• believenothing
    Where do forgotten things go? Or do the ideas simply cease to exist? Maybe forgotten ideas are are somehow reabsorbed into the fabric of information? - a bit like how dead things rot. Or maybe they never really existed in the first place?

Off topic:
    If you remember to forget how to forget then you can forget to remind yourself,
    if you forget, you might still have a different perspective..
    but if you forget to remember how to remember then you may as well remember to forget about it.

Is it really possible to ever truly forget something? Sometimes I seem to forget that I'm alive.

Anyway, where is the best place to start? We all seem caught up in the middle of something, trying to keep up with things, if you understand the question, you might still need more context..
  • Cavacava

Forgetting is kind of a filtering process that enables us to remember significant experiences and disregard insignificant ones.

according to a new review paper from Paul Frankland, a senior fellow in CIFAR's Child & Brain Development program, and Blake Richards, an associate fellow in the Learning in Machines & Brains program, our brains are actively working to forget. In fact, the two University of Toronto researchers propose that the goal of memory is not to transmit the most accurate information over time, but to guide and optimize intelligent decision making by only holding on to valuable information.
  • T Clark
    Where do forgotten things go? Or do the ideas simply cease to exist? Maybe forgotten ideas are are somehow reabsorbed into the fabric of information? - a bit like how dead things rot. Or maybe they never really existed in the first place?.....Is it really possible to ever truly forget something? Sometimes I seem to forget that I'm alive.

Anyway, where is the best place to start? We all seem caught up in the middle of something, trying to keep up with things, if you understand the question, you might still need more context..
    believenothing

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say, but some things came to mind as I read.

Where do forgotten things go? I'll speak in terms of my experience. Maybe StreetLightX can talk about neurology. As I've gotten older, I get the feeling that everything that has ever happened to me is still happening now. It's all happening at once. Things that happened to me 50 years ago are just as real as those that happened five minutes ago. The people are just as real. I care about them just as much. I'm not claiming some mystical experience, it's just an artifact of memory, one I enjoy very much. I'm also not saying that I remember the details of everything that happened, only that my life, past, lays out in an impressionistic tapestry. On the other hand, there are parts of my past I am cut off from where the tapestry is faint or cloudy.

Here's something else that came to mind, although I don't think this is what you were talking about. I always like a chance to quote from my favorite poem - The Black Cottage by Robert Frost:

Most of the change we think we see in life
    Is due to truths being in and out of favour.
    As I sit here, and oftentimes, I wish
    I could be monarch of a desert land
    I could devote and dedicate forever
    To the truths we keep coming back and back to.
    So desert it would have to be, so walled
    By mountain ranges half in summer snow,
    No one would covet it or think it worth
    The pains of conquering to force change on.
    Scattered oases where men dwelt, but mostly
    Sand dunes held loosely in tamarisk
    Blown over and over themselves in idleness.
    Sand grains should sugar in the natal dew
    The babe born to the desert, the sand storm
    Retard mid-waste my cowering caravans—
  • believenothing
    In fact, the two University of Toronto researchers propose that the goal of memory is not to transmit the most accurate information over time, but to guide and optimize intelligent decision making by only holding on to valuable information.

Sounds plausible. I think I wanted this thread to be a bit like a reject bin, I will come back to it..
    I can't think of an example of an insignificant experience so I suppose you make sense in a way, I would like to learn how to control my mind and it seems difficult, perhaps impossible.
  • believenothing
    I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say, but some things came to mind as I read.T Clark

Thanks T Clark, sounds to me like you are saying forgotten things go no-where?

On the other hand, there are parts of my past I am cut off from where the tapestry is faint or cloudy.T Clark

I get the impression you have clearly understood my question and I'm glad you replied.
  • T Clark
    In fact, the two University of Toronto researchers propose that the goal of memory is not to transmit the most accurate information over time, but to guide and optimize intelligent decision making by only holding on to valuable information.

