• Andrew4Handel
    I have just found a nice quote from Derrida.

"A decision that did not go through the ordeal of the undecidable would not be a free decision, it would only be the programmable application or unfolding of a calculable process"

So I suppose an excessively deterministic attitude could lead to an impasse.
  • Andrew4Handel
    I hate Trump. You love TrumpBitter Crank

I neither hate nor love Trump. I suppose taking both extreme positions could lead to an impasse.
  • SherlockH
    Firsty some people are unreasonable. Second some people are willing to negotiate but have to take a stance on certian issues. Also some people are selfish and make decisions only reguarding themselves, so a more considerate person would find them annoying.
  • Bitter Crank
    I suppose taking both extreme positions could lead to an impasse.Andrew4Handel

Impasses might happen between two wishy-washy people, but it's more likely to happen between people with very strong beliefs and opinions. In any case, loving or hating Trump was just an example--I intensely dislike the man, but I had no idea what your opinion was (until you said so, above).

Impasses, by definition, occur when there is no practical, politically acceptable, personally acceptable compromise on a polarized issue. The US and the USSR were able to conclude some treaties on nuclear weapons because both sides recognized that their risks were far greater than their benefits. I doubt very much if North Korea will hand over it's nuclear bombs and nuclear bomb-making equipment. We have reached an impasse. Closing down their bomb testing field just means that they have now learned how to make bombs and don't need to test the technology again.

The US and the USSR, now the Russian Federation, have not been able to eliminate their weapons systems because neither country wants to give up the significant leverage derived from possessing a fleet of nuclear arms bearing submarines and missiles. India and Pakistan aren't going to give up their weapons either. Neither will Israel. Having a stock of nuclear weapons is one of the things that keeps Israel in business. Their enemies do not have nuclear weapons, so far.
  • Sapientia
    Firsty some people are unreasonable.SherlockH

Would you like a glass of water?

Second some people are willing to negotiate but have to take a stance on certian issues.SherlockH

I'll get you a glass of water in exchange for a slice of pie, although I must insist that John Lennon was the best Beatle.

Also some people are selfish and make decisions only reguarding themselves, so a more considerate person would find them annoying.SherlockH

On second thought, forget the water, and I'll be taking that pie.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.