• Deleteduserrc
    Hey guys, any of you remember way back in December when there was that argument about archefossils and Schopenhauer and Idealism? I promised then to outline my dissatisfactions with Schopenhauer's 'solution' - endorsed by TGW - to the archefossil problem (or pseudoproblem, depending on your view.)

I worked on a post for a couple weeks but it quickly became cumbersome. There were 3 or 4 avenues of attack that seemed promising, but I couldn't get them to sit pretty together as parts of a larger whole. On top of that, no separate avenue seemed persuasive unless dialectically worked out, through simulated dialogue with an opponent. The post started to get really long, kinda too long.

I felt - and still feel - confident in the criticisms, but the hassle and frustration and lack of time eventually led me to abandon the whole thing. Now that I've got a few months of relative free-time, though, I'd like to revisit this. I think it would work best as a socratic back-and-forth, if TGW - or anyone who shares his view - is down.

To refresh, the deal with the archefossil is that it purportedly proves a time anterior to consciousness.

Schopenhauer's 'rebuttal' goes like this:
    “The world as idea, with which alone we are here concerned, only appears with the opening of the first eye. Without this medium of knowledge it cannot be, and therefore it was not before it. But without that eye, that is to say, outside of knowledge, there was also no before, no time. Thus time has no beginning, but all beginning is in time. Since, however, it is the most universal form of the knowable, in which all phenomena are united together through causality, time, with its infinity of past and future, is present in the beginning of knowledge. The phenomenon which fills the first present must at once be known as causally bound up with and dependent upon a sequence of phenomena which stretches infinitely into the past, and this past it self is just as truly conditioned by this first present, as conversely the present is by the past. Accordingly the past out of which the first present arises, is, like it, dependent upon the knowing subject, without which it is nothing. It necessarily happens, however, that this first present does not manifest itself as the first, that is, as having no past for its parent, but as being the beginning of time. It manifests itself rather as the consequence of the past, according to the principle of existence in time. In the same way, the phenomena which fill this first present appear as the effects of earlier phenomena which filled the past, in accordance with the law of causality.”

So for TGW or anyone who agrees with him, I guess I'll start with these twin questions:

In reference to an 'archefossil, is the statement 'this fossil is x [where x is a date before the advent of consciousness] years old' true?

In reference to another artifact, dated using the same techniques, is the statement 'this artifact is fifty years old' true?

(Feel free to qualify, if necessary.)
  • Wosret
    That's not my understanding of the deal with the archefossil. My understanding is that it is supposed to demonstrate that we can think in non-phenomenological terms. Highlighting a distinction between the manifest, and scientific image. Brassier's criticism was that the archefossil grants far more than it should to phenomenology, in that it implies a special status, or significance to pre-phenomenological states, as if science doesn't offer equally phenomonologically problematic descriptions of current events.

So, I don't think that an idealist, or phenomenologist has to actually suggest that past events, or pre-perceiving/thinking things events never occurred at all, they must simply hold that the possibility of their thought, comprehension, inference lies in analogy to our experienced events, and world.
  • The Great Whatever
    Hey, welcome back.

I won't commit to defending everything Schopenhauer says, but I think he's basically right.

I'd answer yes to both questions, and then add 'but it only became true that they were that old at some point in time.' In other words there wasn't always a linear timeline -- that's a temporal development.

This kind of talk does violence to ordinary language notions of tense -- it doesn't make much sense to say that only at a certain point in time did something in the past come to have occurred at that point in time. Natural language seems to view time as quasi-linear and viewable from an 'eternal' perspective. But that's okay -- I think you have to invent technical concepts to do interesting philosophy.
  • Deleteduserrc
    Yeah, I won't ask you to hew to the Schopenhaueran letter.

I don't think any violence is done to common sense by saying e.g. "it was only at some point in time that it became true that Alice was ten years old." Most people would agree. They'd say that the point in time at which it became true that Alice was ten years old was a point ten years after she was born.

