• Walter Pound
    I guess I am one of the few rightists on this place?
  • prothero
    I guess I am one of the few rightists on this place?Walter Pound

What does it mean to be a "rightest". I have some traditional conservative principles about smaller more efficient government, personal responsibility, economic or fiscal rationality, local decision making, free trade and promotion of representative elected governments in the world. The problem is the current Republican party and this president in particular represents none of these things.
  • unenlightened
    Are you honest enoughpraxis

Good question. Everyone needs a dedicated fact check site, like this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-claims-database/?utm_term=.e0d278da29e2
  • Relativist
    After hearing Trump's proposal for a temporary extension of DACA, I was modestly optimistic that this might be at least an initial step towards some kind of compromise. I was so wrong. The actual legislation the White House sent to the Senate does even more harm: it curtails the ability to apply for asylum and it does not extend DACA - it replaces it, reducing the number than can apply; and the TPS extension is also limited. (see this article).

These issues should be debated and shaped legislatively, in a comprehensive reform of immigration law.
  • karl stone
    President Evil
  • frank
    President Evil — karl stone
    Thank god we kept our machine guns. The zombies are upon us.
  • karl stone
    President Evilkarl stone

Thank god we kept our machine guns. The zombies are upon us.frank

Fake news!
  • frank
    It's truthful hyperbole.

Hyperbolic truth.
  • karl stone
    President Evilkarl stone

Thank god we kept our machine guns. The zombies are upon us.frank

Fake news!karl stone

It's truthful hyperbole.frank

If you're Russian!
  • S
    President Evilkarl stone

Who else read it in that voice? (If you didn't, you're either doing it now or you don't get the reference).
  • karl stone
    President Evil
    — karl stone

Who else read it in that voice?S

If he was giving the SoU, and his head split open and teeth and tentacles spewed out - Fox News would still be like:

'Great job Mr President!'
  • frank
    That's what the White House has been missing: more teeth and testicles.
  • ernestm
    Do you know the DoD advertising budget is $4 billion a year. the DoD could almost pay for the entire wall this year just by putting ads on it.
  • Baden

"According to DOD officials, advertising is one of several tools, which also includes recruiters, that the department uses to influence individuals to consider military service. DOD requested almost $575 million for fiscal year 2017 for its advertising programs."

https://www.gao.gov/assets/680/677062.pdf
  • ernestm
    "According to DOD officials, advertising is one of several tools, which also includes recruiters, that the department uses to influence individuals to consider military service. DOD requested almost $575 million for fiscal year 2017 for its advertising programs."Baden

The DoD solicits funds in multiyear packages, just as advertizing is paid for.
  • Baden

First line:

"The government has spent more than $16 billion over the last decade on outside advertising, marketing and public relations contractors"

So that's an average of $1.6billion per year for all departments including PR, making your claim impossible.
  • ernestm

The DoD solicits funds in multiyear packages, just as advertising is paid for.
  • Baden

I don't want to bang on about it as it's not very important, but it's irrelevant how many years the funds are requested for. The budget is not $4 billion a year as you claimed. It's about a tenth of that.
  • ernestm

Advertizing is ALSO PAID FOR PERIODS OF TIME

You think far too much of your own intellect.
  • Baden

It doesn't take a giant intellect to use Google and do basic math, so I don't feel like I'm exactly stretching my peacock feathers here. But OK. Let's move on.
  • ernestm

Good idea. If the wall's there for 20 years, that's 5 billion divided by 20. You do the math yourself again.
  • Baden

My comment regarded the false figure of $4 billion a year you stated as the DOD ad budget. The wall ad fantasy bit doesn't interest me.
  • praxis
    1548263435077-GettyImages-1096688500.jpeg?crop=0.9997037037037038xw%3A1xh%3Bcenter%2Ccenter&resize=2000%3A*

Tell a lie & I will sigh
  • karl stone
    If he was giving the SoU, and his head split open and teeth and tentacles spewed out - Fox News would still be like:

'Great job Mr President!'
    karl stone

That's what the White House has been missing: more teeth and testicles.frank

Geraldo?
  • frank
    Geraldo?karl stone

Yes. I'm on location in Russia.
  • karl stone
    Geraldo?
    — karl stone

Yes. I'm on location in Russia.frank

Your talent for sycophancy should serve you well - or at least, keep you alive!
  • karl stone
    Just heard President Evil RAT-OUT Cohen's father in law.

The father of the wife of a man who worked for him, and is going to jail because his records were seized.

New low.
  • frank
    Your talent for sycophancy should serve you well - or at least, keep you alive!karl stone

I'm just trying to make a living here. Maybe I do a little brown-nosing. What have your principles gained you?
  • karl stone
    Your talent for sycophancy should serve you well - or at least, keep you alive!
    — karl stone

I'm just trying to make a living here. Maybe I do a little brown-nosing. What have your principles gained you?frank

What did Micheal Cohen's sycophantic adoration of President Evil get him? He got his records seized, hauled over the coals by the FBI, and while facing a long time in jail for crimes he committed on President Evil's behalf - his family were threatened, and his father in law was ratted out on live TV.
  • frank
    He was collateral damage.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.