• Myttenar
    Hypothetical: sattelites clocks in space have been known to pick up extra time while travelling through space which we attribute to a direct relation to velocity. But entertain the idea that spacetime does in fact have an effect on objects that push through it, perhaps a force that is physically insignificant but also carries a charge of energy that is transferred by the interaction between the object and spacetime- perhaps not unlike the principal of a static energy transfers. Now given that 'time' is not recognized as an energy or as an effect of, but assumed to be related to velocity as a portion of time that is in truth insignificant considering the energy consumed to move the object at a speed capable of accomplishing the aggregation of extra seconds. If we consider time to be a form of energy in this example then we can logically proceed with commonplace principals of energy conversion to explain the appearance of a few seconds as an energy transfer that would occur alongside the velocity but not as a direct result of it. Instead the object's momentum in space and the force spacetime exerts on the object builds a charge in the object not unlike a static charge would build, except that when the energy is released instead of a spark or shock the energy is released as an excitation between the object and the fabric of spacetime and that connection to spacetime provides a brief break from the energetic force that the fabric of spacetime expresses, which is partly the passing of time and why we gained the time that the connection existed.
    By entertaining the idea of time being an energy or energetic expression of the stuff that makes up spacetime we do seem to avoid a couple problems with the current ideas.
    Time differentials become an easy idea to reconcile as we should observe a time differential if time energy was indeed escaping from behind the veil that keeps spacetime in order and resolving the energy emissions of spacetime as an entrophic energy we call time... Any thoughts? M
  • AngleWyrm
    Paragraph > 3 sentences, tl;dr. It seems the author/witness is excited over the idea, which is kinda adorable, but it distracts the focus from message to messenger. Stay on target Red five, and fame will take care of itself.

The topic proposes an interpretation of time that is incompatible with the commonly used model of time as a geometric 4th dimension of space-time. Does the new model present useful ways to measure and use information related to time? Is there a way to differentiate the two models with a mutually exclusive test?
  • John
    I disagree.

I propose that time isn't actually a thing but that it is derived from the rate of change in the universe. If everything were to stop moving and changing then time would also stop. It is a sequence derived from comparing frames. I thought of this while I was studying calculus, which is in a way the study of change.

I acknowledge the assumption of my argument is that my memories are not false and that the observation of words appearing on the screen at a fairly constant rate are also not false.
  • Myttenar
    It is still explained by the same model of spacetime. It would refine it to show time as an energetic interaction between what we consider spacetime and the physical reality and quantify time in a slightly different way.
    Thought I haven't studied the model recently I don't believe the adaption would create much of a difference as far as the operation of the model.
  • Myttenar

I see your point. From my perspective i do understand your expression of time as a series of frames, and I am saying that there is, as part of that subset, a frame that contains itself and all of those subsets in a single frame and represents an object which has the property of expressing itself with the effect of what we perceive as time passing.
  • John
    What model are you referring to? I am aware that the difference between light and matter becomes murky at the infinitely small but I know very little about spacetime.
  • John
    I see what youre saying now, like how the fourth dimension can be described as a line?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Gotl9vRGs
  • Myttenar
    Actually thats the one big hurdle of the thought and the reason I doubt it's validity..
    I assume the link is about a Rob Bryanton idea, imagining the tenth dimension?
    Amazing conceptualization.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    I propose that time isn't actually a thing but that it is derived from the rate of change in the universe. If everything were to stop moving and changing then time would also stop. It is a sequence derived from comparing frames. I thought of this while I was studying calculus, which is in a way the study of change.John

Time as a concept is abstracted from change in the universe. But don't you think that change is something real, which is occurring in the universe? And if so, isn't time necessary for change, whether or not any human beings abstract the concept of time? Then time passing is a necessary condition for change. Why couldn't there be time passing without any change occurring?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment