• ballarak
    Our modern method of interrogating reality depends on falsifiability via the scientific method. We take a claim, then check its validity via experimental data. This depends on the ability to A) test the claim, and B) reproduce the results of the experiment (including the ability for others to reproduce the results). Could we have phenomena in this universe that we couldn't reliably test and interrogate in manner? Phenomena that doesn't behave consistently or according to a set of physical laws?
  • Galuchat
    Reading your OP, I have criterial evidence that your mind exists, but I do not have empirical evidence that it exists. So, does your mind exist?
  • Mitchell
    Not just my "knowledge" of your mind, but my knowledge of my own consciousness would seem to be "non-falsifiable. What would count as evidence against the claim, "I am aware of my pain"?
  • sime
    A Logical Behaviourist would dispute that minds aren't observable. After all, we didn't learn the concept of 'other minds' by being shown the private contents of people's skulls or by psychically observing their souls in an ethereal realm. Ergo, our concepts of other minds are reducible to the behaviour we observe and our reactions to behaviour.

Ergo, the presence of other minds is falsifiable.
  • tom
    No, it is not possible for non-falsifiable objects or phenomena to exist. Falsifiability applies only to theories: explanations that account for objects and phenomena.
  • Sam26
    I would agree that knowledge of our own minds isn't falsifiable, but I would disagree that knowledge of someone else's mind isn't falsifiable. It's certainly logically possible, and probably metaphysically possible that other minds could turn out to be a very advanced computer simulation. Is it likely the case, of course not, but we're talking about what's possible.
  • Wayfarer
    Our modern method of interrogating reality depends on falsifiability via the scientific method.ballarak

Not reality: phenomena. Phenomena comprise the objects of experience, but reality includes the observer. And that is not a scientific statement, but a philosophical observation, so could not be falsified by empirical means.
  • Sam26
    I agree, falsifiability, as far as I know is only applied to arguments or theories. Moreover, not all arguments necessarily have to be falsifiable.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.