• SherlockH
    If you laugh at something it might be you thought it was funny. You can scientifically explain most emotions and the possible reason for them. Fear is to keep you safe, sadness is when something traumatic happened and crying releases hormones, anger is often linked to fight or flight response. Its very easy to explain why we need these things. Happy is when things are going well. So what is"funny". How does one explain in a none emotional way. Is it possible animals beside humans have a humor?
  • Artemis
    I've read that humor evolved as a reward system for finding mistakes in behaviors, patterns, or causal relations.
    For example, laughing at someone falling makes us more aware of how and why someone fell, thus making us less likely to do it.
  • SherlockH
    ShareNKBJ

That is very interesing.
  • Wayfarer
    You could, but it wouldn't be funny. (I would be instantly dismissive of attempts to 'explain' humour as a kind of adaptive trait, in biological terms.)

I seem to recall that one of Arthur Koestler's best-known books, The Act of Creation, was about this subject. (Koestler is not that well-known any more but was a very popular science, philosophy and culture write in the 1960's, some of his books were terrific.)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.