• krishnamurti
    For example, when you walk out of your house next morning, you have a clear idea(or goal) of where you want to go next. You don't walk just because(atleast generally). There's always a motive behind it. Something that you want to achieve. Somewhere that you want to reach by walking. A destination.

Similarly when we study in school/college, there's a clear goal of what we want to do with that knowledge (although that's becoming uncommon nowdays). You study medicine to become a doctor. You study law to become a lawyer, etc.

So, should we use the same line of reasoning for our life? Do you have a 'goal' in life? Did you reach your destination? If yes, How did you find it?
  • Artemis
    Yes, I think in the long run having goals is necessary for a fulfilling life.

But I don't think your goals need to be static. My teenager goals are not my young adult goals are not my grown-up goals...

It's important not to let them become your "white whales" that drive you insane.

It's important to have some goals you never reach. I can't find the origin of the quote right now, but a famous pianist once said "If I had another life to live, I might begin to learn something about the piano." I think that's a great sentiment. It sounds a bit sad, the futility of life and striving for greatness and all that. But I take it as inspiration--you're never done learning, there's always more to discover and marvel at, you can never exhaust the wonders of this world, or your own potential.
  • BC
    Well, that was unexpectedly enjoyable and good.
  • BC
    When I started college in 1964 I had a sort of 5 year plan: finish college, get a job. I did that. I did it a couple of times. Many years later, after some good jobs, some bad jobs, good apartments, bad apartments, mostly good people (a couple of alcoholics I could have lived without), lots of boring stuff, lots of interesting stuff, I hung it up and retired early. That or shoot myself.

Life happened, as it will, and after a stretch of sickness and death, I found myself living alone again after 32 years. It took a year or two to get over that. Then I found a plan. I would go back to the beginning of my college years and do the kind of reading now that I wish I had done back then. And so I have been beefing up the content of my bachelor degree.

It's a worthwhile goal at this stage in life. Maybe it can't happen until this stage. To no great end, all of this, other than to understand the world better, understand myself better. And it's working.
  • bloodninja
    But what makes the micro and macro actualizable goals within one's life possible as such? It seems to me like the numerous actualizable goals we have in life might always refer back to, and make sense on the basis of, a non-actualizable existential understanding one has of oneself (e.g. Husband, Father, Wife, Bourgeois, Proletariat, etc.).The latter, which is not meant here merely as an actualizable social status, but rather as a non-actualizable existential self-understanding, might very necessarily be the condition of possibility of the former actualizable goals. I could go into more detail if pressed...

I think it is interesting to consider the possibility that one's social status (as say a Mother for example) might not necessarily align with that person's existential understanding of themselves. I think this point nicely shows the difference between the actual and the existential levels of analysis. She has the social status of Mother, but her world is not significant for-the-sake-of being a Mother
  • TheMadFool
    I have no goals. I read somewhere that a goal=prey and so, naturally, the prey and goal flee in the opposite direction. I think there's a grain of truth in such a worldview.

This contrasts with facts though. Everyone has an objective or goal and their whole being is directed towards acheiving it.

I find that interesting because all one needs to do is look up at the stars, try to comprehend the vast scale of the universe itself, to rethink on the value of any human goal/objective.

Of course one needn't be that philosophical and return to Earth, country, community and family to see how much can be achieved at that level.

It's perspective I guess and there's no good reason to prefer one over the other.
  • Galuchat
    I have no goals. — TheMadFool
    No surprise there.

Is it necessary to have a 'goal' in life? — krishnamurti
    Only if action is a possibility (i.e., there are no goals in death).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.