So I'm assuming your later characterization is more what you're aiming at: Not that something presently becomes a certain age, but presently comes to have occurred at a certain time in the past.

Is that fair?

If so, at what point in time did it become true that the fifty year old artifact came into being in 1966?
  • Deleteduserrc
    Much of what you say, I agree with. Some of it I don't. For the sake of this thread, I'm not interested in Brassier's criticisms. I'd rather just follow this path where it goes.
  • The Great Whatever
    So I'm assuming your later characterization is more what you're aiming at: Not that something presently becomes a certain age, but presently comes to have occurred at a certain time in the past.csalisbury

Yeah, so the right formulation would be 'it was only at some point in time that Alice came to have become ten years old in 1987,' or something like that. That doesn't make much sense if the timeline is fixed.

If so, at what point in time did it become true that the fifty year old artifact came into being in 1966?csalisbury

When time became linear and quantifiable. Schopenhauer seems to treat it as an all at once thing, once presentation exists it has its necessary forms which includes time. But I doubt there is any non-human animal that experiences time linearly in the appropriate way, and certainly there are none that can quantify it (in fact, some humans cannot even really quantify in the way we think of it, or so the anthropological reports seem to suggest).

A realist is going to say time was quantifiable all along, it just took us a while to gain the skills to do it. That's probably the crux of the debate.
  • Deleteduserrc
    Did time become linear and quantifiable before or after 1966?
  • The Great Whatever
    Before, since there were already calendars by then. The retrospective structure makes it so that once time became quantifiable, in retrospect that event had to have happened at a certain point in linear time (this is basically just what Schop says).

When exactly? I don't know, at some point near the end of evolutionary history -- linear roughly when you can think in tense, and quantifiable roughly when you have numeral terms and apply them to a cycle.
  • Deleteduserrc
    It would follow, then, that the time at which it became true that the artifact came into being in 1966 was a time well before 1966. Do you agree?
  • The Great Whatever
    Good question, but I don't think any particular answer follows from what I've said. If you think the future is always genuinely open, even if you don't have these Schopenhauer-like positions, then the answer will be 'no' no matter what. If you think the future is determined, then the answer would be 'yes' no matter what. Other people think that temporal evaluation is relative in this sense that prior to 1966, there would have been no fact of the matter, but post-1966 (as it is now), the answer is yes. In other words it seems orthogonal to this position.

Also, to get the tense right, you'd have to say 'the time at which it became true that the artifact would come into being in 1966.'
  • Deleteduserrc
    (I'm sincerely glad you're not taking an eternalist position. That would've bummed me out to no end.) I think what I said follows exactly from what you've said. I asked at what point in time it became true that the artifact came into being in 1966. You said "when time became linear and quantifiable." I asked whether time became linear and quantifiable before or after 1966 and you answered well before. Where am I going wrong?
  • The Great Whatever
    Well, you're switching the tenses. Now that it's past 1966, asking:

If so, at what point in time did it become true that the fifty year old artifact came into being in 1966?csalisbury

Is fine, assuming we don't go back before 1966. But once you do, you need to change the past tense to a past-future with would. So it would be:

If so, at what point in time did it become true that the fifty year old artifact would come into being in 1966?

Asked this way, answering 'before 1966, of course' is perfectly intelligible, assuming you've just got a standard deterministic position about time once linearized. So yeah, I'd say it follows, but if you don't keep the tenses straight you might think there's a problem with the philosophical position that really arises from weird grammar.
  • Deleteduserrc
    Just to make sure I'm clear: you take a standard deterministic position about time once linearized?
  • The Great Whatever
    I think the question is orthogonal, but if you wanted to make things as simple as possible you could assume a deterministic position, with one linear timeline. So it was true in 1955 that the artifact would come into existence in 1966 (even though we might not have been able to know this in 1955 because we can't tell the future), and so on.
  • TheWillowOfDarkness
    For the realist, it is not the quantifiable time at stake, but rather the moment of the past. The states of the world, which we sometimes talk about, which were present before any quantified them or experienced anything about them.

