• Rich
    I agree. Ups and downs and lots of in-betweens.
  • BC
    Charleton sometimes has interesting things to say.T Clark

When he's not being a dick and a charlatan.
  • BC
    Some people become happy via murdering, slaughter, abusing, exploitation, raping, kidnapping etceteraKitty

You are confusing the a-morality and moral impairment of psychopaths with their alleged happiness. Psychopaths are generally not happy; they are also generally not remorseful. And besides, one doesn't have to be a psychopath to murder, slaughter, abuse, exploit, rape, kidnap, and so on.

And paedophiles per se are not psychopaths either. (Are you English? Australian? You spelled it paedophile; nothing wrong with that, of course, if it makes you happy. Some people spell it pedophile, which is not more correct or less. You also didn't use the Oxford comma, so my geo-grammarian locator tool is confused.)

Pedophiles don't choose to be pedophiles; they just are--not that they should be turned loose on the nearest elementary school, either. But within the limits of the law and what society considers acceptable, yes -- they too may pursue happiness.
  • T Clark
    When he's not being a dick and a charlatan.Bitter Crank

Sometimes while.
  • CuddlyHedgehog
    Psychopaths are generally not happyBitter Crank

How do you know? It depends on how you define happiness. Everyone experiences it differently. They clearly derive some kind of enjoyment from their criminal activity or they wouldn't feel so urged to repeat it.
  • CuddlyHedgehog
    Some people spell it pedophile, which is not more correct or lessBitter Crank

The correct spelling should be paedophile as it originates from the greek word "παιδο" = child, which contains an a=α and an e=ι.
  • BC
    It does thus originate, true, Not to get too fussy, but doesn't "παιδο" contain a lower case alpha and a lower case iota? That aside, are you from England or Australia? There are differences between American and British spellings. Like, color and colour, center and centre.
  • BC
    How do you know?CuddlyHedgehog

How so I know? I conducted a survey of 3329 practicing psychopaths (they're listed in the phone book) and asked them if they were happy. 22% said they were happy, 73% said they were not happy, and 5% said that providing me with a slow and painful death might make them slightly happier than they were at the time.

It depends on how you define happiness.CuddlyHedgehog

True, and I suppose I don't know whether psychopaths are happy. However, people who are psychopaths, and not merely slightly to somewhat psychopathic (a much larger group) don't seem to be happy. They don't connect with other people very well, they don't attach. The connections between their fore-brains (frontal cerebral cortexes) and limbic systems may be structurally impaired. Does serial murder makes a classic psychopath happy? I don't think so.

Remember, psychopathy is abnormal; so is sociopathy. The normal routes to normal (and socially acceptable) satisfactions do not seem to be open to them.
  • CuddlyHedgehog
    How so I know? I conducted a survey of 3329 practicing psychopaths (they're listed in the phone book) and asked them if they were happy. 22% said they were happy, 73% said they were not happy, and 5% said that providing me with a slow and painful death might make them slightly happier than they were at the time.Bitter Crank

Sounds legit.
  • BC
    It is. Sort of, in a totally crooked way. Other people make up their statistics, I make up mine. And if you say it with a straight face and with conviction, a lot of people will believe you.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.