Sounds plausible. I think I wanted this thread to be a bit like a reject bin, I will come back to it..
    I can't think of an example of an insignificant experience so I suppose you make sense in a way, I would like to learn how to control my mind and it seems difficult, perhaps impossible.
    believenothing

Of course, there are people who, apparently, remember everything in detail.
  • Sir2u
    I came back to make a comment but I don't remember what I was go to say.

I bet I remember as soon as I turn off the computer.
  • BC
    IF we are speaking in the broader context of culture, it would seem like somethings that are lost, are really and truly lost. Some things that are lost, however, have donated to the culture parts of themselves.

Take the Antikythera mechanism as an example. The Antikythera mechanism is an ancient Greek analogue computer and orrery used to predict astronomical positions and eclipses for calendar and astrological purposes. Measuring 340-millimetre (13 in) × 180-millimetre (7.1 in) × 90-millimetre (3.5 in) the mechanism employed 37 intermeshing bronze wheels; the largest--5.5 inches, had 223 teeth. It was lost in a shipwreck The function or purpose of the thoroughly encrusted object was not immediately obvious. By carefully clearing away some bits of corrosion, using advanced imaging techniques, and reconstruction, several pieces of lost information were found.

1. Greek craftsmen were able to cut precisely fine toothed gear wheels.
    2. The various diameters of the wheels was precise.
    3. the manually powered wheels could predict future eclipses, positions of stars, and so forth.
    4. A lot of knowledge about astronomy was baked into the Antikythera mechanism.

The lost object did not deprive the Greeks of anything more than the object itself. Everything that went into the mechanism--knowledge and technique--remained in Greek culture--for a period of time, at least. By sinking to the bottom of the sea, the object was, however, lost to those immediate successors who might have benefitted from having it. Eventually the Technique was lost, and wouldn't be redeveloped for another 1500 years with clock mechanisms. The knowledge about the movement of the moon, sun, planets, and so forth was dissolved into succeeding cultures, and became quite degraded as the cultures themselves degraded.

How information and technique is lost is a more interesting story than a boat sinking and taking with it lots of interesting stuff.

The Antikythera mechanism
    275px-NAMA_Machine_d%27Anticythère_1.jpg
  • Sir2u
    Where do forgotten things go? Or do the ideas simply cease to exist? Maybe forgotten ideas are are somehow reabsorbed into the fabric of information? - a bit like how dead things rot. Or maybe they never really existed in the first place? — believenothing

Now I remember.
    This would seem to apply to many traditions and folkways. The cultures tend to keep them going without any memory of why they do it.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    A portion of your reply has been posted on The Philosophy Forum Facebook page. Congratulations and Thank you for your contribution.
  • AngleWyrm
    Where do forgotten things go? Or do the ideas simply cease to exist?believenothing
    They go to new memories. The storage space gets a make-over.
  • believenothing
    They go to new memories. The storage space gets a make-over.AngleWyrm

:)
    nice way of seeing it.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    They go to new memories. The storage space gets a make-over.AngleWyrm

Belivenothing is right in that what you said is a lovely way of thinking about it.
  • Noble Dust
    Retard mid-waste my cowering caravans—T Clark

What a delicious line.
  • T Clark
    What a delicious line.Noble Dust

Yes. It's one of the poems that feel good to say out loud.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    One of the poems I love to say out loud is called
    Pioneers! O Pioneers!
    "Come my tan-faced children,
    Follow well in order, get your weapons ready,
    Have you your pistols? have you your sharp-edged axes?
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

For we cannot tarry here,
    We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger,
    We the youthful sinewy races, all the rest on us depend,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

O you youths, Western youths,
    So impatient, full of action, full of manly pride and friendship,
    Plain I see you Western youths, see you tramping with the foremost,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

Have the elder races halted?
    Do they droop and end their lesson, wearied over there beyond the seas?
    We take up the task eternal, and the burden and the lesson,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

All the past we leave behind,
    We debouch upon a newer mightier world, varied world,
    Fresh and strong the world we seize, world of labor and the march,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

We detachments steady throwing,
    Down the edges, through the passes, up the mountains steep,
    Conquering, holding, daring, venturing as we go the unknown ways,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