What's at stake in the case of a fossil is the moment when it when its creature lived, not that's been quantified (that's done entirely in the present).

Schop doesn't take the argument far enough. It's not just our present which has no beginning or end. That's true of every moment, including the lives of fossilised creatures, the formation of planets or the presence of mountains. Realism is concerned about the existence of things without the presence of experience (which we sometimes know of in our present) not whether they are quantified or not. You and Schop are still stuck treating these lived moments as if they are points on a linear time.
  • Deleteduserrc
    I don't think it's orthogonal. If you don't take the deterministic position, then, tenses aside, the question of when it became true that the artifact would/did come into being in 1966 is *not* the moment time became linear
  • The Great Whatever
    Why not? You mean because if you're not a determinist, it might not be true until 1966 itself? But why does that matter? Schop talks about retrojection into the past, which is fixed whether you're a determinist or not. Maybe talking about the future is confusing things?
  • Deleteduserrc
    It's xxx x b.c. there may or not be an artifact x that comes about in 1966. It could go either way. How can a statement in xxxx bc about x's date of creation be true? or false?
  • TheWillowOfDarkness
    TGW is smuggling in the future perspective there: he knows the artifact came into being in 1966, so he is aware that in 1955 it was true the artifact would come to exist in 1966.

There is one truth here: is the artifact come into being, there was a moment when it was there, in 1966. Our knowledge of the event or what happened prior doesn't matter to this truth. Logically, it was that moment defines the presence of the artifact in1966. The presence of the artifact can't be cited as necessary (inevitable, going to happen in the future) be any prior state or moment on a linear timeline.
  • The Great Whatever
    That depends -- a determinist will say it was true even then that it would come about in 1966 -- the fact that you didn't (or maybe couldn't) know that doesn't change the fact that it was true.

A non-determinist might say that at that point, it was neither true nor false that it would come about in 1966.

But these issues have to be resolved regardless of whether you talk about Schopenhauer's retrojection of the past.
  • Deleteduserrc
    Ok drop Schop for now. Do you side with the determinist or the non-determinist?
  • The Great Whatever
    I'm inclined to believe the determinist. It's plausible that something like 'It will rain' means 'at a future time, it rains [tenseless],' and if such a thing is neither true or false when we say it, it boggles the mind why we would ever say, or argue about, such things. Yet we talk about the future and can be wrong about it now -- how could we be, if there is no determinate future to be wrong about? You can try to get around all this with some fancy formal tricks, but I'm not clear on why that's necessary.

In other words, the indeterminist seems to be committed to the felicity of things like 'It will rain, but that's not true, of course.'

It's a complex question and tbh one that I think is more a linguistic matter about how tense functions in language and not that interesting metaphysically.
  • The Great Whatever
    However, treating the future as determinate is only an artifact of the present linearization of time, which itself will eventually be undone. So there is a deeper sense in which the future is indeterminate -- it is (or is treated as being) determinate only for the present. Schop. would say it's just part of the way we cognize, to enforce a linear form on it -- but this is just representative of our cognitive faculties (in my case, of our present temporal conventions, themselves subject to temporal change).
  • TheWillowOfDarkness
    As stated here, I side with neither (or both), for they are both wrong (and right).

The determinist is right because what ever happens in the future will happen. There is always a truth of what is going to happen. We just don't know it most of the time. Yet, the form of determinism you seem to be discussing here is also wrong, because those future events are not an inevitable outcome of what happened before. At any time, anything may or may not happen. The future which will happen is only defined in the moment of its occurrence.

