drivers of human nature. However, human nature also involves a mother who has to take care of her children. Isn't it then a contradiction that Bentham stresses the mother to neglect her naturalistic principles in order to maximize the pleasure of society?

And who even says that it would be good if medicine that prevents death is bringing more pleasure. Wouldn't this lead to more and more people exploiting the planet and leading to more hardship to those that are already on the planet?
  • Michael
    But thinking of it without being a utilitarian, would you still take the same decision or wouldn't you go for the, in the eyes of a utilitarian, wrong moral decision.LittleLisa

If you're not a utilitarian but, say, a deontologist, then you will pick the option that is right according to deontology but possibly wrong according to utilitarianism.

So I'm not really sure what you're trying to argue here. People disagree about what is moral.

And I wonder, Bentham says that pleasure and pain are the only two drivers of human nature. However, human nature also involves a mother who has to take care of her children. Isn't it then a contradiction that Bentham stresses the mother to neglect her naturalistic principles in order to maximize the pleasure of society?

Naturalistic principles aren't the measure of right or wrong according to Bentham, so there's no contradiction.

And who even says that it would be good if medicine that prevents death is bringing more pleasure. Wouldn't this lead to more and more people exploiting the planet and leading to more hardship to those that are already on the planet?

Again, this just highlights the fact that it can be difficult to assess whether or not something will lead to the greatest happiness. It doesn't refute the claim that the greatest happiness is the measure of what's right.
  • BC
    "What is the greatest possible good for the largest number of people" is a question much more appropriately considered by 'collective' agents such as governments, planning councils, or public health agencies than individuals.

Individuals are usually not in a position to affect the outcomes for many people through a decision we make. Most of our decisions affect only a few people, at any given time. If you are the pilot of a passenger liner at sea with 3500 people aboard, you as an individual might have to make a decision which will benefit the greatest number of people. The 3500 individuals on board will do well to focus their attention on what they, individually, should do.

Similarly, public health officials are concerned with getting as many people vaccinated as possible to prevent an epidemic: the greatest possible good for the largest number of people. It makes moral sense for you to decide whether you (and your children) should be vaccinated.

Should you buy a handbag or not? You can certainly apply consequentialist ethics here: Handbag A is made out of plastic, handbag B is made out of leather. The plastic in handbag A will be a nuisance for the next billion years. The leather in handbag B can be composted and can be returned to the soil. Or you could decide to keep your old handbag and give the money for the new handbag to the poor, or me, or cancer research, or... whatever.
  • BC
    Bentham says that pleasure and pain are the only two drivers of human nature.LittleLisa

There are "lumpers" and "splitters". Bentham is 'lumping' everything together in two categories: pleasure/pain. Splitters are not going to be happy with that. They will want lists of positive and negative factors to consider.
  • BC
    And who even says that it would be good if medicine that prevents death is bringing more pleasure. Wouldn't this lead to more and more people exploiting the planet and leading to more hardship to those that are already on the planet?LittleLisa

If the doctors are short sighted, they will happily make everybody live longer, even though the earth can't support 7 billion people living 20 years longer.

One of the problems of consequentialist ethics is "which consequences are we going to favor?" This is a big issue, because consequences which favor many in the short run may also doom many more in the long run. You have to test consequences against moral priorities.

In terms of global warming, we should definitely reverse many policies, like building and maintaining roads to make car usage easier. For the sake of the planet's ecosystems, we should stop fixing roads, stop building new ones, build no more cars or car factories, and start recovering the metal and rubber from cars and make people use mass transit.

What are the consequences of this policy? 1, mass unemployment; 2, massive over-crowding of mass transit systems that are not large enough, deterioration of infrastructure which will probably never be rebuilt once it all falls apart.

On the other hand, the consequences of worsening global warming (due to car use, road building, etc.) are dire too. Not only does global warming mean more extinction of species, it means a lot more people dying from heat stroke. Animals and plants too suffer from too much heat.

Who is going to make the necessary long-term consequential decisions about global warming? What way will 'they' decide? I'm in favor of more suffering now by rolling back industrialization and energy use and having a feasible future, over a more vigorous economy now, and billions dying in global warming later. But... I'm not making the big calls on policy.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.