• T Clark
    I had no idea you guys were talking about human trafficking, child sex workers, and child labor.Brianna Whitney

It didn't start out that way, that's just the way it has evolved. It started out talking about how children are more mature now than they were in the past because of changes in information technology.
  • Brianna Whitney
    It didn't start out that way, that's just the way it has evolved. It started out talking about how children are more mature now than they were in the past because of changes in information technology.T Clark

Ha. *now* I’ll quote.
  • TheMadFool
    our brains are not developing any faster now than in the past.Bitter Crank

May be our brains aren't developing faster but our minds are. With widespread media children have access to vast numbers of experience, a key necessity for maturity, and that, I feel, is accelerating mental maturity. From a negative perspective children also need to grow up faster if they're to avoid exploitation by adults.

IF you observe typical young children who seem more advanced intellectually than what you think children growing up on the farm 100 years ago were, you're probably experiencing the bias of exposure to children whose parents are more sophisticated, understand the importance of lots of positive verbal interaction with their children, and make sure it happens.Bitter Crank

A good point but you can't deny that the average person today is more sophisticated than, say, in the 1900s and this trickles down to children.

So, it is not necessarily autonomy of the child but rather an open mind that some children may have the capacity to make an informed choice. But yes, certainly in the case of sexual abuse, sometimes it is simply better to take that paternalistic approach to protect them from exploitation.TimeLine

Yes, it's not an open-and-shut case. The problem is complex and the law isn't as sophisticated as is necessary to handle it. One could even say that jurisprudence is flawed - always looking for the universal when we know that each case is unique enough to deserve special legal considerations.

Yes, children need nous but the only way to acquire it is through experience and in the modern world experience can be acquired second-hand through the media.

I’m not sure what timeframe/culture you’re referring to as comparison to modern expectations. Will you divulge?Brianna Whitney

Take America 1800s or 1900s and now 2000s. A lonely farm, some animals, a stray book compared to an urban setting with TV and broadband.
  • Brianna Whitney
    Take America 1800s or 1900s and now 2000s. A lonely farm, some animals, a stray book compared to an urban setting with TV and broadband.TheMadFool

The expansion of the tech revolution has us people that used library index cards wide eyed in wonder.

Children now have access to all information (don’t regulate!!! Like it’s not going to happen, anyway, tho. boo).

I’d think if there’s a reason children are more mature and sophisticated, it’s that many have been given the permission, resources, and tools they need to reach full potential.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.