Just as the non-determinist argues, what happens is always in the process of becoming. They are, however, wrong there is no truth about what will happen in the future. In a world where an artifact is created in 1966, the truth of that moment remains even in previous years, for it is about what happens at that point in 1966 rather than anything that's true about a past year.
  • Deleteduserrc
    When I say it won't rain tomorrow and it rains tomorrow, was I really already wrong at the moment I said it wouldn't rain? That's not clear to me. I can look back, knowing it will rain and say I was wrong then . In any case future events fall along a probabilistic spectrum. At xxxx bc, X's coming into being in 1966 is at the far end of that spectrum.Do you think the precise way in which linear time ends is implicit in the conditions at its birth?
  • TheWillowOfDarkness

Such analysis is doomed to failure becasue you are treating moments as if they all together in one moment of a linear timeline.

To this question there is no "when." You are either wrong or right. In the moment of tomorrow, it either rains or it doesn't. There is no point where you change form being possibility right, to possibly wrong, to right, or to wrong.

At any time, you are both possibility right and possibly wrong (as it may or may not rain tomorrow) and either right (if it rains) or wrong (if it does not).
  • The Great Whatever
    When I say it won't rain tomorrow and it rains tomorrow was I really already wrong at the moment I said it wouldn't rain?csalisbury

It seems to me yes. A lot of philosophers dispute this, so maybe people don't have robust intuitions on this issue. But yes, I'd say clearly you were wrong then -- you said it would rain, and it didn't. In fact I can contest you at the prediction time and tell you you're wrong. If we all knew that future statements could never be true or false at the time of utterance, such a dispute would be literally nonsensical, and we'd all have to be massively ignorant abut how our own language works. It makes the ability to talk about the future, and the point of it, a sort of mystery. If the indeterminist were right it seems to me we'd never make future claims or argue about the future, but just wait around til things happened and only then dare to talk about them.

That's not clear to me. I can look back, knowing it will rain and say I was wrong then .csalisbury

There is some recent work by a guy named John MacFarlane that takes this stance about future claims, and essentially says that when uttered, they have no truth value, but when assessed from after the time the event happens, they retrospectivey become 'true all along.' Very wild stuff -- I'm just not sure how accurately it tracks actual linguistic behavior.

Surely without doing some sort of weird logic, to say you were wrong then is the same thing as to say 'you're wrong now' at the time of utterance. Otheriwse, you're saying you were wrong then, but weren't wrong then (!) Not that this can't be reconciled with formal tricks, but the question is, do you want to.

In any case future events fall along a probabilistic spectrum. At xxxx bc, X coming into being in 1966 is at the far end of that spectrum.csalisbury

A determinist is just going to deny that, though. It either will happen or it won't. You might assign subjective probabilities based on your information, but that only reflects your ignorance, not a metaphysical indeterminacy.

Do you think the end of linear time is totallu enfolded in its birth?csalisbury

Sort of, yeah. The way we're forced to think about time in our present temporal conventions makes us see it as linear and determined, because of the way we have to think about cause and effect. But again, I think these are only present conventions that will disappear, and so will the linear timeline. And even in the present, I tend to think of these things as just conventions, of a sort -- if you like they're dictated by the logic of our language and customs, but don't have any interesting 'reality' outside of that. They're like maxims or rules for how to think about things -- if you place yourself within those rules, you have to follow them.
  • Deleteduserrc
    I'm gonna be a total dick right now bc I don't care. If you have any questions related to this thread, please start another thread and post them there.
  • Deleteduserrc
    Think I'm done for the night. Posts are getting more intricate and i'm (1) posting on my phone from a bar and (2) drinking. Down to take it from here tomorrow though
  • TheWillowOfDarkness
    I'm not dealing in questions. I'm commenting on what both your accounts are missing and why you keep stumbling over questions of determinism and indeterminism.

TGW's approach to determinism in their last post is pretty good. Though, I don't think it will satisfy you becasue it doesn't go into the metaphysical indeterminism which accounts for the possibility of any logically coherent existing state at anytime. Your aversion to TGW's analysis seems to be the idea determinism eliminates possibility.

Anyway, if you just want to keep going in circles with TGW, I'll leave you to it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.