• Clayton Sharrits
    I consider it my definition. I've come to that definition by my own research and contemplation. Isn't that what a philosopher is to do?
  • charleton
    ↪charleton I consider it my definition. I've come to that definition by my own research and contemplation. Isn't that what a philosopher is to do?Clayton Sharrits

It is wise to establish a definition, stupid to assume that your definition is a perfect form that has existed since the dawn of time, absolute, objective and universal.
    Claiming such a definition is a great way to establish an ideal code and to assess other moral positions from that perspective. It is not a means to stand on a high horse and demand that your standards are the only ones.
    By asserting a definition it is possible to say how and why such consequences of that position could work for others. Kant asserted the Categorical Imperative, Bentham Utilitarianism. Both positions useful and assessable through comparison; neither are natural and neither are objective, though they may co-op objective knowledge, and the natural "is" of conditions; neither entails an "ought".
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet