• Baden
    OK, so there's been an announcement at PF. Here's my summary:

- Porat has declared himself a lover of philosophy through a proxy.
    - All security warnings have been removed.
    - It's been confirmed that the owners will put ads up.
    - Paul has been reinstated as an Admin .
    - Porat has not dealt with the allegations against him (Unsurprising, as he supposedly plead the fifth when investigated by the FBI).

2 possibilities:

1) This is merely a marketing and damage limitation strategy (exactly what they should do at this point).
    2) They are genuine.

So far, I'm going for 1), considering:

A) They made the announcement inexplicably late.
    B) They could have kept Paul on as an admin from the start.
    C) They have removed the password warning despite it being couched in very neutral language.
    D) They have started deleting critical posts and are giving warnings about them.
    E) Marketing 101 says do this.

Thoughts?
  • Jamal
    Pass the popcorn.
  • The outlaw Josey Wales
    Lmao, I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but these guys are dirty, liars, already. They are claiming they don't censor anything "only slander" but anyone reading The dumpster under feedback and plainly see they are censoring anything remotely negative about them or controversial or deleting anything that has a question attached to it they don't wanna answer. And who the fuck calls themselves SUPERADMIN? Sounds like a kid that just got his shot at admin at 12 years old. I agree with your points this buy will give them the opportunity for damage control. I don't know how much of a threat they are. They got caught and seem very noob when it comes to forums, ect. I just think that Mr SuperAdmin is going to get a chub off his new powers to be and will probably be changing the rules to suit his own egotistical need for power and control. I can see it already. But...who knows. Lol. Just my thoughts.
  • Mongrel
    Where money is involved, don't take any action personally and don't expect justice which doesn't involve a lawyer. Business is business.... I learned the truth of that saying through a bunch of stupid shit.

What the new owner of PF has is control over a fairly large amateur philosophy community. This site doesn't have that. Doesn't mean it couldn't develop into that.. but it would take a while.

So.. what do you want? The cool stuff that only comes with that larger community? Then just go back and see what you can do to preserve it. If the owner acts like a fascist.. don't sweat it. That's a waste of energy. Just make whatever he's doing work to your advantage. That's what he's doing in regard to you. And if you take this path.. remember not to be a jerk when Ayn Rand comes up. You're proving that she was right about some things... which she was.

If down the line, you find that Ayn Rand isn't working for you.. you can part ways having lost nothing.

I just want to share, though Baden. To me, you should just be some guy on the internet. But you're actually part of the way I realized that my only connection to Europe is the genetics of some of my ancestors. The truth in my world is all Ayn Rand. That actually hurt my feelings. I didn't want to know that. This last paragraph, which probably represents TMI (too much information) has a philosophical connection to your OP. Sort of.
  • Hanover
    My post "New Owners" was deleted by SuperAdmin for low post quality. Interesting how no other admin felt that way prior to SuperAdmin.

Paul never deleted critical posts. Criticism is sort of what philosophy is all about.

Personally, if someone accused me of being a lying thief, I'd either deny it or own it and then explain my F up, but I wouldn't ignore it.

Anyway, we've moved on. Let's make this thing work.
  • Jamal
    Calm your boner SUPERADMIN — The outlaw Josey Wales

I had to laugh at that one.
  • Baden
    Brilliant. :)
  • Baden
    Anyway, we've moved on. Let's make this thing work.Hanover

I second the motion. This is home now.
  • Hanover
    The Rand analysis is nonsense. An entrepreneur bought a site and alienated some of his core customers. They left and started their own competing business. That's the free market in action. Time will tell who prevails, and it may be both.

Their PR was handled miserably. A timely and transparent transition would have eliminated any problem or a competitor.

The motivation for this site is just too make something better.
  • The outlaw Josey Wales
    I am assuming when Paul saw their offer his eyes popped out like the old Cartoons. He deserves it. It was his baby that was his life's work till now. I am sure it was not easy and emotional but it was time and he was ready. He may have jumped the gun a bit. He may not have done his due diligence but he did what was best for him with what was his and the consequences could have been much worse. I think the new owners are slimy, douche-bags. I don't think things will ever be the same unless someone wins the lottery and buy's the site back. I think change is good and I think for all of us here it was what was supposed to happen because it happened.
  • Hanover
    He didn't make diddly squat for 12 years of work.
  • Mongrel
    The Rand analysis is nonsense.Hanover

Well at least I mentioned a philosopher. That's got to be worth something.
  • Sir2u
    Can anyone still get into the dumpster and see the posts?

