• Deletedmemberzc
    I don’t trust the GOP...NOS4A2

Good to know.

So I'll ask you again: What do you have to say about Trump's well-documented history of making false and misleading statements?

Do you trust Trump?
  • NOS4A2

Good to know.

So I'll ask you again: What do you have to say about Trump's well-documented history of making false and misleading statements?

Do you trust Trump?

I don’t trust politicians as a matter of principle. As long as what Trump says is interesting and hilarious I’m fine with it. So no I do not trust Trump but I do like what he says.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    As long as what Trump says is interesting and hilarious I’m fine with it. I...like what he says.NOS4A2

Well. That tells us a lot about you as a person.
  • NOS4A2

Well. That tells us a lot about you as a person.

What does it tell you about me as a person?
  • Deletedmemberzc
    ...I do like what he says.NOS4A2

So you find nothing at all objectionable in his habit of making false and misleading statements?
  • Deletedmemberzc
    What does it tell you about me as a person?NOS4A2

Quite a bit. But I've insulted you enough. I'll keep it to myself.

One thing I will mention: It means you value hilarity over veracity. That's just childish.
  • NOS4A2

So you find nothing at all objectionable in his habit of making false and misleading statements?

I prefer the little falsities and misleading statements to the Big Lie of public relations politics. I like to know what my leaders are thinking, whether true or false.
  • NOS4A2

Quite a bit. But I've insulted you enough. I'll keep it to myself.

One thing I will mention: It means you value hilarity over veracity. That's just childish.

I’m not insulted at all. I love hearing people try to psychoanalyze others from afar. They insult themselves.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    ...little falsities...NOS4A2

That's laughably understated.

I prefer the little falsities and misleading statements to the Big Lie of public relations politics.NOS4A2

Trump is the King of PR. He might as well have studied with Bernays.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    psychoanalyzeNOS4A2

You don't seem to know what this word means.

The words people say certainly tell us something about the people who say them. Do you dispute this fact?
  • NOS4A2

You don't seem to know what this word means.

The words people say certainly tell us something about the people who say them. Do you dispute this fact?

I do not dispute that.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    So you find nothing at all objectionable in his habit of making false and misleading statements?ZzzoneiroCosm

Still waiting for an answer to this one...
  • NOS4A2

Still waiting for an answer to this one...

No, not really. Again I don’t look to politicians for truth. In fact I think it would be idiotic and naive to do so. What I want is leadership and results.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    No, not really. Again I don’t look to politicians for truth. In fact I think it would be idiotic and naive to do so. What I want is leadership and results.NOS4A2

Spoken from a pedestal of privilege. Trump's lies damage lives.

"Even more alarmingly, there is a clear correlation between Trump campaign events and incidents of prejudiced violence....The association between Trump and hate crimes is not limited to the election itself. Another study, based on data collected by the Anti-Defamation League, shows that counties that hosted a Trump campaign rally in 2016 saw hate crime rates more than double compared to similar counties that did not host a rally."

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2019/08/14/trump-and-racism-what-do-the-data-say/

"Brookings states that its staff "represent diverse points of view" and describes itself as non-partisan,[2][15] and various media outlets have alternately described Brookings as "conservative",[16] "centrist"[17] or "liberal".[18] An academic analysis of Congressional records from 1993 to 2002 found that Brookings was referred to by conservative politicians almost as frequently as liberal politicians, earning a score of 53 on a 1–100 scale with 100 representing the most liberal score."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookings_Institution
  • NOS4A2

Trumps words damage lives. That’s not the first stupid thing I’ve heard today, but pretty close.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    I appreciate your appreciation. Starting to feel like I understand something about this debate.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    That’s not the first stupid thing I’ve heard today, but pretty close.NOS4A2

The first stupid thing was doubtless the first thing you said this morning. :lol:

Anyway, apparently research from the Brookings Institute isn't enough to temper your Trump-infatuation.

And it's clear you refuse to submit to reason. You reject any fact you don't like, and that without support, or a reference or a reason.

In short, you're simply not worth talking to. But I'll continue to point out your lies, when I see them, when I have time.

I'll leave you with the etymology of "infatuate."

1530s, "turn (something) to foolishness, frustrate by making foolish," from Latin infatuatus, past participle of infatuare "make a fool of," from in- "in" (from PIE root *en "in") + fatuus "foolish" (see fatuous). Specific sense of "inspire (in someone) a foolish passion beyond control of reason" is from 1620s.

And, again:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."

Unknown
  • I Karamazov
    ZzzoneiroCosm, I want to thank you for the curation of this topic, it can be exhausting slogging through this debacle.

A question that has been on my mind the past few months is: when does one become aware that an Orwellian takeover is under way in one's country. It seems to me that we are at a point that American politics is veering towards this trajectory. Perhaps it has been for some time...
  • NOS4A2

Trump’s words are so powerful he can manipulate matter. You believe in sorcery, friend.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    It seems to me that we are at a point that American politics is veering towards this trajectory.I Karamazov

I don't think we'll really know if we've taken the Orwellian turn until after the 2020, and if Trump wins, after the 2024 election.

Alarmism hits me out of the blue sometimes. But with all the lies on the left and the right, it's impossible to see through the fog.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Trump’s words are so powerful he can manipulate matter. You believe in sorcery, friend.NOS4A2

Gray matter, absolutely.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Trump’s words are so powerful he can manipulate matter. You believe in sorcery, friend.NOS4A2

The debate will continue after you've addressed the research from the Brookings Institute, referenced above.
  • NOS4A2

The debate will continue after you've addressed the research from the Brookings Institute, referenced above.

What’s to debate? Correlation does not imply causation.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    What’s to debate? Correlation does not imply causation.NOS4A2

Always a convenient end-stop slogan for the infatuated.
  • NOS4A2

Always a convenient end-stop slogan for the infatuated.

What? No article to tell you how to respond?
  • Deletedmemberzc
    What? No article to tell you how to respond?NOS4A2

No need to respond further. If you're content with your slogan re the rise in hate crimes in the United States, you obviously don't care about the victims of hate crimes.

I know what I need to know about you, Nosferatu.
  • ssu
    No, not really. Again I don’t look to politicians for truth. In fact I think it would be idiotic and naive to do so. What I want is leadership and results.NOS4A2
    Just when it's the democrat politicians lying, it's an outrage and shows their twisted ways... :wink:
  • NOS4A2

Just when it's the democrat politicians lying, it's an outrage and shows their twisted ways...

Hah. To be fair lying in congressional hearings and senate trials is a big deal.
  • NOS4A2
    The Senate trial begins for the day. The defense has 22 hours remaining to make their case.

Kenneth Starr of Clinton impeachment fame begins first.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.