• Gord
    I think you have it backwards mate. I see pain and suffering as a result of a lack of self awareness. Looking back on my life during the times that i suffered it was a result of situations that i did not yet wield the power to control or comprehend. For exampe i had a coworker who was a good friend of my and i was pretty close to, to an extent. He took his own life 2 years after i met him and what caused me so much pain was that i foolishly took the blame partly upon myself without really considering him or his circumstances. I think without self awareness and an ability to think about things abstractly with a certain amount of detatchment, humans do this by default. Thinking back to it now i realize i had nothing to do with his choice ultimatly. Yes i probably contributed to his suffering by declining to hang out with him the few times he asked, but ultimatly each choice a human makes is in that humans hands

Regarding knowledge and wisdom. These can ONLY be attained through self awareness. Wisdom comes from experience and i would say knowledge comes from inquiry and experimentation. I do think computers can do this to an extent, but ask yourself this; who created computers?
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.