• ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I was looking around and saw that you can get a *Free Trial of this format. Is there a fee that someone is paying? If so, how much so we can set up framework to make sure that bill gets paid by all the users not just host. Feel free to toss out ideas on that framework, in that it might be easier to make a subscription fee or donation link. I would be happy to make sure that goal is met.
  • Jamal
    Hi Tiff, welcome aboard! Thanks for this. Yes I'm on the free trial at the moment and have to start paying November 3rd I think, $49/month so long as we don't outgrow the limits for that plan. There's a subscription option in admin which I intend to turn on soon. I guess what it does is add a page where members can subscribe (donate). I'll post here when I get somewhere with it.

https://plushforums.com/pricing

Thanks again :)
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Thank you for your kind welcome jamarob and for all you are doing to help us stay together. The page you suggest turning on is an awesome function!
    As always, let me know if there is anything I can do.
  • Hanover
    I'm definitely in favor of some sort of plan where we can donate, preferably with a set annual fee (or at least a suggested donation) based upon what is needed to keep the site up. As we've learned, it's a wonderful concept to make the site completely free to all comers, but it poses a real hazard when the financial demands aren't being met. I think if we'd have all learned of the financial issues at PF earlier, we'd have likely met those challenges and could have avoided all this.

Oh, and we need a shout box if possible. I think we're getting clutter in the general sections where a shout would have been all that is required. Of course, if the software doesn't allow for shouts, then no shouts.
  • Mongrel
    If jamalrob decides to continue this site, I don't think it would be acceptable for him to ever have to put out money for it.
  • Baden
    If jamalrob decides to continue this site, I don't think it would be acceptable for him to ever have to put out money for it.Mongrel

(Y)
  • Jamal
    I've turned on the subscribe page, and it links through to my PayPal business account (CommissionCrowd) at the moment because I don't have one dedicated to this forum.

Moderators and admins don't see the link, which is in the top menu. Mods who want to see the link, just sign out.

I still have to write something to put there. And we still need to decide on what privileges subscribers get. We can hide certain categories from non-subscribers, disallow certain actions (like posting), show adverts, etc.
  • Wosret
    My name ought to be purple.
  • Jamal
    Good man, thanks! As far as I know you can't show off your subscriber status. I would draw the line at purple names anyway. ;)
  • Wosret
    As long as you realize that I suffer the most by this move.
  • Michael
    Unless you create a Subscriber role and (manually?) and subscribers to this role?
  • Jamal
    Yep, there's a subscriber role set up. Just have to decide what to do with it, if anything.
  • Michael
    The Green Room ;)
  • Wosret
    Should have special coloured names. Doesn't have to be purple, could also be violet, or for something completely different, a fun mixture of red and blue.
  • Jamal
    or your money back?
  • BC

Perhaps the Panhandler In Chief should have a tin cup as an avatar? reuqgpq16xlqr1cf.png
  • The outlaw Josey Wales
    Threw a couple bucks your way. Hopefully, cost never has to be a distraction. Thanks, for taking the needed initiative guys creating this place. It was the right path.
  • Jamal
    Thank you outlaw, it's appreciated.
  • Jamal
    By the way, I've been trying to set up a special PayPal account for this so I can avoid using my regular business account, and keep the money separate, but I'm having a lot of trouble. PayPal can be such a pain with stuff like email addresses and phone numbers and addresses.
  • jorndoe
    Dang Nov 3rd, that's in a good week from now.
  • ProbablyTrue
    Any chance of an Amazon.com click through? It could be under the subscribe page and when people are going to go to Amazon and buy something, they can just click through and TPF will get a little somethin. I think it's called Amazon Associates.
  • Agustino
    Just got the 6 months subscription! :) Do I get to turn green or something now? >:)
  • Jamal
    Thanks for your support :)

For some reason I'm having to manually set subscribers to subscriber status, and when I do that it calculates the subscription expiry, which is always one month, even if they paid for six months. I'm going to have to get that fixed. In the meantime, ignore anything it says about your subscription expiring on November 26th.

Oh, and sorry no, no green names here.
  • unenlightened
    I would like to see some ads please, so I don't have to feel guilty about my poverty and meanness.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.