• Persain
    Hi, first of all, sorry for my English writing capabilities: it is not my first language. Anyway, here goes.

Lately this idea boggles my mind and I can not wrap my head around it. It is the idea that I or we are the ones constantly living in the future, this timeline we live in, we are the last ones in human history living in the present, we are the future.

But why me? Why am I the one living now in the present speeding through time to the future and the rest is history? This makes me feel that the 'I' or 'me' feeling has always existed and will exist forever. Sometimes I have the feeling that this timeline is not the only one and that there are more.

It may be difficult to understand what I am trying to say, but I hope that some of you can relate to it.
  • Mongrel
    I don't quite understand what you're saying. In what way do you live in the future?
  • Wosret
    I think that right now in history kicks a lot of ass. We're at the pinnacle of technological evolution, with all of the sweet benefits, and luxuries, just before things start turning shitty again. They were pretty shitty and lame for most of human history, got pretty awesome for like a century, and then will probably go back to shit.

Right now's where it's at.
  • Nils Loc
    Wosret is suffering from time bias.

I wish I could live for the future (investing more for retirement) or in a better future (where I own a self-flying personal transport).

Insofar as I'm only eating meat 2 days out of the week, comprising at most 3 meals, I'm living for a future of diminishing green house gas emissions.

I'm trending toward veganism. If I ever reach such a transcendental state my being well glow with an aura of purity and self-righteous power. All meat eaters will cower in annoyance by my eternal presence as pronouncement: Soylent Red is animals!!! My astral body will be able to project itself into the future and I will be: A Vegan in the Future.

"I'm sure I'll take you with pleasure!" the Queen said. "Two pence a week, and jam every other day."
    Alice couldn't help laughing, as she said, "I don't want you to hire me – and I don't care for jam."
    "It's very good jam," said the Queen.
    "Well, I don't want any to-day, at any rate."
    "You couldn't have it if you did want it," the Queen said. "The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday – but never jam to-day."
    "It must come sometimes to 'jam to-day'," Alice objected.
    "No, it can't," said the Queen. "It's jam every other day: to-day isn't any other day, you know."
    "I don't understand you," said Alice. "It's dreadfully confusing!"
    — Lewis Carroll from Through the Looking Glass

What I meant to say is that I'm a Vegan in some Pasts, Vegan in some Futures but never Vegan Today. If only Today were Tomorrow, the Future would be Now and so... (I'm done).
  • Baden
    Wosret is suffering from time bias.Nils Loc

Or just betting on a Trump presidency.
  • Hanover
    I always wanted to live in the past when things were simpler because I'm told those were the good old days. The future belongs to Mad Max, which is pretty cool in some ways, but no so much in others.

I also once wanted to live a few minutes in the past so that I could stand behind my now self and flip my now self in the ears just to bother me if that makes sense, and I think it doesn't.
  • Sir2u
    We're at the pinnacle of technological evolution, with all of the sweet benefits, and luxuries,Wosret

Didn't they say the same thing back in the 60's and 70's?
  • Wosret

They were right too.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube