• S
    There has been a recent change on The Philosophy Forum: I have been removed from the site staff and am no longer a moderator. The reason was stylistic: my frank manner of speech was felt to have a detrimental effect on the representation of the forum, and, having been assigned the role of a forum representative, that was deemed to be unacceptable. The substance of what I was saying, however, was not even a factor. What I was saying may well have been true. But it might have caused some offense - which is apparently a no-no - even though the content that I am referring to contained no insults. Rather, the problem was that some people might find such directness unpleasant. (Wah).

A consequence of this decision is that I no longer have the power to edit the content of others, as I used to do quite frequently, and without my doing so or flagging posts, the editorial standard is likely going to slip somewhat. It may have already done so to some extent. (I have a keen eye for noticing these things).

Another consequence is that my manner of speech might not actually change or might even become yet more frank. And, regardless of the role that I'm assigned, in practical terms, someone such as myself may simply be more notable, or more readily associated with this forum, than someone else - whether that someone else is a member of the site staff or not.

This is not an appeal to regain my former position as a moderator. This is just some feedback. (Yes, another one of those).

So, how do you feel about the practical consequences of this change? (How do you intend to celebrate this hollow victory?) And is this not yet another example of the shortcomings of a certain sort of idealism, or, dare I say, political correctness?
  • Agustino
    So, how do you feel about the practical consequences of this change? (How do you intend to celebrate this hollow victory?) And is this not yet another example of the shortcomings of a certain sort of idealism, or, dare I say, political correctness?Sapientia
    I look at this change as a defeat. The people in charge of this website used you as (1) a sacrifice in order to be able to say that moderators (themselves) are not immune to action, (2) moderators who don't fit the bill with regards to POMO views of sexism, political correctness and so on so forth will be eradicated (a warning to other moderators to watch what they do), and (3) a way to get rid of a pernicious element who didn't fit in on the moderator team in terms of modus operandi and beliefs.

I predicted your downfall here:
    Right. If the North Korean people don't like Kim Jong Un they should go vote. It says it's a democratic people's republic afterall, so it must be true. It's sad to see you defending the status quo, I thought better of you. You do lack class consciousness in this regard.

Your only fault was that you didn't realise that you were the weak link early on, and worked to get the right people on the moderator team to prevent something like this. Instead, you allowed the very people who meant your doom to come on the moderator team. It was only a matter of time before the right circumstance to get rid of you came along. In other words, you allowed others to outmanoeuvre you.

What are the practical consequences? The solidification of the existing power structures, which means less dissent and more obedience. The diminution of the possibility from those dissatisfied with the moderators to complain anymore.
  • Jamal
    It's odd to be accused of political correctness of all things. In any case, thanks for your concern. We'll be trying to maintain standards, as always.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet