• Agustino
    I know exactly what this means. You're worried about all sorts of shit you can't control so you're trying to assure yourself that you're doing exactly what you ought to be doing and that you're exactly in the right place and you're using as evidence of this some completely irrelevant things that you're trying to convince yourself are important, but you know deep down they're really not, and this is so not what you want to hear.

It's all self deception to alleviate your sense of hopelessness. It's distressing to me. I can't imagine what it's like to you.
    Hanover
    It's funny that I see this much like you, but I've also been deceived with regards to Wosret in the past, so I wouldn't jump to your conclusion so quickly on this issue.

I have a very logical and methodical personality, and I've found that that extreme logic, attention to detail and step-by-step method was essential to my success in education, philosophy and in entrepreneurship for that matter (and a few other things, like chess). But, I think it's dangerous to translate expertise in any of those domains to other domains, because it doesn't translate very well.

Wosret processes information and does things very differently than you and I. From our discussions together, we don't share the same premises, but we're quite similar in our approach otherwise - we both approach things very methodically, in a step-by-step fashion. Wosret doesn't seem to be like this at all.

I have no clue how he can function with what I identify as very little structure to life, compared to myself. But he does it. And I've met people like him, who I never thought could actually do anything, who actually do things that amaze me. I have no idea how though :s

I would personally describe Wos's OP as a panic attack kind of situation. I would definitely feel terrible in that situation lol.

the near complete absence of anxiety already is worth more than all the gold.Wosret
    I've also experienced a great reduction in anxiety for the past 8 or so years, but it's been gradual for me, definitely not sudden. And it has been proportional to the growth of my knowledge, and my capacity for action, doing things, and understanding things.

So for me, if I'm not logical and analytical, and don't know everything, then I would be anxious. I always need to be on top of everything to avoid anxiety. You don't seem to be like that, so I'm curious how it is that you got over your anxiety? You (and people like you) seem to be moving in leaps whereas I move in steps.
  • Wosret
    So for me, if I'm not logical and analytical, and don't know everything, then I would be anxious.Agustino

Sounds like Asura's shtick, trapped in a sack of his own skin. I'm of course Maka, the weapon that took the path of the meister.
  • Agustino
    Sounds like Asura's shtick, trapped in a sack of his own skin. I'm of course Maka, the weapon that took the path of the meister.Wosret
    I'm not sure what those references mean :P - so if you wish that I understand better, you'd have to explain in idiot language. :P
  • Wosret

Asura is the villain of soul eater, he swallowed his own soul out of fear of it, and spreads his madness of paranoia and existential anxiety, only feeling confident with a complete grasp of the causes, and situation.

Maka is a weapon master, that wields her soul like a weapon, her father being death himself's scythe, but since she harbored resentment towards him, she became a weapon master rather than a weapon herself.
  • Wosret
    Oh yeah, death imprisoned him in a sack of his own skin, and seeing as the outside world became entirely unknowable to him from there, he decided that it didn't exist.
  • Agustino
    Oh yeah, death imprisoned him in a sack of his own skin, and seeing as the outside world became entirely unknowable to him from there, he decided that it didn't exist.Wosret
    Asura is the villain of soul eater, he swallowed his own soul out of fear of it, and spreads his madness of paranoia and existential anxiety, only feeling confident with a complete grasp of the causes, and situation.

Make is a weapon master, that wilds her soul like a weapon, he father being death himself's scythe, but since she harbored resentment towards him, she become a weapon master reason than a weapon herself.
    Wosret
    Hmmmm - so are you suggesting that I am like a villain who swallows his own soul out of fear of it? :P :-O
  • Wosret

I'm saying that he has the same method of anxiety relief. Falls to shit though when things do stuff you aren't expecting.
  • Agustino
    I'm saying that he has the same method of anxiety relief. Falls to shit though when things do stuff you aren't expecting.Wosret
    Hmmm, maybe, but you can get quite efficient at controlling those things. It just requires that you take a step by step approach to things, much like the scientific method itself. It requires that you leave nothing to chance. And of course, with regards to many things, it requires that you avoid them altogether, especially if the chance of failure is great.

So if one or two things go haywire, not a big issue. But if five, six different important things go haywire at the same time, then it is a problem for someone like me. I don't see how you can avoid that though.
  • Agustino
    I also think we form these "techniques" based on our goals and what we're practically trying to get done. So if you have different goals, I'd expect you to have different means of pursuing them too basically.
  • Wosret
    I don't see how you can avoid that though.Agustino

Have you tried not giving a fuck? Lol. I swear by it.
  • Agustino
    Have you tried not giving a fuck? Lol. I swear by it.Wosret
    No, because then you can't reach your goals man :(
  • Wosret

Irony is a mastery of truth. Perhaps it's the opposite.
  • Wosret
    Or maybe... just maybe... thy're the same thing! Zomg I'm doing it! Damn... gave too much of a fuck, ruined it.
  • Agustino
    Irony is a mastery of truth. Perhaps it's the opposite.Wosret
    I don't know - again, I've seen people take your attitude, and reach their goals. How they do that remains a mystery to me. I haven't found that to be the case for me when I tried it, so then I adapted, and learned that I have to work on things in a systematic way, and hold onto every little win I get along the way, before the "big" win. That's why I said that I think it depends on what you're trying to do, and really your context and personality. That will determine the methods you use.

Or maybe... just maybe... thy're the same thing! Zomg I'm doing it! Damn... gave too much of a fuck, ruined it.Wosret
    >:O
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.