• Metaphysician Undercover
    I have a sinking suspicion the GOP might betray the president.NOS4A2

Oh, I forgot to say, I really like the way that quote looks. Let me try it again

Yes, it's beautiful isn't it?
  • Relativist
    If any GOP members "betray" the President, doesn't that mean they're setting politics aside and following their conscience? What a nightmare!
  • NOS4A2
    I hope you guys are enjoying the holiday.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim January 20, 2020, as the Martin Luther King, Jr., Federal Holiday. On this day, I encourage all Americans to recommit themselves to Dr. King’s dream by engaging in acts of service to others, to their community, and to our Nation.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-martin-luther-king-jr-federal-holiday-2020/
  • Relativist
    Nice sentiment, but I don't understand why he's "proclaiming" it a Federal Holiday. Ronald Reagan signed it into law (despite initially opposing it) as a Federal Holiday in 1983.
  • Noah Te Stroete
    I believe everything Donald Trump says. He speaks the language of the people! lol
  • NOS4A2

Nice sentiment, but I don't understand why he's "proclaiming" it a Federal Holiday. Ronald Reagan signed it into law (despite initially opposing it) as a Federal Holiday in 1983.

I think every president does it every year to specify the exact day. Trump did it last year. Obama did it before him. Bush also.
  • Wayfarer
    I’ve been reading about Trump’s impeachment defence. Basically, the argument is another expression of contempt for Congress and the law. By denying that there was anything wrong with Trump’s conduct towards the Ukraine, the defence is basically stating that Trump is above the law, or that the law doesn’t apply to him.
  • NOS4A2

Actually the defense is saying the impeachment effort is a "brazen and unlawful attempt to overturn the results of the 2016 election and interfere with the 2020 election". The articles are "constitutionally invalid, founded on falsehoods" and thus should be rejected.
  • Wayfarer
    That is what they’re saying, but it has no foundation in fact. Furthermore the impeachment enquiry was established on the basis of witness testimony and in accordance with constitutional principles. So the claim that the trial is improperly established is also completely false.

As always with Trump, he accuses his accusers of the blatant wrongdoing that he himself has committed. That is his ‘defense’.
  • NOS4A2

That is what they’re saying, but it has no foundation in fact. Furthermore the impeachment enquiry was established on the basis of witness testimony and in accordance with constitutional principles. So the claim that the trial is improperly established is also completely false.

As always with Trump, he accuses his accusers of the blatant wrongdoing that he himself has committed. That is his ‘defense’.

The charade is not in accordance with constitutional principles because Trump is well within his constitutional powers to do what they claim he did. Not only that but he didn't do what they claimed he did.

"Article 1 Fails because House Democrats have no evidence to support their claims" (The case rests entirely on Sondland's speculations, which he admitted were presumptions)

"Abuse of Power" is a concocted theory that does not rise to the level of "Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors".

It also presents a dangerous precedent, allowing a hostile House to attack almost any presidential action if s/he does them for what they believe are the wrong reasons, expanding impeachment beyond constitutional bounds.

Anyways there is much to go through in their defense.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6662414/Trump-Legal-Team-Impeachment-Trial-Memorandum.pdf
  • Wayfarer
    Trump is well within his constitutional powers to do what they claim he did. Not only that but he didn't do what they claimed he did.NOS4A2

False. Trump has been caught dead to rights, is lying his way out of it, and you promote his lies, because you’re a disinformation agent.
  • NOS4A2

False. Trump has been caught dead to rights, is lying his way out of it, and you promote his lies, because you’re a disinformation agent.

I get it. You've been strung along by democrat lies this entire time. When they said "bribery" or "extortion" you followed along, parroting it willingly and uncritically. When they didn't show in articles of impeachment you sing "abuse of power" at the top of you lungs. You've been duped. You know I know that, you know I can see that, and the best you can do is resort fantasy in an attempt to alleviate the dissonance.
  • Wayfarer
    The Wikipedia page on the Trump Ukraine scandal has a very useful digest of the facts of the case, along with a list of all of the witnesses who testified in the open hearings, including Yovanovich, Hill, Kent, Vindman, Sondland, and Taylor. It lays out very clearly the initial basis for the charges, specifies exactly what crime has been committed, and includes links to further documentary evidence and other sites and resources.

The accepted wisdom is that, as Trump has essentially corrupted the GoP, that he will be acquitted by the Senate, but it will be very interesting to see how this hearing plays out, for example if some new piece of information makes continued defense of Trump impossible on pain of perjury, which is possible. I will check in from time to time over the next few weeks.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.