We primeval forests felling,
    We the rivers stemming, vexing we and piercing deep the mines within,
    We the surface broad surveying, we the virgin soil upheaving,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

Colorado men are we,
    From the peaks gigantic, from the great sierras and the high plateaus,
    From the mine and from the gully, from the hunting trail we come,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

From Nebraska, from Arkansas,
    Central inland race are we, from Missouri, with the continental blood intervein'd,
    All the hands of comrades clasping, all the Southern, all the Northern,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

O resistless restless race!
    O beloved race in all! O my breast aches with tender love for all!
    O I mourn and yet exult, I am rapt with love for all,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

Raise the mighty mother mistress,
    Waving high the delicate mistress, over all the starry mistress, (bend your heads all,)
    Raise the fang'd and warlike mistress, stern, impassive, weapon'd mistress,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

See my children, resolute children,
    By those swarms upon our rear we must never yield or falter,
    Ages back in ghostly millions frowning there behind us urging,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

On and on the compact ranks,
    With accessions ever waiting, with the places of the dead quickly fill'd,
    Through the battle, through defeat, moving yet and never stopping,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

O to die advancing on!
    Are there some of us to droop and die? has the hour come?
    Then upon the march we fittest die, soon and sure the gap is fill'd.
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

All the pulses of the world,
    Falling in they beat for us, with the Western movement beat,
    Holding single or together, steady moving to the front, all for us,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

Life's involv'd and varied pageants,
    All the forms and shows, all the workmen at their work,
    All the seamen and the landsmen, all the masters with their slaves,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

All the hapless silent lovers,
    All the prisoners in the prisons, all the righteous and the wicked,
    All the joyous, all the sorrowing, all the living, all the dying,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

I too with my soul and body,
    We, a curious trio, picking, wandering on our way,
    Through these shores amid the shadows, with the apparitions pressing,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

Lo, the darting bowling orb!
    Lo, the brother orbs around, all the clustering suns and planets,
    All the dazzling days, all the mystic nights with dreams,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

These are of us, they are with us,
    All for primal needed work, while the followers there in embryo wait behind,
    We to-day's procession heading, we the route for travel clearing,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

O you daughters of the West!
    O you young and elder daughters! O you mothers and you wives!
    Never must you be divided, in our ranks you move united,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

Minstrels latent on the prairies!
    (Shrouded bards of other lands, you may rest, you have done your work,)
    Soon I hear you coming warbling, soon you rise and tramp amid us,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

Not for delectations sweet,
    Not the cushion and the slipper, not the peaceful and the studious,
    Not the riches safe and palling, not for us the tame enjoyment,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

Do the feasters gluttonous feast?
    Do the corpulent sleepers sleep? have they lock'd and bolted doors?
    Still be ours the diet hard, and the blanket on the ground,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

Has the night descended?
    Was the road of late so toilsome? did we stop discouraged nodding on our way?
    Yet a passing hour I yield you in your tracks to pause oblivious,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!

Till with sound of trumpet,
    Far, far off the daybreak call—hark! how loud and clear I hear it wind,
    Swift! to the head of the army!--swift! spring to your places,
    Pioneers! O pioneers!
  • Michael Sansbury
    This is obviously a philosophy of the mind question, so I hate to bring science into it, but I do remember reading that memories are more like reconstruction than retrieval. Over time, the more insignificant memories degrade in their reconstruction, as the neurons and synapses are repurposed for new memories. However, from what I understand, every memory still exists in the brain, just in more fragmented, harder to put together ways.

In terms of philosophy of the mind, I'd imagine a dualist would say something about memories disappearing into the non-physical world. A materialist might be closer to the scientific explanation.

You were right on the money about how they decompose to be repurposed.
  • believenothing
    Our ideas may be recycled whether we choose to share them or not.
  • Outlander

Reminded of a very good movie. Should check it out.

Interestingly enough it's called "Re-Cycle". :)

Bit of horror but very well done where it's not even the focus. Stunning. Visually. And conceptually. Must see. Man I want to watch that now.
  • Vladimir Krymchakov
    I left this forum forever.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.