I doubt that these new guys love philosophy anywhere near as much as Paul or that they will dedicate to much effort to maintaining its standards. As this Nik said, we are here for the money. It looks to me as though keeping Paul as an administrator is the reaction to all of us signing up on this and the other site.

Maybe they think that he can keep everyone around while they sack the place and and get enough twatter fiends and farcebook fools going there to make money off. Imagine a continuous high turnover of new people that are being directed there from those "social" sites. All of them looking for a place to show off their intellectual capabilities or pick arguments about things they have no knowledge of.

I really don't want to leave PF, it is about the only place I spend any time to myself. But I will not stay there if things do get shitty.
  • Hanover
    We're in a heated battle for most likes, so I played the odds and criticized Rand.
  • Baden
    Can anyone still get into the dumpster and see the posts?Sir2u

I can see them. I don't know of any restrictions about looking in there.
  • Sir2u
    Baden,
    I tried again and can now see the deleted post, maybe a glitch the first time. But just look at the deleted threads, it does make one wonder.
  • The outlaw Josey Wales
    He said he needed to do some work and therefore had to abruptly leave the shoutout box. The work that needed to be done was deleting Sapientia's deleted post in the Dumpster. I am assuming he is done talking but having a good ol' time using his new alter ego as SuperAdmin by using Admin quietly. I am assuming his buddy will have a chat with him and ask he stop digging his own grave and cease fire but like a crack head that got their first taste, I am assuming this will go on for a while.
  • Baden
    A clear case of why it's more advisable to judge people by their actions rather than their words.
  • S
    I'd love to continue to watch - and maybe participate some more in - the unfolding drama, but I need to sleep and work. Good night.
  • aequilibrium
    I believe he is already dropping the ban hammer on those that are being too critical.
  • The outlaw Josey Wales
    I believe that the admins/mods could reflect on this a bit better aeguilibrium. I don't believe you can see who is banned and who is not unless they start posting in the unmod section. Unless, I am mistaken.

Update. That new guy named VM. US i believe has been banned. All this posts are in the Dumpster and SuperAdmin is currently in the Dumpster. Can't click on VM. US name anymore so I am figuring he is gone. I guess, he is starting with the new people that won't be missed but i am assuming if people don't shut up and stand in line there will be regulars gone sooner then later.
  • Wosret
    I thought you quit your job, that's why you were back -- all that hobo free time.
  • Pneumenon
    Reading thesoren's (or should I say, "thesockpuppets") first post kind of made me wonder if he didn't just read some random Wikipedia articles on philosophy and tack them together in a hastily-constructed post.
  • Wosret
    I thought they might be the same person too, just because he came out of left field. Notice that -will- admin too, that hasn't posted anything? Who dat? So confusing. This calls for General Disarray.
  • The outlaw Josey Wales
    I just shouted any idea who _will_ is. He has no posts and is and administrator.

I think click on super admin's name and he is viewing my profile.
  • Moliere
    I'm still open to seeing how things go going forward at PF1. Indicators aren't on the positive side as of right now, but I see some folk haven't made the crossover either -- and that's my primary metric for "waiting it out" or no. At least there's an effort at this point, though I gather the new owner isn't exactly familiar with forum culture. [otherwise that all would have been handled very differently -- forum culture tends to be pretty libertarian in its views on speech, and all this banning and modding whenever the owner feels its convenient to have something not appear is against that norm. Plus the owner would have made an intro much sooner... ah, we'll see what happens]

First impressions aren't everything, after all, and allegations are just that -- allegations. I've been on the receiving end of that enough times to know that, and work with people often enough to know that too.
  • S
    I did, but I was only jobless for about a week. I have a new job. I came back because I'm an addict. :D
  • Thorongil
    Hilarious post, but sadly true probably.
  • Thorongil
    Apparently, Borat didn't know the site was hacked before when I asked him about user info security.
  • discoii
    Who buys a philosophy forum to make money anyways... we are all broke and unemployed! Do the owners not know who Socrates is?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.