• Streetlight
    In the wake of the much celebrated Arab Spring - the revolutions which toppled political regimes all across North Africa and the Middle East - there's been something like a souring of hope: not democracy, but a resurgence of authoritarian and hardline Islamism seems to have taken over many of the countries involved. An 'Arab Winter', as some have said. Exactly why this happened is an interesting question, but one compelling reason that has been fourth is a lack of any alternatives; specifically, any alternatives which would provide a compelling vision of life, of what 'life well led' might consist of.

In their wonderful To Our Friends, The Invisible Committee write, for instance, that "what is at issue in contemporary insurrections is knowing what a desirable form of life would be. But recognizing this would immediately mean recognizing the ethical inanity of the West. And this would rule out attributing the victory of this or that Islamic party after this or that uprising to a presumed mental backwardness of the populations. It would have to be admitted on the contrary that the strength of the Islamists lies precisely in the fact that their political ideology presents itself as a system of ethical prescriptions first of all. To put it differently, if they were more successful than the other politicians, it's precisely because they didn't situate themselves mainly on the terrain of politics."

This passage warrants some comments: the first is that the use of 'ethics' here harkens back to an old use of the term, one concerned less with 'good and evil' - what I'd prefer to call moralism - than with what it means to live, and to live well. As the Committee write, the problem is a matter of making avaliable 'a different idea of life', which, as a set of examples, might consist of "sharing rather than economizing, conversing rather than not saying a word, fighting rather than suffering, celebrating our victories rather than disallowing them, engaging rather than keeping one's distance". It's worth recalling at this point that the Greek term ethos refers to 'habit', or better, a 'habitual dwelling place'.

---

I think this idea, that people will mobilize themselves first and foremost for the advancement of an ethos - a way of life - to be incredibly powerful. It's helped me make sense, for example, not only of the failures of the Arab Spring, but of the success of the gay marraige push here in Australia. I was somewhat astounded at the level of political mobilziation here on the topic given that, on the balance of things, gay marraige only really affects a small percentage of the population, especially when placed side by side, with say, economic policy. On the other hand, what the debate over gay marraige offers, however, is precsiely a 'vision of a way of life': it crystallizes, in a way immidiately identifiable, a 'way of living' - an ethos - that goes beyond strictly 'political' concerns.

It's on this ground too, that so-called traditionalist politics have had a massive advantage over the left. For all its myriad failings, traditionalist politics provides, at least, a vision of a life well lived (the Committee speak of "a certain Protestant idea of happiness - being hardworking, thrifty, sober, honest, diligent, temperate, modest, reserved") that the left is sorely lacking. And moreover, that "as long as being of the left will mean denying the existence of ethical truths and correcting for that impairment with a morality that's as feeble as it is expedient, the fascists will continue to look like the only affirmative political force, being the only ones who don't apologize for living as they do. They'll go from success to success, and will go on deflecting the energy of nascent revolts back against themselves."

This need to cultivate a new vision of what it means to live well is, perhaps, one of the most enduring challenges facing the world today. And interestingly, I think there's a nascent understanding of this emerging here and there: one can see it in say, George Moboit's recent Out of the Wreckage - with it's focus on belonging and community - or indeed, in the Committee's own emphasis on communal living. Christopher DeWolf's recent book on street organization in Hong Kong is also a wonderful portrait of what it means to have a politics focused on a way of life and a manner of living that is exemplary for anyone interested in what one might refer to as the form of politics to come.
  • Streetlight
    It's entirely possible to think that to live and live well is to distinguish good from evil and then act on this realization. And if that's possible, then it's not immediately understood what you mean by living well.Πετροκότσυφας

True, but to think of living well in terms of good and evil is also clearly a 'narrowing' of the former, which can - and I think ought to - be understood in more general terms. One can think of a Spinozist ethics of joy, for instance, focused instead on the augmentation of our powers, or an environmental ethics of cultivation and care, focused on maintaining and sustaining the ecologies around us. No doubt these too can be 'co-opted' and thought of in terms of 'good and evil', but I don't think such a move is either necessary or desirable.

