• Jamal
    The history of YKK, the zipper king.

It’s is the kind of uselessly interesting viewing that works for me right now, while I am in bed with a transient but bothersome illness.
  • Jamal
    How the Mongolians view Genghis Khan.

• Mikie
    The Game". A 1997 seldom-known, underrated gem starring Michael Douglas.Outlander

A great movie. One of Fincher’s lesser known. Just re-watched it a year ago or so.

Funny the movies you choose to re-watch. As you get older, it’s as if you’ve never seen them— especially if you only viewed one time. It’s interesting how movies I once thought were the greatest thing since sliced bread (Shawshank Redemption, Thin Red Line) now becomes merely OK, while others I thought were good (The Insider, Jackie Brown) are now excellent. Guess it happens to everyone. An obvious observation, but whatever…
  • Lionino
    I have also watched a short doc about the topic some time ago. It is an interesting topic.
  • Lionino
    Gonna be watchind Dune 2 soon enough. But I am waiting for a time when the theater is very empty, so I can go by myself with a huge bowl of popcorn without looking like a loser.
  • Vera Mont
    Pottery Throwdown, Best in Miniature, Baking Show - both British and Canadian - and Race Against the Tide. We like contests of skill. I also watch construction, repair shop and home renovation programs. No recent Escape to the Chateau episodes, unfortunately.
  • jorndoe
    We watched 3 Body Problem :nerd:
  • Mikie
    Watched the Revenant (2015), An Officer and a Gentleman (1983), the Godfather (1972) and Anywhere But Here (1999)— in two days while under the weather.

All good. Godfather the best. The worst probably the Revenant — although Tom Hardy deserved an Oscar.
  • javi2541997
    All good. Godfather the best.Mikie

Every time I watch the movie I discover a new detail. What an excellent movie. And John Cazale was a fabulous actor! What a shame the cancer took him away so soon...
  • Mikie

“We don’t pay mooks.”
  • Moliere
    This is a great intro to historiography. I especially like that he's using a narrative we USians are familiar with, but is not controversial in the political landscape to demonstrate his point.

:D

I thought it was great. I bought a popcorn so big I didn't finish it in spite of the length of the movie, and had a great time.

I think the new Dunes are the first to really capture my experience of the first novel. The focus on the emotive aspects through the creation of mood worked for me in 1, and it worked for me in 2 as well.
  • Vera Mont
    Right now, I hear DS9, S4 E7 starting. I'm going to get a beer.
  • Lionino
    I thought it was greatMoliere

I liked it too. I just can't get into the main cast. Thimotee and Zendaya for main characters in a movie like this is just...
    I will probably watch the miniseries eventually
  • Benkei
    Did you read the books?

I was blown away with one concept in the books that had me recommending it to everyone I knew. Hasn't been introduced in the first season yet though.
  • jorndoe
    , haven't read the books; I'm told they're good. We've started watching the original Chinese TV version, "Three-Body". Like how it tickles the imagination, though my wife thinks it's a bit on the fantastical side. :nerd:
  • Moliere
    I liked it too. I just can't get into the main cast. Thimotee and Zendaya for main characters in a movie like this is just...Lionino

Is there an actor or actress you would have preferred?

I'm not sure what I mean by "the first to capture the mood", but I did have a deeper emotional connection to the new film than the old miniseries, tho of course that's predicated upon being familiar with the books, the miniseries, and then coming upon this movie.

I really liked it a lot. The fist one more than the 2nd, but that's only cuz I had a few nitpicks on 2 -- overall it ought be watched together, like Kill Bill 1&2.

I will probably watch the miniseries eventuallyLionino

If you mean the Sci-Fi Channel miniseries I like it a lot. It's what inspired me to read Dune in the first place because I liked the miniseries so much.

It's a solid bit of storytelling.
  • Lionino
    Is there an actor or actress you would have preferred?Moliere

It is just that Timothee, despite pushing 30, looks very young and boyish, his skull is very neotenic. That some rugged old fundamentalist from a sand planet would have a kid with pristine skin and silky hair as his saviour comes off as a bit goofy, even if it makes sense within the plot. A young mature-looking guy would come off better. Off face alone, I would say Felix Mallard fits the look.
    Aaaand, I just don't like Zendaya.

There is also the fact that in the new movies, Paul only spent one year (if that) with the Fremen in the desert. While in the books it was closer to 3 years.

Austin Butler however was excellent casting.
  • Moliere
    I'll push against the notion that Paul only spent so many years, tho maybe you could find a bit in the movie that proves it :) -- the movie felt more "thematic" and so didn't give details like that to my first watching. I just mean i didn't notice and liked how Stilgar was convinced because of the prophecy -- it wasn't the appearance as much as the neotenic boyish-man who refused the prophecy still fullfilled everything. Stilgar didn't care about the looks. He only cared about the truth-conditions of the prophecy, and even this nonbeliever met the conditions.
  • Lionino
    tho maybe you could find a bit in the movie that proves itMoliere

I got it from this article https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a46972485/dune-part-2-movie-differences-book/
  • jorndoe
    Godfather (1972)Mikie
    excellent moviejavi2541997
    Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. — Don Corleone

(... what I try to imitate (poorly) when someone asks me a favor)

Just have to watch the sequel though after the original. :)
  • 180 Proof
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Atheism_Tapes

Daniel Dennett, d. 2024
    Jonathan Miller, d. 2019
  • Lionino
    Just finished the Korean zombie series called Happiness. It is dumb. I loved it.
  • 180 Proof
    18April24, Avenue C, NYC
  • Jamal
    World Championship snooker from the BBC, my one enthusiasm in the world of sport (although traditionally it was classed as a game). Probably the best TV experience there is.
  • javi2541997
    Hi @Alkis Piskas :smile:

I found a very interesting video of an interview with Kazantzakis. He speaks in French, but fortunately the video has subtitles in both Greek and Spanish. K talks about when he wrote a biography of Francis of Assisi. By that time, K was very sick, but he was inspired by that friar who faced and overcame the sickness once. I think this testimony is heart-warming and worth seeing.

I didn't know K was also a translator! He said to the interviewer that he accepted translation jobs under the Nazi occupation to get food supplies for the people! What a magnificent soul!

1678910Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.