• theomen
    I have been self-studying philosophy for a couple of years, sometimes consulting a professor about which books to read when. I'm now thinking about applying to a bachelor's degree program in Germany or United States after a year; during which I intend to study in a more systematic form than before.

My professor suggested two sets of books which they recommend to b.a students as main references: Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy and Copleston's a History of Philosophy. I am not sure which one to study or if there is a better option.
  • Wayfarer
    I would also have said Copleston. There’s also a series called New History of Western Philosophy published by OUP (details here). I don’t think there are that many better options in terms of compendia. My view and approach is that an historical approach is useful; and never underestimate the seminal texts, particularly Plato’s dialogues.

Actually - an anecdote. Years ago I was perusing the Philosophy section in a very large bookstore and overheard a conversation between an obviously-erudite professor of philosophy and a grad student. (I was dying to ask him who he was, but never did.) Anyway, this professor made a remark that stayed with me - slightly tongue-in-cheek, but still - he said ‘The Greeks; The Medievals; the Germans. That is all you need to understand about philosophy. The rest is nonsense.’
  • theomen
    The Greeks; The Medievals; the Germans. That is all you need to understand about philosophy. The rest is nonsense.
    This reminds me of Whatehead's comment on Plato: 'The safest general characterization of the European philosophical tradition is that it consists of a series of footnotes to Plato.'

I think I'll stick to Copleston and then decide about what to read next. Thank you for the help.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.