But how economic policy (e.g. cuts to military expenditures in order to introduce universal healthcare) does not offer "an ethos" in an (even more) immediately identifiable way?Πετροκότσυφας

I think it's a question of both participation and imagination: marriage is exemplary because it combines both: one can see oneself - or others - getting married, and to get married is to (among other things) exercise an expression (among others) of love and commitment. In some of the political literature, this stuff is talked about in terms of world-building: what kind of world do I want to live in, and how can one build, and be part of, that world? World-building in this sense is always 'outward looking' and participatory: one builds (or rather, helps build, in concert with others) the world around oneself so as to better exercise one's capacities in that world.

By contrast, something like universal healthcare - which I think is an unalloyed good, to be clear - is less participatory and more 'passive': one is bestowed something by an outside agent. This is all a matter of degree of course, and I'm purposefully sharpening the differences: to be able to see a doctor, to relieve one's pain (or to see others being able to live better as a result of better health), is also in some manner participatory and imaginative. DeWolf's book on Hong Kong street practices is also useful: he charts a dimension of politics inseparable from a sense of place and life lived in that place - the rooftop enclaves where people build community, the neon signs which individuate the streets, the unlicensed community projects to build useful infrastructure along inaccessible mountain-paths, etc.

These things resonate in a way far less abstract than - the still vitally important - talk of company tax rates and infrastructure privatization. The trick, I think, is to be able to speak about the these and the animating ethos in the same breath.
  • fdrake
    There's a blogger that links abstract properties of societies to real life impediments in the UK. How he writes is exemplary and worthy of study and mimicry.
  • Streetlight
    Heh, I reviewed that album for a publication when it was realesed and scored an interview with the guitarist as well. It's good stuff.

Thay said, 'what kind of world do we want to live in?' might just be one of the basic questions of democracy.
  • Erik
    Great OP. Hit the nail right on the head IMO.

Not sure what that inspiring new narrative could be, but it's something I think about all the time. Eager to check out those links.
  • Ciceronianus
    This need to cultivate a new vision of what it means to live well is, perhaps, one of the most enduring challenges facing the world today.StreetlightX
    I agree with you (mirabile dictu). I would add it's probably the most urgent challenge.

The need you mention may account for the resurgence of interest in ancient philosophies like Stoicism, by the way, as a guide to how to live (well to some like me, in any case).

A problem, I think, is that the need may be too easily addressed by a vision that's attractive because it's thoughtless (in the sense that it is based on the willing, even eager, acceptance of simple, unquestionable, maxims), exclusive and intolerant. That seems to have been the case with other visions of what it is to live well that have been accepted in the past. I understand that's not what you mean, though.
  • Streetlight
    A problem, I think, is that the need may be too easily addressed by a vision that's attractive because it's thoughtless (in the sense that it is based on the willing, even eager, acceptance of simple, unquestionable, maxims), exclusive and intolerant. That seems to have been the case with other visions of what it is to live well that have been accepted in the past. I understand that's not what you mean, though.Ciceronianus the White

I agree though, that this is exactly the advantange that most reactionary political philosophies have had over so-called 'progressive' ideas: a monopoly over the imagination with respect to a well-lived life. The left, by contast, have largely let their discourse become bogged down with legalese and state-orientend rhetoric - over 'rights', 'discrimination', 'tolerance', etc - important concepts, but anaemic ones with respect to a vision of life. Also of note is the co-option of that language into the discourse of bigots, who now argue for 'tolerating different points of view' or 'respecting religious rights' in order to shine the scum of their bigotry.

Not sure what that inspiring new narrative could be, but it's something I think about all the time. Eager to check out those links.Erik

check out Monbiot's precis for his recent work on a 'politics of belonging' here: http://www.monbiot.com/2017/09/11/how-do-we-get-out-of-this-mess/

"It is the commons that anchors community. The difference between this approach and David Cameron’s cynical Big Society is that it is not just responsibility that has been devolved, but power, resources and the wealth arising from them. But crucially, it ignites values – community and belonging – that are shared by people across the political spectrum, and across the Brexit divide".

Another work that I thoroughly enjoyed was Bonnie Honig's Public Things.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.