• Mikie
    Watching “Cunk on Earth” on Netflix. Very funny.
  • 180 Proof

"It's moving but it's not sentimental."
  • 180 Proof
    I miss riding down B'way in Manhattan and BSing in a taxi like Brutha Cornel with an everyday philosopher who's driving a hack on her third shift... :death: :flower:

(2008)

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/791990
  • Tom Storm
    I saw this some time ago - it's astonishing. Courage... Ardono... truth as a way of life... small 't' truth... you can't fully grasp the way the world is... philosophy needs to go to school with the musicians... Curtis Mayfield and Beethoven... - To paraphrase Marlene Dietrich on Orson Welles, after listening to this, I feel like a plant which has just been watered.
  • 180 Proof
    ↪180 Proof I saw this some time ago - it's astonishing. Courage... Adorno... truth as a way of life... small 't' truth... you can't fully grasp the way the world is... philosophy needs to go to school with the musicians... Curtis Mayfield and Beethoven... - To paraphrase Marlene Dietrich on Orson Welles, after listening to this, I feel like a plant which has just been watered.Tom Storm
    Yeeeeesssss! :clap:

I was paid the high compliment that this post of mine had reminded @green flag of this video interview. :cool:
  • Mikie
    Any one watch “Extrapolations” on AppleTV? It took me three times to finish the first episode. Tons of good actors, and it’s about climate change — but man, so far it suuuucccckkkkks.
  • Mikie
    The Limey (1999).

Great movie. Especially the ending.
  • jgill
    Just started Vortex on Netflix. Not what I expected! Talk about a strange murder mystery. In French.
  • Mikie
    Anyone see the CNN decades series? They did the 60s through 2000s back in 2014-2018. They just wrapped up “2010s.” I like these series— kind of fun. Good editing and production. About to watch some of these
  • Mikie
    Just saw Oppenheimer. Nolan is representative of the times— the “auteur” of plebs.

The entire thing has a cold, engineered quality. It’s also confusingly written and edited, has non-stop overbearing “music” (no melody and themes, just continuously jarring notes), and no soul.

The actors try their best, but it’s 3 hours of bells and whistles that tries desperately to be a “masterpiece,” when in reality it’s just an empty, boring, and enervating piece of shit.

Last time I’m convinced to go to one of these.
  • Tom Storm
    Interesting. I haven't seen a Nolan film I've much likened to be honest - I find them contrived, dreary and portentous. But I thought it was just me. Friends have seen 'Oppy' and really liked it.
  • jgill
    Just saw Oppenheimer. Nolan is representative of the times— the “auteur” of plebs.Mikie

I haven't seen it yet, but I really enjoyed the WGN production of the series Manhattan several years ago.
  • 180 Proof
    ... towards 'apophatic enstasis' :fire:

@javi2541997
    @Quixodian
  • javi2541997
    Master and Emperor Mishima, yeah! :100:

Heroic death, yes :flower:
    For me, this man will always be the representation of a legend.

He received more respect in Europe/USA than in Japan. :death:
  • javi2541997
    I am watching Sanjuro. It is the sequel of Yojimbo. You know I love samurai films. :cool:

• punos

Consider turning on captions.
  • 180 Proof
    The making of the last(?) Beatles' recording...

1Nov23

If I were to die, I'd rather people find a good finished master of my songs than a crummy old demo on a cassette. — George Harrison, 1979 Rolling Stone Interview

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/850584

2Nov23
  • javi2541997
    A 1960s classic.

• Vera Mont
    Hardly dare intrude on such exalted company. I've been vegging out with my new Britbox subscription on Prime. All the old BBC murder series - several of which I haven't even seen once. What a treat!
  • punos
    I Just finished watching this, and thought it was sufficiently thought-provoking to post here.

• jgill
    My wife and I started Equilizer 3 on Netflix tonight, but left it temporarily after the first 15 minutes since its beginning is too gruesome. I'll go back to it tomorrow.

All the old BBC murder series - several of which I haven't even seen once. What a treat!Vera Mont

The John Nettles Midsomer Murders were a delight. :smile:
  • AmadeusD
    Rewatching BBC Sherlock - about to hit His Last Vow - potential the best television episode of all time ;)
  • Mikie
    Everything, everywhere all at once.

Best picture winner last year. I have to say: meh.
  • jgill
    Everything, everywhere all at once.

Best picture winner last year. I have to say: meh.
    Mikie

I agree. I gave up and turned to something else. Too much like a video game.

Barbie, on the other hand . . . . :smile:
  • Vera Mont
    right now, nothing; I'm sitting here; the entertainment computer and large screen are in the warmer room, over there. At lunchtime, I watched a Nature of Things episode about the butt and its hole. Interesting, but just not the same without David Suzuki.
  • jgill
    I watched a Nature of Things episode about the butt and its hole. Interesting, but just not the same without David Suzuki.Vera Mont

Yes, he would have added an environmentalist's perspective to the subject. :cool:

(He and I were at U of C the same time).
  • Vera Mont

I met him once, way back in the early 80's, when they were doing a show on forensic pathology. He was utterly preoccupied with his new glare-free glasses and showed little interest in anything else. Did not make a great impression on the lab staff. But I liked the program and I like his books.
  • AmadeusD
    I missed this - but you should also check out Cunk on Christmas.

One of the funniest Christmas-related watches i've had in years.

That said, I am extremely disappointed by your clearly factually incorrect opinion on Nolan. That may be why I neglected to give you this Alpha Recommendation :shade:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.